Round 4 Press Conference

Dyldog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He has also got a fair attacking side just not gelling yet, this side is way better than they r playing and in my opinion capable, of the most improvement.
We’re doing ok, the teams we’ve played have been playing together for years.. we’ll be much better in a few more rounds. Best thing about this year has been defending our line and defending after errors, the boys are working for each other.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
We’re doing ok, the teams we’ve played have been playing together for years.. we’ll be much better in a few more rounds. Best thing about this year has been defending our line and defending after errors, the boys are working for each other.
But we have some tough teams coming up, with little chance of snagging a win. If we suffer more injuries or send offs, we will be in the same situation as last season. By the time we face teams that we have a chance of beating, we'll be without our best performers.

Happens every year. We always get the worst draw in the comp, having to start against the top four sides, and playing the top eight teams twice.
By the end of the year, we are battled hardened, start to get our troops back from injury, and surprise a few sides. But, by then we have lost ten in a row, and can't build on our late success.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Exactly right.
This is the year to build combinations and get some kids coming through closer to nrl standard
I said it b4 and I'll say it again.
We are a lot better than previous 4 or 5 years but still a bottom 4 team.
2025 will be where the real improvement will be seen.
2026 top 8 for sure, you can screen shot that.
2027 will be the year we are actually contenders again.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Exactly right.
This is the year to build combinations and get some kids coming through closer to nrl standard
I said it b4 and I'll say it again.
We are a lot better than previous 4 or 5 years but still a bottom 4 team.
2025 will be where the real improvement will be seen.
2026 top 8 for sure, you can screen shot that.
2027 will be the year we are actually contenders again.
Said it before. Gus/Ciro not too concerned about results. It's all about learning the systems and sticking to the processes. My concern is for the few elite players we do have. They won't be seeing much success and that's a worry.

Dyldog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
But we have some tough teams coming up, with little chance of snagging a win. If we suffer more injuries or send offs, we will be in the same situation as last season. By the time we face teams that we have a chance of beating, we'll be without our best performers.

Happens every year. We always get the worst draw in the comp, having to start against the top four sides, and playing the top eight teams twice.
By the end of the year, we are battled hardened, start to get our troops back from injury, and surprise a few sides. But, by then we have lost ten in a row, and can't build on our late success.
We can cover injuries a bit better this year and I’m hoping we can pull off a miracle against Easts like we did a few years ago. Game plan should be get Kiks one on one against their tiny half.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Said it before. Gus/Ciro not too concerned about results. It's all about learning the systems and sticking to the processes. My concern is for the few elite players we do have. They won't be seeing much success and that's a worry.
You can't have it both ways though.
You can put all your eggs in 1 basket like des did and try to win a premiership at all costs for a quick reward.
Or you can set yourself up for long term success.

One or the other.
I'm on board with long term success
That's the actual bulldog way to do it.

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yes heard they are having a meeting about some of the decisions that have happened over the weekend.
they can’t meet all they want, if nothing changes then they are trolling the fans because admitting fault and not correcting is pointless especially when it happens over and over again in future.

Say a team loses by 2 points because the refs stuff up then the losing team should be awarded a win, it’s messy but it’s what needs to happen and it can correct the blunders in the future.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
You can't have it both ways though.
You can put all your eggs in 1 basket like des did and try to win a premiership at all costs for a quick reward.
Or you can set yourself up for long term success.

One or the other.
I'm on board with long term success
That's the actual bulldog way to do it.
Why not both lol. We have to spend the same amount in salary cap.

Most Bulldog fans can see that there are improvements to be made that could strengthen the team by tweaking some positions and utilizing the bench minutes better for example.

There are a number of moves available to Ciro to improve our attack and make us more competitive, but he is unwilling to change except for injury/suspensions.

We'll see how it all evolves but the team looks like now they are ready to take on the other essential elements to winning games.

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes heard they are having a meeting about some of the decisions that have happened over the weekend.
It’s going to be a very long meeting - is it cheating or an unconscious bias? You can’t put it down to just incompetence when it nearly always favours the other team.

