Matthew Elliott has been appointed New Zealand Warriors coach for the next two years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Elliott arrives at the club under immediate pressure to overturn a disappointing 2012 campaign, in which they went from grand finalists the year prior to missing the top eight entirely.

Elliott, who becomes the eighth head coach at the New Zealand club, brings an experienced head having coached for 14 seasons in the NRL and English Super League.

"We're thrilled to secure a coach of Matthew's calibre,'' Warriors chief executive Wayne Scurrah said in a statement.

"He's had wide experience and success with a number of clubs, initially making his mark winning titles with Bradford in the English Super League and also taking Canberra and Penrith to the NRL finals a total of five times.''

Elliott takes the job from interim coach Tony Iro, who replaced sacked coach Brian McClennan late into the season.

But Warriors players and former New Zealand champions were united in slamming the club's decision to appoint Elliott over Iro, a local favourite.

"The players all want Tony to be the coach," Warriors forward Elijah Taylor said.

New Zealand's legendary halfback, Gary Freeman, said: "It will be a tough place to walk into when the players want someone else."

Iro has incredible support after being named interim coach in August when Brian McClennan was sacked.

"It's taken far too long," said Taylor, who plays for New Zealand in the Test against Australia in Townsville. "I feel sorry for Tony Iro. He is in limbo, just like the players, and he has family.

"The players all want Tony to be the coach. He has been there for seven years. The majority of our team are Toyota Cup players and Tony has brought us all through.

"I don't understand why he doesn't get a shot. He has been assistant coach of the Kiwis, assistant coach of the NRL side now for the last four years.

"They were saying (they wanted) a supercoach, a Bennett or Bellamy. I'm a player and whatever coach comes I've got to do my job."

At NRL level, Elliott has coached in 236 games for 108 wins and a success rate of 45.8 per cent. Elliott, 47, is a survivor, having coached at Canberra, Penrith and Bradford.

The Warriors struggled to name a coach after a number of candidates - Craig Bellamy, Tim Sheens, Shane Flanagan, Justin Morgan, David Kidwell and Steve Kearney - dropped out.

"While we have spoken to a number of contenders, Matthew consistently impressed us every time we met him with his total vision of how our football program should be structured and run,'' Scurrah said.

"Through his long association with the game as a player and especially as a coach, he appreciates as much as anyone just what's required to achieve the standards we are striving for.

"This is a tremendous opportunity for Matthew as head coach to shape our football department to enable us to become a consistent threat in the NRL.

"Our ultimate goal will always be to win premierships and, in Matthew, we have secured a coach not only capable of achieving this but also with the skills and vision to build a stronger total football club.''

Taylor said the Warriors may have cost Iro the job by performing poorly in their final two games this year.

"He was chucked in the deep end, two games to go to make something out of it," Taylor said.

"That was his job interview I suppose and it's not very fair.

"He needs a decent shot."

Freeman, who played 45 Tests for the Kiwis, was just as shocked.

"I am surprised," Freeman said. "I thought they would have given Tony Iro an opportunity.

"He took over toward the end of the year in tough circumstances and I think the club needed a fresh start.

"New coaches need to come in at some stage. Tony would have given the Warriors a fresh and vibrant style.

"I spoke to Tony and he wanted to get his hands on the team and make his own mark."

"It will be a tough place to walk into when the players want someone else."

Read more: http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/...rs/story-fn2mcuj6-1226494112614#ixzz294xdxxrF

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I found this on the NZ Warriors Forum and found it pretty interesting:

Raurimu MassiveWarriors Bench Player

Possibly not the right place for this thread, but it does relate to the rumours of players derailing the season due to dissatisfaction with Bluey.

I was speaking yesterday with a guy who played both Super 12 and provincial rugby for quite a few years, and as a league fan himself he's made acquaintances with quite a few NRL players from the past. I made a comment about the rumours of player unrest in 2012, and he said "You'd be absolutely amazed at how often players either want to, or do, take control of the team in some way." He said that there'd been no less than three player coups in top level teams he'd played in, one of them went as far as sitting the coach down and telling him that "for the rest of the season, you're only the coach on paper".

Also mentioned that the same sort of thing happens in the NRL, whether it's players actively taking over (like Leeds did with Bluey) or players not putting in the effort because they know they're going to win before they even get on field, and even players pretending injuries are worse than they are to avoid playing.

He was saying that for the players to get to that sort of mindset, there are serious problems in the team and club; also made the comment that even in a small community like NZ, the general public is blissfully ignorant of team dynamics, and what really goes on. I'd asked him about a provincial legend that he'd played with for most of his career, a guy who was constantly held up as a paragon of NZ rugby virtue and toughness. He just laughed and said the guy got no respect whatsoever from any team-mates, and even junior players never looked up to him. Nearly his entire reputation came from looking like a hard man, and doing lots of fundraising for his club.

Read more: http://www.nzwarriorsfans.com/threads/player-power-coups.7935/#ixzz2956JUUEo

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah, the Warriors players stopped putting in the effort under Bluey, just like they did under Anderson in 2004.

Inruin

New Pup
Reaction score
if our players could stop believing thier own hype and start fronting up we might be an ok team. need a take no **** type coach like hasler/bellamy. hopefully elliott can put his foot down.

PantherPower83

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe Taylor should shut up and focus on playing football. Players don't get a say on who coaches and nor should they.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Wonder how many player's have made a call to their manager to look for offers. Playing under a sacked assistant coach from a cannon fodder team can't be the most exciting prospect.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
Wonder how many player's have made a call to their manager to look for offers. Playing under a sacked assistant coach from a cannon fodder team can't be the most exciting prospect.
This will not end well with Elliot... the Warriors need a coach who is very disciplined that can keep them on their toes, Elliot nor Sheens are this type of coach.

MP4 - Eedz

C.O.T.B
Reaction score
Maybe Taylor should shut up and focus on playing football. Players don't get a say on who coaches and nor should they.
x2

Especially considering these players (not just in 2012, but for many years) haven’t put in for their coach, club, supporters or themselves. They get VERY little say IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.