What Gibbs really said to Hannant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
• Length Alert •

If you haven't met me in the flesh, you'll no doubt be aware I have a big mouth.
And I dont just say that because I can fit it around the rim of a glass, or put my fist in it.

Here's something life has taught me the hard way many, many times - You CAN'T tell people what should offend them and what shouldn't ! Sorry folks ... that's just the way it is.

There are a few select topics that instantly raise the ire of me. These occur because I am sensitive to the issue, and find it very difficult to tolerate people who are intolerant or ill-educated on certain issues near and dear to me.

As an example ... "Suicide" - THAT topic (non-religious mind you) often finds me on the recieving end of some seemingly innocent 'joke'.Unfortunately for me, every time someone says "go neck yourself" I have to fight hard not to focus on what life experience sadly taught me. With time and exposure to repeat incidents, I have learned to be more tolerant and turn the other cheek a little - This comes from learning the hard way that people can't be expected to "know" what offends me.

Do I accept it ? Somewhat.

Generally I like to make the world a happier place. But sometimes you're just NOT gonna win anything but an aneurysm doing a sole-crusade. Should someone comes along and tells me to HTFU, what do you reckon my smart-arsed mouth is gonna do ? There's no way in hell I will allow them to tell me why I should/shouldn't get offended. My experiences are profound. My knowledge strong.

There's another edge to this sword .... it's called someone else's perspective !

In my time on The Kennel, I have offended people over the following issues ....

• Jokes about Virgin Mary at Xmas.
• Being fat.
• Posting graphic images containing injury or nudity.
• Swearing too much.
• Be-littling people's intelligence/views.
• My views on Indian protesters.
• My views on Indonesian Government.
... to name but a mere few.

Going into some of these issues I was aware it may have caused some offence, but may not have realised how much. Other times I had no intention of offending anyone but still managed to, depsite giving it great thought and consideration.

If at this point you find yourself on the opposite end of criticism, it's probably a good guide that you've offended them. Is that OK to do ? Well, that's up to each of us to decide, but personally speaking it's not OK to get to that point because usually "it's not the intended result". So I'll apologise, explain myself, back down, mend fences, redirect, acknoweldge msiatakes ..... anythign to let people know what I really meant - If I can stop them being offended then I will. Telling them to HTFU certainly does not help.

This place is wonderful for an education is topics you may not otherwise get the chance to learn about ... long held pre-conceptions can be blown out of the water with a simple chat to another Dogs fan. As an example, these days I am one of the most vocal defenders of Muslim's whenever anyone labels a Bulldogs fan a terrorist. I am as white as a milk-bottle.

So what does this all mean for the Hannant and Gibbs issue ?

It means Ben's Mormon faith, is another person's Islam.
Gibbs's taunts are another's "***" taunts.

The problem I have with Gibbs was that he "deliberately targetted what he knew to be a sensitive topic". There's simply no room for "Sorry bro I had no idea". It's the height of arrogance that Gibbs is allowed to give Hannant a serve when requested for an apology.

This "what happends on the field stays on the field" mentality is p*ss-weak in this instance. Gibbs is using it a a convenient hook to hang his little barb on because he knows in the real world you're NOT allowed to do that sh*t without consequences. There's no amount of "it was just a joke-slash-in-the-heat-of-the-monent" in it.

Deliberate. Targetted. Intended.

All the hallmarks of an arrogant, ill-educated douche ... ill-equipped to properly deal with his own failure as a footballer.

ThePedigree

Blue Ribbon
Reaction score
^^ onya Captain! Spot on. I wish I could articulate my feelings into words as well as you do. Great post.

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I applaude you both for having common sense. If he said something about Jesus or Mary, or Muhammed or Allah - most on this forum would go spastic, including myself. There is absolutely no room for this bull**** in our game, or in our society.

I am not a Mormon, and I might think the religion in itself is far off from something I would believe in - but Hannant has every right to believe what he likes, and he deserves some ****ing respect for whatever he wants to believe. Anyone who wants to question him or mock him for what he believes in can **** right off.

For Gibbs to walk away unpunished says it's ok to mock people for what they believe in. Some people don't see the big picture.
It's not a question of whether people are religious or not and no one doubts it's not a good thing to say.

However it's also a game of football. It's not parliament. Bryce Gibbs isn't the Prime Minister. So who gives a f**k what he has to say? If he wants to make himself look bad and say classless things then let him run his mouth off and smash him the next game. Simple. You get a million times worse on a night out from f**kwits on the street and with all of the things that are said throughout the course of ones life, this is hardly going to haunt anyone until their death.

I'm not doubting Hannant's faith or his right to get upset. I'm just saying surely this isn't that big a deal. If there weren't TV cameras, hundreds of thousands of people watching and many more reading about it, nothing would be said. If a mate of yours told you a guy on the street said the same thing to him about his religion then you'd say "what a d**khead..." and that would be the end of the discussion. You wouldn't rant and rave about one remark for days after would you? No, because you learn to deal with f**kwits saying hurtful and stupid things. That is a part of life. Well, same thing applies here. It's no different just because they're in the spotlight.

