Opinion Update on Signings

dawso047

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Middles are a big concern..King an NRL quality prop but he is way below the best in the comp, Knight a NSW Cup player from Bunnies, Faamausilis a QLD Cup player, Hughes a NSW Cup player and Patolo would be lucky to string more than two games together at NSW Cup level or NRL level. They will probably get more from Edwards who has never had a top 30 deal.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Middles are a big concern..King an NRL quality prop but he is way below the best in the comp, Knight a NSW Cup player from Bunnies, Faamausilis a QLD Cup player, Hughes a NSW Cup player and Patolo would be lucky to string more than two games together at NSW Cup level or NRL level. They will probably get more from Edwards who has never had a top 30 deal.
This is why we're cooked next year and need to make big middle signings (from the very little left) for 2025.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If we go into next season with our current prop rotation, we will struggle massively no matter what we do in training. In fact, i would back us to finish last ... It's akin to building a house without foundations.

King and Knight will have NO opposition pack remotely worried and provide little impact ... Patolo and Hughes have come nowhere close to proving they are of consistent NRL quality. Also both struggle to play three games in a row before succumbing to injury. Patolo has had numerous HIA problems.

Faamausili (if true) is a signing which worries me as i have been expecting at least two new prop signings of WAY higher standard.

Four days from the resumption of training and our prop stocks are SHOCKING .... I am usually optimistic but WTF is going on?
It's definitely a concern. A large one at that.

You'd like to think we're getting the players that can be done now, and are still working on the harder to reach targets? And with that I'm OK as you can't just wait and pin your hopes one signing, but have to work on numerous at the same time.

This rests entirely on us actually getting those bigger names through though. Looking at it, I'd have to believe we will bring them in as it's plainly obvious to anyone and everyone that our current props are simply not good enough for us to compete.

We lost 2 highprofile props. As bad as they were for us, they were on massive money so there's money there to bring new players in.

Smells to me that we're just biding our time but ... it doesn't make it any easier for us supporters!

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is why we're cooked next year and need to make big middle signings (from the very little left) for 2025.
Greig was of contract for a long time, still young and a very big bopper, not totally proven but was well worth the risk IMHO.
Perhaps Gus has some one lined up, if not heaven help us, because instead of moving forward we will be going backwards to the spoon again.

Magic Burton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

You'd like to think we're getting the players that can be done now, and are still working on the harder to reach targets? And with that I'm OK as you can't just wait and pin your hopes one signing, but have to work on numerous at the same time.

This rests entirely on us actually getting those bigger names through though. Looking at it, I'd have to believe we will bring them in as it's plainly obvious to anyone and everyone that our current props are simply not good enough for us to compete.

We lost 2 highprofile props. As bad as they were for us, they were on massive money so there's money there to bring new players in.

Smells to me that we're just biding our time but ... it doesn't make it any easier for us supporters!
Lost Pele too didn't want to invest. Wanted to find another quick fix. This isn't a rebuild. It's band aid upon band aid.

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Agree ... a really good post Tassie.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Lost Pele too didn't want to invest. Wanted to find another quick fix. This isn't a rebuild. It's band aid upon band aid.
More bullshit, Pele gave up, mentally couldn't hack it. The NRL simply wasn't for him, the fact is he's a slacker, kept failing his KPI's, despite personal counselling, wouldn't stick to his nutrition plan, hardly hit a single physical benchmark, made excuse after excuse etc etc.

Always a Bulldog

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Middles have been our biggest concerns for the last two three years. A problem that hasn’t been addressed.

I assumed that there was a bigger plan going on in the background, with the lack of fixing this. But it appears they are hoping someone miraculously steps up from the lower grades.

Patolo showed promise when he first hit the scene. Then fell off a cliff. If he can rekindle some confidence and stay fit. Maybe can hold a bench position.

Hughes was building last year. I saw some good things from him. Hoping he can step up a few gears. He would benefit so much from an Alpha prop guiding the way.

Knight is a backup random game option. I don’t see him as a consistent week in week out option.

King if he can stay injury free is our only genuine NRL middle. He played broken last year. As well as being toeier than a Roman Sandel. If his body gets fixed over the offseason. Combined with getting married and having some pressure released in that department. He will be critical for us.

Faamausilis - don’t know enough about this one.

Booth is the other option coming through. But i don’t think he should be rushed in for the sake of poor squad management. In not recognising glaring shortcomings in the middle in recent seasons.

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Middles have been our biggest concerns for the last two three years. A problem that hasn’t been addressed.

I assumed that there was a bigger plan going on in the background, with the lack of fixing this. But it appears they are hoping someone miraculously steps up from the lower grades.

Patolo showed promise when he first hit the scene. Then fell off a cliff. If he can rekindle some confidence and stay fit. Maybe can hold a bench position.

Hughes was building last year. I saw some good things from him. Hoping he can step up a few gears. He would benefit so much from an Alpha prop guiding the way.

Knight is a backup random game option. I don’t see him as a consistent week in week out option.

King if he can stay injury free is our only genuine NRL middle. He played broken last year. As well as being toeier than a Roman Sandel. If his body gets fixed over the offseason. Combined with getting married and having some pressure released in that department. He will be critical for us.

Faamausilis - don’t know enough about this one.

Booth is the other option coming through. But i don’t think he should be rushed in for the sake of poor squad management. In not recognising glaring shortcomings in the middle in recent seasons.
Agree we need some middles and king could step up, lol a Roman Sandal…we need a fkn middles academy.

Dogs4EVA-1

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Yesterday on the Footy Talk Podcast Ready said that Terrell May was a genuine chance to go to the Dogs and also that Deardon's Management has a close relationship and gets on well with Gus...
Also cannot understand why Gus hasnt had a decent crack at Kini the FB from the Titans... hes a superstar and wont start the year in NRL up there..

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Yesterday on the Footy Talk Podcast Ready said that Terrell May was a genuine chance to go to the Dogs and also that Deardon's Management has a close relationship and gets on well with Gus...
Would love to snag may fromchooks. If we can get him and afb our props are sorted and those 2 could essentially take tpj and thompsons $ between them (1.5mil easily those 2 are up)

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
If we get Dearden I'll be fucking stoked, love the kids style of play. I can't see him leaving Cowboys though

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Greig was of contract for a long time, still young and a very big bopper, not totally proven but was well worth the risk IMHO.
Perhaps Gus has some one lined up, if not heaven help us, because instead of moving forward we will be going backwards to the spoon again.
Often I ask myself why did we miss out on Greig when blind Freddy can see our desperate need for big boppers, I know he is a rough diamond but a good one at that, the reality is for different reasons we missed out on several great props it leaves me wondering...What is Gus up to ?