"High Profile Player About To Commit Suicide"

Status
Not open for further replies.

North Shore Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I suffer from mental illness

The problem is that at times you have no control over how you feel. Its like a diabetic whos body dosnt produce insulin.... except with mental illness your body dosnt produce the right chemicals in your brain to keep you stable.

And depression like you know it is different to the depression that inflicts people with mental illness. As much as you want to feel happy, you are stuck in what I call 'living hell'. One episode that I had I didnt sleep and eat for 2 weeks, lost 20 kg and nearly lost my mind. It really is that bad at times.

With medication and support, life can be normalised to the point where enjoyment in life comes back.

So all those with 'HTFU' comments, your problem is obviously not mental illness, but a more serious condition that inflicts mankind, a condition that has caused much grief to society.

Its called IGNORANCE.

-Kurry-

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As a layman, i find it hard to understang what could be so wrong in someones life they would need to kill themself. And we as commoners think being a celebrity, whilst demanding would be pretty awesome. WE sit here thinking great money, great chicks (guys :p), doing our dream job, hanging with mates every day, being idolised, at the expensive of a bit of privacy if we muck up.
But it would have to be too much, it never stops...expectations can weaken a person more than any other feeling in this world.

I will never support those who whack themself off ( yes i have dealt with suicide, just before anyone gets on their high horse), and i DO think this man should seek help and harden the **** up.
Whatever he is dealing with, there are people doing worse. Sometimes we are too selfish....and i don't are if depression is a mental illness, it is selfish if they do not get help with it...and yes yes to all you do gooders i understand their mindset tells them not to share and keep it bottled up.

Good on johns for making this public in a dignified manner

-Kurry-

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
None of you have a ****in clue what people go through. So leave your harden up comments to yourself.

Bi-Polar/Depression is an illness.

It's like your mother has cancer and is so sick she can walk and someone tells her to "harden the **** up"

If you havn't had someone close to you Suicide from depression you should shut the **** up.
I have.

And i wish i could bring her back and slap her out ,then hug her.

The pain the family goes through after is probably 5x worse than what that one person went through before their death.
Yes they don't think "straight" and logically, but if they don't seek help, then they are being selfish to their family.

moefromoz

Metal Guru
Reaction score
I dont think he was talking about anyone

He was just saying that with the extra scrutiny the players are under, its more likely to happen
I read Joeys' article and that was my take on it too.
He wasn't pointing his finger at any particular player.
He was just saying that we could see it happen. I agree with him.
It's happened before...RL lost Peter Jackson [r.i.p] and Steve Rogers [r.i.p] to suicide...both men had their own personal and very different reasons and I'm certainly not going to judge either one of them.
Has there been others? atm I can only think of those 2 great men.
People from all walks of life suicide and, as proven, it's happened in RL before...of course it could happen again.
These guys play RL...but they're only people...like the rest of us.
Who knows what the future holds for any of us?
But one thing is for sure and certain.......
The next person to suicide WILL be a person...a human being...ANY ONE OF US.

Last edited by a moderator:

dragons_princess

Hung it on Ma Wall
Reaction score
None of you have a ****in clue what people go through. So leave your harden up comments to yourself.

It's like your mother has cancer and is so sick she can walk and someone tells her to "harden the **** up"

If you havn't had someone close to you Suicide from depression you should shut the **** up.
Agreed 100%

As Custard said if you have no idea what it feels like to watch someone you love suffer, then you cant comment on the situation.

It is an illness and is treated like one.

North Shore Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
As a layman, i find it hard to understang what could be so wrong in someones life they would need to kill themself. And we as commoners think being a celebrity, whilst demanding would be pretty awesome. WE sit here thinking great money, great chicks (guys :p), doing our dream job, hanging with mates every day, being idolised, at the expensive of a bit of privacy if we muck up.
But it would have to be too much, it never stops...expectations can weaken a person more than any other feeling in this world.

I will never support those who whack themself off ( yes i have dealt with suicide, just before anyone gets on their high horse), and i DO think this man should seek help and harden the **** up.
Whatever he is dealing with, there are people doing worse. Sometimes we are too selfish....and i don't are if depression is a mental illness, it is selfish if they do not get help with it...and yes yes to all you do gooders i understand their mindset tells them not to share and keep it bottled up.

