What's the latest on bringing games back to Belmore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
If i recall correctly there was mumblings about bringing a game or two in regular season back to belmore. Does anyone know the latest on this idea? Do it against the Warriors or Canberra on a Sunday arvo. Have a meal and a couple of refreshments down at the club and walk down to the game with the army going crazy. Why dont they just do it? The games would completly sell out every time.

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Might need that extra grandstand as planned for all the fans. I like the idea though.

Stanna man

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Either Sit everyone on the old roof or the peter moore scoreboard Or on the train tracks !!! They do it in India..

the ground unfortunately doesn't comply with NRL standards and regulations..
Yet kogarah does.....

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Greenberg has stated that the only way any FG games would be played at Belmore is if there was a complete upgrade including a new Grandstand. He also stated that its not likely to ever happen. The exact words "we've outgrown Belmore"

Klem Bupa-Berg

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Greenberg has stated that the only way any FG games would be played at Belmore is if there was a complete upgrade including a new Grandstand. He also stated that its not likely to ever happen. The exact words "we've outgrown Belmore"
I still think if its upgraded, we should play those games where the least crowd is generated. Where our fans attend less and opposition fans fail to travel.

ANZ sometimes is too big and hence crowd fails to lift.

Chrisaaar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well considering ANZ pay us so much to play there I doubt we will go back any time soon. If we do it'll be for games against Canberra etc that generate small crowds and it'll be post 2015 when our deal ends with ANZ. They might negotiate a 1 or 2 games a year in the contract type deal.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Hopefully never.
Me too. It's 2013 and we need to be pushing ahead as a powerhouse in the NRL.

I love Belmore, but as a club we need to aspire to something a lot bigger. Even on a bad day we get more fans than Leichhardt, Kogarah, Brookvale and Penrith can hold.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
In all honesty Sydney is lacking a purpose built rectangle stadium with a 35000 capacity that has corporate suites. All we have is sfs which is decent but too east for a few of the teams and anz as the western alternative which holds 80000+ and anything under 40000 looks empty.

Shame the oasis project was scrapped. That would have a great purpose built rectangle stadium.

Parra, leichhardt, kogarah, brookvale, shark park are not really up to professional sporting standards (when you consider the stadiums afl uses)

Anz has great facilities but crap atmosphere. Above mentioned stadiums have great atmosphere but bad facilities.

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The chance to play NRL games against clubs that manifest low-drawing crowds has always depended on getting a 'second phase' upgrade of the facility. So, basically we're waiting on government and council approval (money that is) to do what is needed to meet NRL standards. I'm not sure when the club plans to lobby for that

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Belmore has no parking and not enough seats. Keep it for trial matches.

Haza

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If you want to watch games at Belmore. Go and support the NSWRL boys next home game.

Eagle eye

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
As a Manly fan, the state of Brookvale is a recurring topic if discussion amongst our supporters.

While many of us don't mind Brookie, it's in desperate need of upgrading but finding a government willing to tip in the millions needed is easier said than done.

I remember walking down to Belmore as a kid with my older cousins who were Doggies supporters in the late 70's and loved it. But as much as it brings back great memories, I think it's days are done.

I think ANZ is just too big for home and away games even if it makes sense financially.

MrDogzOfWar

Dogz At War!
Reaction score
I love the idea but every game will be sold out... No Parking and Belmore stadium still has to be Developed more on the grandstand and the hill for BIGGER CROWDS ... That's when we can play back in Belmore??

Fully Sik Drop kick

Abra Kebabra
Reaction score
Shame the oasis project was scrapped. That would have a great purpose built rectangle stadium.
Agreed.
Like it or hate it, that would have been a great stadium and precinct to attend our home games at. Our club definitely needs to explore option of redeveloping Belmore sports ground or building a new purpose built stadium around the 40K seat mark in the Canterbury-Bankstown area

Edroy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't believe there isn't more support for playing a couple of games a year at Belmore. I went to the trial this year and loved being back for the first time in ages. Sitting on the hill is a piece of nostalgia I wish we had more of. 1 or 2 proper games a year would be fine.

As for it not holding enough people, we only got 18k for Manly! All the suburban grounds hold that many. A team like Canberra we'll be lucky to get 15k.

As has been stated, it won't happen anytime soon though, because of it not being NRL standard. The recent development as posted here will help though. I wonder if Todd had much to do with that? By adding multi-use buildings the government is much more likely to further develop the site in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.