Opinion Update on Signings

Noosa Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Royce Hunt and Flegler would of been a good combo but Flegler signed for dolphins for next year and Hunt resigned.
Guessing we had other plans and didn’t even approach them.

I’d love to know what intentions dogs had? Was Haas even an option, he had a deal already and can’t approach him. All media speculation.

They went after Taaffe and Salmon quickly. Just can’t seem to understand the recruitment strategy. We needed middles before TPJ retired
Rightly or wrongly, the dogs strategy is clear… work on our pathways and don’t overpay for players on their current market value.

The truth is, we will most likely not even know which players we have made enquirers about or made offers to. How do we know that a lot of the players mentioned where not offered deals or approached.

The issue with the approach in the short term is that it is a players (not recruiters) market at the moment, and unfortunately not paying overs for a team rebuilding leaves you struggling to recruit top shelf players. Even the quality next tier talent is being locked up by clubs as a result of the situation.

The question is… do we get impatient and overpay to get players now, or do we wait for opportunistic buys that could arise?

Last edited:

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
He'd want a long term deal and pretty decent $ to come here. Cows will want to extend him but won't give him 3+ years.
He is 32. He won’t get 3 years. However that might have to be what we offer him.
I think Gus isn’t afraid to spend so if he gets medically retired in 2 years Gus doesn’t care to spend the third year on him

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
News re Braid Burns,he's looking at possibly re-signing.there's an offer from St George on the table but surprisingly he can see what the Dogs are trying to do & expects to it to be a bit tough but wants to stay & knows he maybe playing 2nd fiddle..supposedly the plan is to play Taffe @ the back with Chrichton & Xerri centre..
As a backup not bad. Wouldn’t be in more than 200 large.
The problem is top 30 slots. Very limited.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
If it were me.
Thommo
TePOIs MaoriOa (however u spell it)
And a hard Englishman like Knowles and if u can’t get him, big cash at Nathan brown

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
He is 32. He won’t get 3 years. However that might have to be what we offer him.
I think Gus isn’t afraid to spend so if he gets medically retired in 2 years Gus doesn’t care to spend the third year on him
If we're to get him it's offering him something we shouldn't, that's just the situation we're in. He's also nowhere near good enough for what we want or need, but also little to no options.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
If we're to get him it's offering him something we shouldn't, that's just the situation we're in. He's also nowhere near good enough for what we want or need, but also little to no options.
If we offer him a three year gig with the implicit understanding year 3 is a write off medical retirement, it’ll cost us but all outside the cap and I’m ok with it

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
If we offer him a three year gig with the implicit understanding year 3 is a write off medical retirement, it’ll cost us but all outside the cap and I’m ok with it
So that's the same as a 2 year deal with Cowboy.

I see what you mean with paying him out but I doubt you could force him to medically retire and he actually has to have a career ending injury.

Last edited:

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it were me.
Thommo
TePOIs MaoriOa (however u spell it)
And a hard Englishman like Knowles and if u can’t get him, big cash at Nathan brown
Moeroa has averaged 40 metres in his 3 nrl games this year and only 100m in his 15 qcup games. I know his name is hard to spell but he's not the answer.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We should have got in the ear of NAS' manager. Surely we could have beaten the Storm offer by a fair amount
NAS is sitting back right now digesting Hass, Tino signing thinking “WTF have I done”…. Any international quality player should go to Nov 1 - they would earn themselves another 200K per season just waiting… the market is bone dry.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Rightly or wrongly, the dogs strategy is clear… work on our pathways and don’t overpay for players on their current market value.

The truth is, we will most likely not even know which players we have made enquirers about or made offers to. How do we know that a lot of the players mentioned where not offered deals or approached.

The issue with the approach in the short term is that it is a players (not recruiters) market at the moment, and unfortunately not paying overs for a team rebuilding leaves you struggling to recruit top shelf players. Even the quality next tier talent is being locked up by clubs as a result of the situation.

The question is… do we get impatient and overpay to get players now, or do we wait for opportunistic buys that could arise?
Gus will stick to a plan for long term success but he’ll get criticised for not opting for quick wins/fixes….

Mr T

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I want moe fotouaika.
i don’t care if we have to ‘encourage’ him to break a contract.
And yet there was so much uproar when Klemmer wanted to break his contract with us.

Mr T

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Losing someone under contract is different to gaining someone under contract?
I’m ok with winning. Not losing.
Happy to win also. But it's funny the suggestions on here like this, encouraging a player from another club to break a contract, unless it's one of our players in which case breaking their contract with us is unacceptable lol.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I want moe fotouaika.
i don’t care if we have to ‘encourage’ him to break a contract.
Does the salary mean anything to the NRL's pet The Gold Coast ?
Fotuaika would be the perfect solution for our go forward, but off contract Greig can be the cheaper option !

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fotuaika would be the perfect solution for our go forward, but off contract Greig can be the cheaper option !
I think we forget how Hasler operates ..

He’s just come from a team where he managed to have

DCE on $1.2
TTurbo. $1.2
JTurbo. $900k
Schuster $800k
Olakau'atu $650k

And still managed to field a reasonable team around them.

Do we really think he’s going to lose Moe because Tino & Fifita just got upgrades?

Live in hope I suppose …

Dogs4eva13

Previously James Cochrane
Reaction score
Will be interesting to see how h goes off the bench this weekend. This season he looked like he really got himself in shape, however has dropped off a bit lately. Also don't think we need to worry about cheap anymore, just good. Think we need to spend 800K plus to get Moe, but we should have at least that.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think we forget how Hasler operates ..

He’s just come from a team where he managed to have

DCE on $1.2
TTurbo. $1.2
JTurbo. $900k
Schuster $800k
Olakau'atu $650k

And still managed to field a reasonable team around them.

Do we really think he’s going to lose Moe because Tino & Fifita just got upgrades?

Live in hope I suppose …
Sadly it's The National Rorting League where only the chosen clubs get away with it !