Sydney Kings reject now an LA Lakers player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
"I DIDN'T believe it when I heard my name called. I still can't believe it," Ater Majok admitted yesterday. "I'm still in a dream."

It's been almost a month since the young giant from Blacktown in western Sydney was picked by the Los Angeles Lakers in the NBA draft and Majok is still reeling.

He's not the only one. Very few pundits in Australia or elsewhere figured he had a chance of being drafted this year - or any other year. Shows how little they know.

At 211cm, or 6ft 11in with a 7ft 5in wingspan - the world of hoops persists in using imperial measurements - Majok has been typecast as a centre in Australia and in Europe even though he believed, and kept telling anyone who'd listen, he was really a small forward best suited to playing the three spot.

Finally someone listened. It happened to be the Lakers, one of the most famous and successful franchises in the history of pro ball.

It's Jack Nicholson's team and the club where Kareem Abdul Jabar, Magic Johnson, Wilt Chamberlain, Shaquille O'Neal and Kobe Bryant have won NBA championships.

Having been overlooked by the Sydney Kings, Majok, 24, is now working out in LA.

"I look at myself as a mismatched forward," Majok said. "If you put a smaller guy against me I can change his shot or block it and if I'm up against bigger guys I can take them off the bounce (dribble).

"I'm between a small forward and a power forward, and that's what the Lakers drafted me as."

Majok so impressed Lakers scouts at a European NBA trial in Treviso, Italy, that they brought him to LA for a private workout where he wowed them again with his length and athleticism.

But things did not start well.

"The first day at the Euro camp they put me on a team at No. 5 (centre) and I didn't do too good. I got hit in the eye and couldn't see," Majok told The Daily Telegraph.

"The next day I switched teams and I ended up playing the three. I guarded one of the top small forwards from Europe. I held him down to 10 points or something ridiculous and I knocked down a couple of threes and a jump shot.

"That's when the Lakers became interested.

Majok came to Australia as a refugee from Sudan's civil war and with coaching from Edward Smith he became the inspiration of the Sudanese community which, in NSW, numbers more than 150,000.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
this proves that sydney kings is a bigger club than the lakers

kobe bryant if he plays well maybe could join the kings one day

OITENTA-E-NOVE

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, what a change of fortune for the guy. must have worked extremely hard.

Parra_Power

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It's Jack Nicholson's team and the club where Kareem Abdul Jabar, Magic Johnson, Wilt Chamberlain, Shaquille O'Neal and Kobe Bryant have won NBA championships.
Not anymore...

But this is great news. One man's strive to prove just how good he is in the game of hoops and if you're given a call up by the Lakers, you know you've made it in Basketball. I guess we'll have to wait an see how he is eased into the team next season and how much game time he is entrusted with during the regular season.

~stacie

Michael Ennis ♥
Reaction score
Haha, he's my friends' neighbour. All the best to him!

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He's retarded. He can't play basketball one bit. He's tall, long and athletic and can rebound and block but he knoiws nothing about how to actually play the game. I've played against him before and seen him play many times since.

I couldn't believe it when he was one of the most recruited players in the US to go to college and UConn basically axed him after one year after he averaged like 4 points! Since then he's bounced around from Europe to the NBL to Europe and so on and there's a reason for that. Everyone gets tempted by his athleticism etc and when they get their hands on him soon realise he's a complete spaz who won't listen or learn and is ONLY there to get some money.

The Lakers only took him with one of the last picks in the second round because they hoped that one day such a spaz would learn how to play basketball because it's hard to find guys with his length, size and athleticism. He'll never, ever play in the NBA. Ever.

TJW

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
maybe one day in the right position and right coaching he might be as good as he thinks he is????

PigBenis

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He's retarded. He can't play basketball one bit. He's tall, long and athletic and can rebound and block but he knoiws nothing about how to actually play the game. I've played against him before and seen him play many times since.

I couldn't believe it when he was one of the most recruited players in the US to go to college and UConn basically axed him after one year after he averaged like 4 points! Since then he's bounced around from Europe to the NBL to Europe and so on and there's a reason for that. Everyone gets tempted by his athleticism etc and when they get their hands on him soon realise he's a complete spaz who won't listen or learn and is ONLY there to get some money.

The Lakers only took him with one of the last picks in the second round because they hoped that one day such a spaz would learn how to play basketball because it's hard to find guys with his length, size and athleticism. He'll never, ever play in the NBA. Ever.

BaYry Ward

Former Immortal
Reaction score

How's your mate Justin Hodges going? I told you he was broken. He's finished.

I think you mad too..

Back OT

The biggest Kings reject has to be Stephen Jackson surely. As Ben was saying, this Majok bloke defines tard.

OITENTA-E-NOVE

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How's your mate Justin Hodges going? I told you he was broken. He's finished.

I think you mad too..

Back OT

The biggest Kings reject has to be Stephen Jackson surely. As Ben was saying, this Majok bloke defines tard.
Stephen jackson went on a foreign exploration of bball after college. Everything turned out right for him though, scoring plenty and winning a championship.

ByRd

DOGGIE ARMY
Reaction score
Good luck to him but he wont make the final squad for the next season and i doubt he ever suits up in a Laker uniform

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Haha. I love how some people think I'm too harsh about this.

I played against him. First of all that gives me a great perspective very few people would have. Secondly that means I played against him!! I mean, at my best I'm quite a good player and would still be ABA level if I wanted it. But if I played against him recently and wasn't impressed at all and have seen him and everything since, and I'm only a scrub compared to the freaks that play even in the lowest levels of the NBA, if I know that then how is that not harsh but common sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.