The answer is unconscious bias in my opinion.

If the crap we put up with gets under your skin then read up on unconscious bias and you will see how it applies to us.

TOTTO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s going to be a very long meeting - is it cheating or an unconscious bias? You can’t put it down to just incompetence when it nearly always favours the other team.

The answer is unconscious bias in my opinion.

If the crap we put up with gets under your skin then read up on unconscious bias and you will see how it applies to us.
Meeting is about all weekend games not only us, bias has nothing to do with it for me.

TOTTO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
they can’t meet all they want, if nothing changes then they are trolling the fans because admitting fault and not correcting is pointless especially when it happens over and over again in future.

Say a team loses by 2 points because the refs stuff up then the losing team should be awarded a win, it’s messy but it’s what needs to happen and it can correct the blunders in the future.
Really think it's to cover the NRL arse, as if they don't talk about it they look like they don't care so they set these meetings up so they look like they do.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Really think it's to cover the NRL arse, as if they don't talk about it they look like they don't care so they set these meetings up so they look like they do.
Less talk more accountability action! :grinning:

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score

All they would do is strip the winning team of their two points, and neither side gets the win. Hurts both sides.

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
All they would do is strip the winning team of their two points, and neither side gets the win. Hurts both sides.
True but the winning team wouldn't have won if it weren't for the bad call, for us it feels like we have lost more games off a bad call (eg warriors last year) then we have won off the back of one.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
True but the winning team wouldn't have won if it weren't for the bad call, for us it feels like we have lost more games off a bad call (eg warriors last year) then we have won off the back of one.
I agree. I just don't think that the NRL will go down the path of awarding wins. They have been very good at stripping teams of points.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I agree. I just don't think that the NRL will go down the path of awarding wins. They have been very good at stripping teams of points.
Would prefer they strip the ref of the whistle permanently if they display undue bias.

For those who go for the unconscious bias theory. They'd (refs and all concerned with match day officiating eg bunker linesman) be aware of this supposed bias towards the team higher on the ladder and should have taken steps to eliminate favouring one team. First step is to make black and white rules and eliminate the grey area the NRL insist on adding every year. If the refs don't have to apply judgement of the level of a supposed indiscretion they can't be biased. It's either a foul or its not.

A shepherd run used to be clear. Now there's interpretation over if a defender was impeded and it's frequently used now and selectively penalized. I've seen players penalized for taking the player off the ball while the ball carrier ran behind that tackled player. Got to head to work soon or I'd talk about other grey areas that create the shit fight we call refereeing. But eliminating grey areas would be a very good start towards fixing a lot of refereeing issues. While there is so much area (still increasing) for ref interpretation on formerly clear cut rules, I'll suspect high level corruption.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Would prefer they strip the ref of the whistle permanently if they display undue bias.

For those who go for the unconscious bias theory. They'd (refs and all concerned with match day officiating eg bunker linesman) be aware of this supposed bias towards the team higher on the ladder and should have taken steps to eliminate favouring one team. First step is to make black and white rules and eliminate the grey area the NRL insist on adding every year. If the refs don't have to apply judgement of the level of a supposed indiscretion they can't be biased. It's either a foul or its not.

A shepherd run used to be clear. Now there's interpretation over if a defender was impeded and it's frequently used now and selectively penalized. I've seen players penalized for taking the player off the ball while the ball carrier ran behind that tackled player. Got to head to work soon or I'd talk about other grey areas that create the shit fight we call refereeing. But eliminating grey areas would be a very good start towards fixing a lot of refereeing issues. While there is so much area (still increasing) for ref interpretation on formerly clear cut rules, I'll suspect high level corruption.
Our greatest bias is the draw. Every year we are pitted twice against the top eight teams. We start the year with at least three of the top four, and struggle to get a win. We suffer injuries and suspensions from round one onward. It happens every year.

Refs are not inclined to look kindly at a struggling side, when the media demands entertainment and lots of tries.