So just because football players are involved lets not turn it into a massive situation when it really isn't. As insulted as Hannant may have been, if this is the worst thing that will ever happen to him then he would have lived a charmed life.
These 2 posts sum up the thread well.

BulldogStar

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It's not a question of whether people are religious or not and no one doubts it's not a good thing to say.

However it's also a game of football. It's not parliament. Bryce Gibbs isn't the Prime Minister. So who gives a f**k what he has to say? If he wants to make himself look bad and say classless things then let him run his mouth off and smash him the next game. Simple. You get a million times worse on a night out from f**kwits on the street and with all of the things that are said throughout the course of ones life, this is hardly going to haunt anyone until their death.

I'm not doubting Hannant's faith or his right to get upset. I'm just saying surely this isn't that big a deal. If there weren't TV cameras, hundreds of thousands of people watching and many more reading about it, nothing would be said. If a mate of yours told you a guy on the street said the same thing to him about his religion then you'd say "what a d**khead..." and that would be the end of the discussion. You wouldn't rant and rave about one remark for days after would you? No, because you learn to deal with f**kwits saying hurtful and stupid things. That is a part of life. Well, same thing applies here. It's no different just because they're in the spotlight.

So just because football players are involved lets not turn it into a massive situation when it really isn't. As insulted as Hannant may have been, if this is the worst thing that will ever happen to him then he would have lived a charmed life.
I mostly agree with this.

But your point about it being on a football field being the only reason its been made into a big deal can be seen in a different way.

If a young kid looks up to Bryce Gibbs (farfetched but possible haha) and sees him vilifying another religion, they may think it is ok and lends to a bigger issue and a bigger problem. Thats why it is different to a random comment in a street.

It goes back to the fact they are role models and in the public eye, they cant get away with saying **** like that!

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I mostly agree with this.

But your point about it being on a football field being the only reason its been made into a big deal can be seen in a different way.

If a young kid looks up to Bryce Gibbs (farfetched but possible haha) and sees him vilifying another religion, they may think it is ok and lends to a bigger issue and a bigger problem. Thats why it is different to a random comment in a street.

It goes back to the fact they are role models and in the public eye, they cant get away with saying **** like that!
I understand what you're saying even if it is Bryce Gibbs and no kid in the world would see him as their hero. Haha.

One of my main points though is that the media and public are blowing this out of proportion giving it more attention than it deserves. It kills me that in this day and age everything can be seen on camera and heard on microphone. Or that one stupid comment from one idiot who is in the public eye will become a national news story followed up for a week. That the whole role model line is even put out there to begin with for a meathead prop like Bryce Gibbs. I'm not having a go at you, just the fact that this is perceived to be the case by so many in this day and age about people who never should be considered "role models" in the first place.

To me, in an ideal world, everyone would wonder what was said but no one would know. Gibbs would have his own justice handed out to him when we next play them. That's as far as it should go.

Anyway, here I am saying this is all being talked about way too much but here I am talking about it way too much! :D

habibsta

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Not really that big a deal.................... deal with it on the field and move on, who cares what someone else thinks about your values?
Depends what your values mean to you.. If it means nothing to you, You walk away which he tried to do but it hit him. If he insulted my religon i would currently be at the Judicary

BootS

Danned
Reaction score
Clearly Gibbs need to be sent back to Islam where he came from.

BulldogStar

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I understand what you're saying even if it is Bryce Gibbs and no kid in the world would see him as their hero. Haha.

One of my main points though is that the media and public are blowing this out of proportion giving it more attention than it deserves. It kills me that in this day and age everything can be seen on camera and heard on microphone. Or that one stupid comment from one idiot who is in the public eye will become a national news story followed up for a week. That the whole role model line is even put out there to begin with for a meathead prop like Bryce Gibbs. I'm not having a go at you, just the fact that this is perceived to be the case by so many in this day and age about people who never should be considered "role models" in the first place.

To me, in an ideal world, everyone would wonder what was said but no one would know. Gibbs would have his own justice handed out to him when we next play them. That's as far as it should go.

Anyway, here I am saying this is all being talked about way too much but here I am talking about it way too much! :D
Yep completely agree with you, especially the bolded line. But the unfortunate fact is that because of the public nature of their job they are role models and have to act in an appropriate way. Its just the nature of our society

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
If you haven't met me in the flesh, you'll no doubt be aware I have a big mouth.
And I dont just say that because I can fit it around the rim of a glass, or put my fist in it.

Here's something life has taught me the hard way many, many times - You CAN'T tell people what should offend them and what shouldn't ! Sorry folks ... that's just the way it is.

There are a few select topics that instantly raise the ire of me. These occur because I am sensitive to the issue, and find it very difficult to tolerate people who are intolerant or ill-educated on certain issues near and dear to me.

