OFFICIAL | GAME DAY Round 6 | Post Game | Storm 16 - 14 Bulldogs

alwaysthesun

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has Hutch even set up his edge once? I know Sexton has his defence deficiencies but our attack is costing us wins.. but in saying that Taaffe is arguably a better defender who can play in the halves.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Absolutely. Lucky for them Josh didn't carry on because Papenhuyzen may have gone to the bin for his hip drop.
Wow...he has been charged for it and gets wait for it...a 1000 fine. Should have been binned for it. Two grubby shots, bet your sweet life if the roles had been reversed and it was one of our boys whoever did it would have been hung drawn and quartered.. Can we please have some consistency?

alwaysthesun

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow...he has been charged for it and gets wait for it...a 1000 fine. Should have been binned for it. Two grubby shots, bet your sweet life if the roles had been reversed and it was one of our boys whoever did it would have been hung drawn and quartered.. Can we please have some consistency?
Common theme hip drops against Dogs players unpunished.. Jack Wighton on Jacob Preston a couple of weeks ago.

Harry Oz

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Ha e you watched the replay of the Blore try? Kiti is right there and just watches his go over. It was mentioned he might have been called offside (might have even been said by you?) if so it’s understandable, but it looked like he just accepted that he was going in.
i posted earlier, others may have as well, that Kautoga could have been called offside as he probably was.
a more recent post says he did the same thing in cup recently
I've seen him miss tackles in cup but not as bad as that as far as i can recall.
i would like to give him the benefit of the doubt but it's not looking good
Perahps the important thing is Kautoga is a 110kg, 21 year old prop contracted until 2025.
Not many sides are having to wheel out 21 year old front rowers with a handful of first grade games under their belt, at the end of a tight game against a top 4 side.
We can be certain he is already being told to learn from the experience, to roll his sleeves up and work hard if he wants a contract from 2026.
He will also know there are a stack of young, keen front rowers also pushing for new contracts from next year.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
How critical was the first Melbourne try. I was of the opinion that there was an obstruction. Melbourne player stopped in the line Critta goes one way has to come back, Papenhauzen jinks, goes back through the gap left because our player could not get through due to plyer in he line. We had one pulled up like that in one of our previous games. The ref actually called no try as he thought the same but of course video ref does not support. guess who Grant Atkins...

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Xerri apparently defended shit in cup and wasn't ready... Perhaps the cup squad as a whole is the issue defensively and no individuals such as Sexton.
Come on mate we have defensive gurus on this site who know EVERTHING about the systems in place ....

Rember all the CC is an assistant and CC can't coach defense calls .... HAHAHA

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly!!
I've often wondered why all teams don't have a right foot kicker AND a left foot kicker.
Given that most kickers put a bit of 'hook/draw' on the ball, it HAS to "open" the posts up from one side and "narrow" them from the other side.
I haven't done the Math, but surely an Engineer or some clever math brain can work out exactly what that equation & probability is.
Like 'real temperature' and 'apparent temperature' based on wind chill factor.
Apparent width of goal posts due to parabolic pathway of a hooking ball. (or some shit like that).
I wonder if it would vary depending on how much draw/hook a kicker imparted on the ball??
This "draw co-efficient" could revolutionise the approach to goalkicking.

Course you could always kick straight!! But like Golf - that doesn't seem to happen very often.

C'mon Math brains ....Gimme an equation.. lol
A very good point, I've been thinking about it for a long time, (figuring something like that shouldn't require an enginnering brain). But I guess that some coaches aern't smart enough to see it, a right foot kicker may have won us the game or at least kicked 1 of those misses.

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We really should give this Taafe 7 option a try ...even if for no other reason for the chance that Hutch gets an injury and cant play.
Ciro doesn't seem to trust Sexton so Taafe next man up then Hayward probs.
Ciraldo said at the start of the year that Sexton will get a chance this year.
I was thinking when Ball finishes that all the halves might slide up a grade.
Week 1 of finals this weekend.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Don't be silly ! Look at the obstruction rule or any rule for that matter. Even basic stuff, look knocks and forward passes. Apparently after Thursdays bunker ruling, you're allowed to whack blokes around the head, as long as there has been a knock on first

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yep... but that ruins my argument so I'm just going to ignore that perfectly good point.
I have a feeling your point will be valid soon,when Sexton is in the team, he is a decent right foot kicker

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I was extremely disappointed we lost but after watching the replay today I haven’t felt this good about a performance in a while
Xerri is the strike player in our backline we have lacked for so long. The way he left Meaney for dead to set up JAC’s first try and then the quick hands for his second. He’s meant to be in first grade. Defensively he was pretty good too.
There were a couple of moments the Dogs failed to take advantage and this is the area of improvement for them as they work to become a winning team. Part of that is Burtons goal kicking. Anyway, still loved it. CC is a genius of defence. Cannot believe how good he’s got these blokes defending.
When the Morris twins ended up at the chooks late career they were told that when the chooks played us they just didn't bother with any plans to attack on the twins side, they were too good defensively. Our left side had a bit of that feel about it last night, Melb looked uncomfortable every time they went down there, the best chance they got was when Fox almost got the intercept, but when Hughes dropped it you could see we had it covered anyway, even Fox had turned and was in the frame. This was the first game this season Melb have won without scoring either key tries or multiple tries down their right side, so it isn't as though they don't have strike power there, especially with Hughes running things.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Last night made an old doggies fan very proud. It was as if the clock had been turned back and I was watching Dogs of old. There is a new found pride in the jersey by the boys, you can SEE it. Working as one, not dropping heads and just getting on with it. If we can add some polish in the finishing off of attacking sets and we get a halfback who has a bit more nous we can win more games than we lose.

Critta stayed in the centres last night and Connor Tracey had a brilliant game at fullback. I wonder if we will see Tracey stay there and have Taafe moved to the halves. Worth a shot I reckon.
Considering Melbourne had their prime spine there and basically their team settled our bits and pieces did well. Can't help but think if Mann was there last night we win. We missed his defence. Kikau was deadly and Josh Ado Carr was pumped. Josh Curran is officially my new crush. Hate the hair but love the playing style. Good on young Bailey Haywood. Did not shirk the defensive effort and with a bit more game time to settle in will be good value.

Addendum

Bronson Xerri equals beast. Great work from the young bloke and after a four year layoff too. Isn't it great to have selection headaches after years of just headaches>

Last edited: