Waterhouse's multi-million dollar NRL deal put under microscope

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Coming from a background with a parent who gambled away the family income, I find this intrusive invitation to give a very wealthy man your family finances - by wrapping it up in a seemingly innocent package - totally offensive.

There are avenues in existence for people to throw away their hard-earned money to millionaires. I don't want it in my home.

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Coming from a background with a parent who gambled away the family income, I find this intrusive invitation to give a very wealthy man your family finances - by wrapping it up in a seemingly innocent package - totally offensive.

There are avenues in existence for people to throw away their hard-earned money to millionaires. I don't want it in my home.
Well said buddy!

chris_e_fresh

The Virtual One
Reaction score
All our prayers may be answered soon enough. Apparently he's bitten off more than he can chew with the NRL deal and is swimming into financial turmoil..
apparently a uk firm has offered to buy his business for 300 mil as well

tab corp offered no where near what waterhouse did for the rights and id say tab has alot more smarter people working there then what waterhouse would at his firm

chris_e_fresh

The Virtual One
Reaction score
Bookmaker Tom Waterhouse will be called to attend a specially convened parliamentary hearing into the spread of gambling into live sporting broadcasts.

The 30-year-old Waterhouse has a multimillion-dollar deal with Channel Nine to exclusively spruik odds during football coverage but questions are being asked in Canberra as to whether he is sidestepping a new code of conduct designed to delineate the roles of commentator and bookmaker.

Young kids can't tell the difference between a bookie and a commentator when they're all standing there together.

After paying $15 million for the privilege, Waterhouse has been embedded with the Nine commentary team for NRL broadcasts, updating the changing odds but also giving his opinion on play.
<i>Illustration: Rocco Fazzari</i>

Illustration: Rocco Fazzari

He also hosts a panel discussion with figures such as Phil Gould and commentator Ray Warren on the next day's horse racing form.
Advertisement

Senator Richard di Natale, a member of the gambling reform committee that will invite Waterhouse to appear, said the bookmaker was ''pushing the boundaries''. ''Young kids can't tell the difference between a bookie and a commentator when they're all standing there together,'' he said.

''Tom Waterhouse has been a lightning rod for the anger that's brewing about the constant bombardment of betting odds on TV, often when kids are watching.'' Waterhouse did not return calls for comment.

A government member of the committee, Stephen Jones, told Parliament last week. ''I think I am in union with most average football fans when I say: enough is enough. I have spoken to many people within my electorate, many other sports fans and many other parents on this matter, and they just about explode when you raise the issue with them … they complain their kids can now quote the odds on their team winning or losing.''

Advertising by gambling companies is banned during the G-rated periods - but an exception was made for sport.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/polit...ing-inquiry-20130326-2gs9r.html#ixzz2OgUg6OMd

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The NRL have told Channel Nine that Tom Waterhouse needs to be clearly identified as sports betting operator on their NRL coverage from now on, not a Nine personality.

During match coverage, Waterhouse will be by himself and not with a member the Nine commentary team. His microphone will display a sign for Tom Waterhouse, not Nine. He will only talk about sporting odds and not the game.

Are you happy with these changes?
https://www.facebook.com/LeagueWeek?fref=ts

Hallelujah! After Appearing at a specially convened parliamentary hearing into gambling reform on Wednesday, The NRL now says Tom Waterhouse will now have to appear by himself and will not be interviewed by members of the Channel 9 commentary team.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/NRL-Gossip/179095278805107?fref=ts

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Does this also mean when Karl Stefanovic pops up on Friday Night footy, he has to be clearly labelled as moron and not a celebrity?

Stanna man

Kennel Established
Reaction score
And if we throw in Derryn Hinch then they can be called the Three Stooges!
Really disappointed with ch9 this year, they have the "today" show crew hosting Thursday and Friday night instead of league legends....
then you have the footy show where 30 minutes of the 2.5 hours is actual footy talk. The rest is trash!!!
fox sports has them all covered with their programmes ...

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Cameron Williams is the guy hosting. It's utterly ridiculous.

When he pretends to know what he is talking about it makes me want to vomit. It's just as bad as having Michael Slater as the main Footy Show host. I just don't get it.

At least Tom Waterhouse won't be involved in any game talk anymore, that was by far the worst aspect.

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Cameron Williams is the guy hosting. It's utterly ridiculous.

When he pretends to know what he is talking about it makes me want to vomit. It's just as bad as having Michael Slater as the main Footy Show host. I just don't get it.

At least Tom Waterhouse won't be involved in any game talk anymore, that was by far the worst aspect.
Whats next, Tommy Raudonikis hosting a kids educational show!

Status
Not open for further replies.