News Canterbury head of football Phil Gould has been caught in another clandestine meeting, this time with a potential signing — New Zealand Warriors forwa

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
CC has made his bed without big name forwards and a heap of utilities.

He's had 2 off seasons to work out what sort of team he wants. If next year pays off, he'll save his contract and will survive into '25. But if not, Gus will have to pull the trigger on him or it will be his own head on the chopping block.

Ten year plans are only good if you do enough to stay the 10 years.
Every man and his dog have known there’s been no quality props on the market ..

Can you name a few that we should have in the team right now, and don’t be naming Tino & Co. that we’re never leaving ..

You can’t build the team you want when you have players in the team that you don’t want still under contract ..

Do you even know the game & how things work ?

berries1935

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Surely he is making a decision this week, don’t think it will drag on

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
No. We are in the dumps. We need to pay whatever it takes for a couple of diamonds who play key positions to build the club around and move forward. Developing youth is great but theres no guarantee that we produce any superstars in the next few yrs, and even if we do produce young blokes with superstar potential, they need to be coming into the FG team with real quality within it already to assist them and provide leadership. We still have none of that and it needs to be addressed urgently
Who are the diamonds, haas got his millions so did tino . What do we do there? What about a half? Who do we sign and who did we miss out on? You all talk but never name players . Stop reading the Tele or watching fox. It’s hard for you being the agenda driven bot.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I'm all for understanding the difficulties our club has gone thru for the past several years, and the impact it's had for both our recruiter in Gus and a coach in Ciraldo, but it's hard to reconcile our firm belief that if we get 2 good frontrowers we will be vying for Top 6? Yet if we don't them them, fans actually think this team will be bottom 4?

That doesn't gell with the fact we have a current Kangaroo, past Kangaroo, Internationals, SOO, and Premiership winners and runners-up player, and some proven accomplished players. Although granted we still do have a fair few plodder types...some of which Gus bought.

I guess Gus and Ciro get till 2025 but seriously guys think about if we fail again in 2024 with only 7 wins and that horrendous for/against. The club and fan base will be a miserable place if we put it that kind of performance again.

Hard to imagine those kinds of results will be tolerated again and neither should they with what we are spending.

We must improve in 2024, regardless of excuses, bc none are good enough to explain away poor performances. Don't kid ourselves that there isn't plenty of pressure on Gus and Ciro for 2024....especially if Dragons and Tigers improve.

We have enough decent players to greatly improve on 2023 if the coach gets them all playing their best and that's his job.

We'll all be very disappointed if we don't see substantial improvement on 2023.

GoTeamRaRaFunky

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
if a player is going to a club in a years time they should hold meetings confidentially [internet] and keep private till the following off season. it's distracting to focus.

how would you feel playing and being told to give all when your position is under threat the following year.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Who's to say AFB hasn't already signed with the Dragons and he is interviewing Gus for a position of GM?
Some people just can't help themselves!!! If we signed AFB for 2025 we will be contenders. Our backline is stacked with quality, and plenty of depth, and if Chrichton can cut it at fb, our spine looks pretty bloody good to me. If Mahoney can stop overplaying his hand, and Sexton step up to allow Burton to do the same then we have a very good team.
But hey, you do you, keep putting the club down, im sure it will help the club rise up.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
Name the half backs and front rowers that Gus and CC missed out on troll?
Everyone thinks off contract means avail. There current club had months advantage, and many qld based players don’t need to leave their state anymore with the 4 clubs competing. The clown posie want to pay overs to win now which is the same situation Dessie put us in but short memories and it’s Gus now.

Robdog111

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I'm all for understanding the difficulties our club has gone thru for the past several years, and the impact it's had for both our recruiter in Gus and a coach in Ciraldo, but it's hard to reconcile our firm belief that if we get 2 good frontrowers we will be vying for Top 6? Yet if we don't them them, fans actually think this team will be bottom 4?

That doesn't gell with the fact we have a current Kangaroo, past Kangaroo, Internationals, SOO, and Premiership winners and runners-up player, and some proven accomplished players. Although granted we still do have a fair few plodder types...some of which Gus bought.

I guess Gus and Ciro get till 2025 but seriously guys think about if we fail again in 2024 with only 7 wins and that horrendous for/against. The club and fan base will be a miserable place if we put it that kind of performance again.

Hard to imagine those kinds of results will be tolerated again and neither should they with what we are spending.

We must improve in 2024, regardless of excuses, bc none are good enough to explain away poor performances. Don't kid ourselves that there isn't plenty of pressure on Gus and Ciro for 2024....especially if Dragons and Tigers improve.

We have enough decent players to greatly improve on 2023 if the coach gets them all playing their best and that's his job.

We'll all be very disappointed if we don't see substantial improvement on 2023.
I agree but if we don't have the mongrel in the front row and we get dominated i will still be giving CC the benefit of the doubt.
I firmly believe we will get some serious mongrel for 2025. If there is no serious improvement 2025 I will certainly be asking questions.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Dragons have the real deal as a coach. Flanagan is taking a different approach to Gould. He's prepared to invest in the current roster. He only wants to make 3-4 changes per season. He won't be doing massive overhauls every year. Flanagan is in clear control there. Only one previous Saints coach was afforded that. They learned from mistakes. They ended up with the right coach. They destroyed the 2023-24 seasons to get to the right coach.

Marshall will be big success or massive failure as coach. I am seeing one good thing in all the Luai stuff at Tigers. Marshall is the only person involved. That club has had a habit of too many fingers in the pie too many people wanting the spotlight. If Marshall can sideline Farah from backstabbing another coach and silence the Balmain legends who love seeing their names in print he can do well.

We have a lot of challenges ahead for us as a club. Our signings except for Crichton are all 2 year prospects with massive gamble taken on Xerri. This brings us to another cycle of high turnover end of 2025. We already know several of the 2024 off contract batch we and they would already know they won't be retained long before trials start.

Question marks surrounds our coach. He will be given time. He doesn't deliver in 2025 he's out the door.

We need to start being more stable with our roster.
Bro
He's already said he wants Manu, AFB and Dearden. That suggests mass roster upeveal if he gets his way.
Look at it this way. Blake Lawrie won their player of the year
He would be a squad player in 14 of the teams in this comp

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
Bro
He's already said he wants Manu, AFB and Dearden. That suggests mass roster upeveal if he gets his way.
St George area basket case. The division on the board. Flanno wasn’t even wanted by some at the club and he got the job. He won’t have full control. Ever since he got the job he hasn’t stopped talking. I want him I want him . He is a win now at any cost coach, the sharks job is proof of that. When they struggle I wonder if dank makes an appearance lol

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Bro
Lawrie was decent last year to be fair

Magic Burton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bro
3-4 player turn over per year. I said 3-4. Not a dozen per year like us.