Recent content by Shanghai Dog

1. S

2018 Team Photo

Hi folks hope this pic loaded. Cleaning out my late mother's stuff yesterday and found this 1978 team photo. Interesting group of players given current Board election and Hughes family history. Of other note, Ted Glossop's jumper... and Bill Noonan's face. Creepy. Two years later most of this...
  2. S

Bulldogs Player Movements, Re-Signings, and Rumour Mill: 2012 Edition

We have a bad track record on buying readymade 'old' half back solutions. Older members will remember when we made the GF in 1998 in Folkes' first year as coach with a no name team. The halves were considered the real weakness (Corey Hughes was 5/8). So we bought an ageing rep half back in...
  3. S

Greenberg to take over from gallop?

No offence, but I don't think Steve Price has the experience and credentials to step straight into a CEO role. Paul Dunn is a rumour and he has a lot more experience in administration as well as training in finance. Of course, he is also well-connected at Belmore. I reckon he would "step...
  4. S

Bulldogs Player Movements, Re-Signings, and Rumour Mill: 2012 Edition

Hi guys, I don't want to be accused of being a Hickey hater. Far from it. He is a decent guy. But I think the comments about Hickey's weight and form are an expression of fan's frustration/disappointment that he did not develop into a top notch FG player. When Hickey started, he was...
  5. S

Who were the best Captains since say 1965 to now.

A great man Allan. I used to go up to Belmore as a kid at night to watch training. The team used to run up and down the back of the old hill. Taylforth would then practice his goalkicking and sometimes I would boot the ball back to him. He kicked to the southern end to avoid the rail tracks...
  6. S

Who were the best Captains since say 1965 to now.

All great skippers but please don't forget Kevin Ryan as captain and coach. When he came across from St George in 1967, we had been dead for 20 years. He was captain-coach when we beat St George in the Final to end their 11 year dynasty. We dit it - never forget that fact!!! Then we went down in...
  7. S

Who were our best ever fullbacks and what made them great?

Old guys, you mentioned that the match with Les Johns against Balmain. Was it a match of the round in mid-1969 at SCG? We beat Balmain that game - and they won the comp later. I remember 1969 because we started so strong but were cruelled by injuries. First yar I went to every home game walking...
  8. S

Who were our best ever fullbacks and what made them great?

Hi I don't post much anymore on Kennel but I go back a long way - to Les Johns. We have been blessed with great FBs IMO. I think you need to look beyond the club at their representative careers to comapre them across generations. Here are my Top 3 FBs (with apologies to Potter, Silva and...
  9. S

Ben Hannant back with the Brisbane Broncos on $1.4m, four-year deal

Agreed la(x5). What you say is heartfelt and true. The club was seriously weakened in 2007-08 and has been seriously destabilized by the Hannant fiasco. We get more column inches on potential recruitment than the damn Roosters these days. It’s ridiculous. But chin up, pal. Idris and Barba...
  10. S

Future Halves Pairing

Yep it sucks. Personally, I think we should ditch the salary cap system and let the strong survive and the weak fail. The current system encourages corruption and mediocrity and fails to reward hard work and smart recruitment. On St Merge juniors, I don't know how many of them are genuine...
  11. S

Future Halves Pairing

This argument about developing our own juniors is like a throwback to the era when players had little stars next to their names in the Big League program if they were local products. Or before the 1960s when you had to live in a district to play for that team. The fact is that the Mortimers...
  12. S

Ben Hannant - Do you still respect him?

This whole situation is a result of Canterbury needing to recruit established first grade quality players at any price after 2008. We had NO CHOICE excdept to buy a lot of established players to rebuild the club ASAP. While the culture of the club is now excellent, these guys can’t ALL be...
  13. S

Hannant Rumour

Sorry guys. Patten is a legend - and could reach 200 games this year with some luck (177 now). But he is 30 now with a suspect back - so just too old to be appointed captain. Captain needs to be younger. Ennis is the logical choice. Or Hannant.
  14. S

Bulldog halfback Brett Kimmorley backs himself to play on for three more years

Sorry i meant giving an old guy a "2 year contract" in my last post.
  15. S

Bulldog halfback Brett Kimmorley backs himself to play on for three more years

This is tricky. Some guys have gone too early - Price for example. He had years left in him. I also think we should have kept Sherwin in 2008. His kicking game and general organisational skills in attack and defence would have kept us off the bottom of the ladder for sure IMO. But we let him go...