Images/Photos

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
View attachment 98885
Kings Cross, Sydney - 1930
The trolley bus ran on the same overhead power as trams - 600 volts DC. You will notice that there are two wires in the overhead. One of the wires is for the return current from the trolley bus. Trams return the current through their metal wheels to the tracks. Trolley buses have rubber tyres on the road, so have to run their return current through the second wire. That's why the bus has two poles, and the trams have one.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm struggling to think what topic you'd choose if you went on Mastermind... can't quite put my finger on it.... 8-)
Railways or paleontology are my two favourite subjects - and I use both for my part time job as a tour guide in far western Qld.

Used to host rail tours of the Swiss Alps, a favourite place of mine - my wife describes Switzerland as the world's biggest train set.
Gave me a chance to visit the Large Hadron Collider at CERN a few times.

After Covid ceased travelling for a few years, I lost the appetite for long distance flying. The novelty wears off when you do it too often.

For a while I was the go-to guy for ABC and commercial stations if they wanted a "train expert" to talk about a subject. Took the late Peter Harvey through the disused tunnels under St. James for a channel 9 special. Ray Hadley even did a 20 minute interview with me about trains on the North Coast, where he hails from. I got him to admit on air that he doesn't mind the Bulldogs.

I once did an interview with Wendy Harmer about the CERN complex. Luckily it was a soft interview, otherwise it would have challenged my limited knowledge a bit.

Also have a passing interest in cosmology, and WWI aircraft.

Listening to music is my favourite pastime, but I'm not familiar with popular modern music, unless it is jazz, blues, or fusion, like Fat Freddy's Drop.
I stream most of my music these days through a class A amplifier, or play vinyl on a classic belt drive turntable with moving coil cartridge - which most audiophiles would consider Nirvana.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Various sources, such as Heritage NSW, Trove, Mitchell Library and other online archives...
You do a pretty throrough job of research.

The ARHS NSW has over one million rail images that we will shortly have available, including ancient glass negatives from the NSWGR.
Talking with Trove to see what they can offer us, but it is slow going.

Bulldog Wrestler

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
You do a pretty throrough job of research.

The ARHS NSW has over one million rail images that we will shortly have available, including ancient glass negatives from the NSWGR.
Talking with Trove to see what they can offer us, but it is slow going.
City of Sydney also has a large archive of online material. Some of the other councils too.