Have you ever though how could an anoerexic look at themselves in the mirror and think they look fat?

Well its because mental illness is irrational. You dont think straight. Your thoughts are mixed and you feel like you are not living in the real world. Thats why some people take their lives and thats why people who have not experienced it find it hard to understand.

Its got nothing to do with being selfish. Its got to do with not being rational.

Foreigner

*Stop The Bytchazzness!*
Reaction score
You may think its selfish, but to that person he/she may not know any other way out. Therapy may be there, but it not easy getting help when you feel helpless and alone. Mental illness is not something you have to get over and tough up. Indeed its hard to understand, but it happens for one reason or another.

ThatsNikkisTeam

Reaction score

If you think mental illness is that clear cut then you have no idea what your talking about.

You can't just harden the F*** up from it. Its like telling someone with cancer to harden the F*** up. Its not like someone if just having a sook because they didn't get their own way.

Yeah footy players live privileged lives. They have plenty of money, plenty of fans and they get paid to play a great game.

I myself can't understand why someone would kill themselves but i am not about to critise someone who has done it because i have no idea what the hell was going through their mind and for them to take such a huge step shows they must of been a troubled soul.

Its not always easy to ask for help. I have known some of the smartest people with a very loving family & pretty good life suffer depression. Its can hit anyone even yourself....

-Kurry-

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you ever though how could an anoerexic look at themselves in the mirror and think they look fat?

Well its because mental illness is irrational. You dont think straight. Your thoughts are mixed and you feel like you are not living in the real world. Thats why some people take their lives and thats why people who have not experienced it find it hard to understand.

Its got nothing to do with being selfish. Its got to do with not being rational.
If you think mental illness is that clear cut then you have no idea what your talking about.

You can't just harden the F*** up from it. Its like telling someone with cancer to harden the F*** up. Its not like someone if just having a sook because they didn't get their own way.

Yeah footy players live privileged lives. They have plenty of money, plenty of fans and they get paid to play a great game.

I myself can't understand why someone would kill themselves but i am not about to critise someone who has done it because i have no idea what the hell was going through their mind and for them to take such a huge step shows they must of been a troubled soul.

Its not always easy to ask for help. I have known some of the smartest people with a very loving family & pretty good life suffer depression. Its can hit anyone even yourself....
If both of you think i am that simple minded, you should bot HTFU too.
Im SURE i mentioned in my post about them not thinking rational and it is hard but they can still seek help.
I DOn't believe i mentioned JUST to harden the **** up, it seems as if that is the only thing you pulled out of my post.

p.s- before you say i have no idea what i am talking about, ask the 5 + people i knew with depression and oen that knocked themself off. Two of which helped when i didn't give them sympathy and gave them the cold hard truth about how they need to snap out of it and get help or be forever selfish.
If you don't get help when there IS support around ou trying to help, yes i will stand by my position that they are selfish.
AS I MENTIONED (ignore that too?) they have a mindset where they won't talk about it, and rot inside their own sad shell, and that is only an issue when there is no one supporting them.

Sometimes they can't be helped, but atleast try.

M

Mr Miyagi

Well done, about time said something to the little dumb ***** in here

M

Mr Miyagi

I suffer from mental illness

The problem is that at times you have no control over how you feel. Its like a diabetic whos body dosnt produce insulin.... except with mental illness your body dosnt produce the right chemicals in your brain to keep you stable.

And depression like you know it is different to the depression that inflicts people with mental illness. As much as you want to feel happy, you are stuck in what I call 'living hell'. One episode that I had I didnt sleep and eat for 2 weeks, lost 20 kg and nearly lost my mind. It really is that bad at times.

With medication and support, life can be normalised to the point where enjoyment in life comes back.

So all those with 'HTFU' comments, your problem is obviously not mental illness, but a more serious condition that inflicts mankind, a condition that has caused much grief to society.

Its called IGNORANCE.
All the best dude, I do health ed classes for depression groups and behind every case there is a story to be told somewhere along the line, being a rough life experience or an experience during their lows.
Watching them smile and be happy by the end of my session is one of the most satisfying parts of my job.