As an example ... "Suicide" - THAT topic (non-religious mind you) often finds me on the recieving end of some seemingly innocent 'joke'.Unfortunately for me, every time someone says "go neck yourself" I have to fight hard not to focus on what life experience sadly taught me. With time and exposure to repeat incidents, I have learned to be more tolerant and turn the other cheek a little - This comes from learning the hard way that people can't be expected to "know" what offends me.

Do I accept it ? Somewhat.

Generally I like to make the world a happier place. But sometimes you're just NOT gonna win anything but an aneurysm doing a sole-crusade. Should someone comes along and tells me to HTFU, what do you reckon my smart-arsed mouth is gonna do ? There's no way in hell I will allow them to tell me why I should/shouldn't get offended. My experiences are profound. My knowledge strong.

There's another edge to this sword .... it's called someone else's perspective !

In my time on The Kennel, I have offended people over the following issues ....

• Jokes about Virgin Mary at Xmas.
• Being fat.
• Posting graphic images containing injury or nudity.
• Swearing too much.
• Be-littling people's intelligence/views.
• My views on Indian protesters.
• My views on Indonesian Government.
... to name but a mere few.

Going into some of these issues I was aware it may have caused some offence, but may not have realised how much. Other times I had no intention of offending anyone but still managed to, depsite giving it great thought and consideration.

If at this point you find yourself on the opposite end of criticism, it's probably a good guide that you've offended them. Is that OK to do ? Well, that's up to each of us to decide, but personally speaking it's not OK to get to that point because usually "it's not the intended result". So I'll apologise, explain myself, back down, mend fences, redirect, acknoweldge msiatakes ..... anythign to let people know what I really meant - If I can stop them being offended then I will. Telling them to HTFU certainly does not help.

This place is wonderful for an education is topics you may not otherwise get the chance to learn about ... long held pre-conceptions can be blown out of the water with a simple chat to another Dogs fan. As an example, these days I am one of the most vocal defenders of Muslim's whenever anyone labels a Bulldogs fan a terrorist. I am as white as a milk-bottle.

So what does this all mean for the Hannant and Gibbs issue ?

It means Ben's Mormon faith, is another person's Islam.
Gibbs's taunts are another's "***" taunts.

The problem I have with Gibbs was that he "deliberately targetted what he knew to be a sensitive topic". There's simply no room for "Sorry bro I had no idea". It's the height of arrogance that Gibbs is allowed to give Hannant a serve when requested for an apology.

This "what happends on the field stays on the field" mentality is p*ss-weak in this instance. Gibbs is using it a a convenient hook to hang his little barb on because he knows in the real world you're NOT allowed to do that sh*t without consequences. There's no amount of "it was just a joke-slash-in-the-heat-of-the-monent" in it.

Deliberate. Targetted. Intended.

All the hallmarks of an arrogant, ill-educated douche ... ill-equipped to properly deal with his own failure as a footballer.
well written...just unfortunate that there is alot of arrogant and ignorant people in the world tbh

DoGs_R_dA_BeSt™

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
thats not what was said.. what was said was "all Mormons are a bunch of ****" and kept on dribbling **** about Mormons!!

C

chipandchase

look all this is bull****, what happens on the field stays on the field, it is as simple as that. all the dogs do next time they play the tigers they bash the fuuk out of gibbes, thats the best square up and the way things have done over the years.
who cares what he said, hannant should just take into his own hands the next time they play him and the rest of the dogs forwards should jump on board.

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
but i think there's a fine line of what's appropriate and what's not...personally i dont think taking the piss outta someone's religion is appropriate whether we agree with it or not is irrelevant

C

chipandchase

but i think there's a fine line of what's appropriate and what's not...personally i dont think taking the piss outta someone's religion is appropriate whether we agree with it or not is irrelevant
honestly everyone needs to get over this religiion crap, ive had stuff said about family etc when i played, much worse than religion,you just get square on the field. Hanannt reacted in the right way and tried to belt him. he couldnt get to him so next time im sure he will make sure of it. the dogs need to toughen up.

sirpartyman

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
If a person believes in a faith then they should show faith and not care what other peeps think.
Its no different If I believe in the tooth fiery that no one sees ,I might pray to the tooth fiery every night and if someone comes up to me and says your tooth fiery sucks Im not gonna be offended because I have faith in my tooth fiery :-)

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Who cares, I have idiots accusing me of crap 5 - 10 -15 years ago, I live for today, we have a Premiership at stake and we need to try and get the team focussed so we can get into the eight, we are already six points down.

JackTheLad

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
for someone like hannant that is personal.

Replace mormon with your faith and i bet you will take it different.
OR replace Mormon with "your family" and they won't find it funny either. Most people don't understand what it is like to belong to a community or faith.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
People are that rude these days, they dont give a dam about trying to make a grown man cry for a giggle, its part of modern life, only the strong survive.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
If you haven't met me in the flesh, you'll no doubt be aware I have a big mouth..
Lol i wouldnt say that ...except that the only time i met you so far, was only for 10 minutes because you got ejected from the ground for yelling "You fkn carnts" to some coppers.

Funny stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.