PigBenis

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You don't commit suicide because some is taking pic of you and following you around night clubs or you playd a bad game.. if you cant handle the lifestyle get fu3k out

M

Mr Miyagi

You don't commit suicide because some is taking pic of you and following you around night clubs or you playd a bad game.. if you cant handle the lifestyle get fu3k out
STFU dikhed, Being a star with money does not mean you are on top of the world.
Those factors are just extras on already underlying isssues.
For some one who is down and out mentally those little things snow ball into and compound their already existing issues

-Kurry-

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
IF the depression IS due to the football lifestye, do a tim smith and get he hell out if you cannot handle it.
If it is an unrelated issue that goes deeper than footy, then well that's another issue.

M

Mr Miyagi

IF the depression IS due to the football lifestye, do a tim smith and get he hell out if you cannot handle it.
If it is an unrelated issue that goes deeper than footy, then well that's another issue.
The issues would always be deeper than a few cameras and groupies following them around.
I highly doubt the footy aspect of it would ever be the sole reason for their woes.
Their are certain dik head parents who I have seen give their children complexes when it comes to performance on the field though.
Those parents are a disgrace tbh, livivng their own dreams through their children and making the kids pay dearly for it too with extreme abuse.
I remeber in one of my junior sides one of the parents came on and belted the fuk out oof his kid after we lost in extra time.
Unfortunately the abuse and pressures from parents is fairly common

PigBenis

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
STFU dikhed, Being a star with money does not mean you are on top of the world.
Those factors are just extras on already underlying isssues.
For some one who is down and out mentally those little things snow ball into and compound their already existing issues
what hell u on about im talking about the footballers lifestyle.. if they cant handle the lifestyle get the **** out. im not talking the disease they have and cant u reply without insulting or is a way to make you feel good

M

Mr Miyagi

what hell u on about im talking about the footballers lifestyle.. if they cant handle the lifestyle get the **** out. im not talking the disease they have and cant u reply without insulting or is a way to make you feel good
Have you ever been in their shoes?
If not stfu, 1 of my mates is playing nyc for the dogs and another one of my mates is in the ESL after leaving the roosters in 05.
The lifestyle and pressures of getting it right every time in pro sport has a huge effect on people.
In saying that, the ones who suffer badly are the ones who have pre existing problems that are compounded by the new pressures of being as superior as you can in the game.
You cant tell these players to htfu and walk away because league is all they know and what they have trained their asses off during their whole lives.
I am sure they will feel alot better sitting at home with nothing to occupy their minds :whacky:

-Kurry-

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The issues would always be deeper than a few cameras and groupies following them around.
I highly doubt the footy aspect of it would ever be the sole reason for their woes.
Their are certain dik head parents who I have seen give their children complexes when it comes to performance on the field though.
Those parents are a disgrace tbh, livivng their own dreams through their children and making the kids pay dearly for it too with extreme abuse.
I remeber in one of my junior sides one of the parents came on and belted the fuk out oof his kid after we lost in extra time.
Unfortunately the abuse and pressures from parents is fairly common
Watch out! You might have parents with depressed kids come out and tell you you don't understand and its not the parents fault *rolls eyes*

Because im SURE people will misinterpret and think you talk for every case.

p.s- totally agree. As i said in my previous post expectation is one of the most volatile emotion to deal with in this life.

M

Mr Miyagi

Watch out! You might have parents with depressed kids come out and tell you you don't understand and its not the parents fault *rolls eyes*

Because im SURE people will misinterpret and think you talk for every case.

p.s- totally agree. As i said in my previous post expectation is one of the most volatile emotion to deal with in this life.[/QUOTE]

I know aye lol, just like talking about dikhead lebs or extremist religious freaks means I hate every normal lebo and muslim :whacky:

Expectation is very tough to deal with, when you have people who expect you to be flawlesss just because you are talented you get vilified just because you were not feeling to great on the day and did not perform to your usual freakish abilities.

Very sad indeed and it is a reason why some wonderful talent never gets to be seen.
They just simply have enough and lose interest in the sport they used love to play because they enjoyed it

Status
Not open for further replies.