Official Reynolds Announces Retirement

enoughsaid

Kennel Tips Winner '04
Reaction score
Bloke gave up his top 30 spot for Sexton and decided to retire at a place he clearly loves. It isn't strange or unprecedented. He wants one final goodbye. He isn't in the first grade team and hasn't made a fuss.

I think we should go easy on him. He is a great clubman. He loves the Bulldogs and will be good to have around the younger players to help build the passion for the club.

Please
He massively under achieved at this club
He played Behind the world's biggest forward pack .

I for one am elated to finally finally finally see the back of him ..

Dapper Dog

Deitz-ciple
Reaction score
I had hoped that he would play like a mature, game-manging half, ala Benji Marshall, to take pressure off Burto, but that was quite optimistic. Instead he wanted to play like a firecracker with maximum enthusiasm, to somewhat mixed results. Nevertheless, we found a solution to our halves crisis through his Top 30 replacement in Sexton, and so in a way his signing eventually led to a net improvement in our halves.

Kudos to Josh Reynolds for all he's given to this club, and I'm happy for him to go out at his principality. I assume because he'll be retired, we'll be able to hear from him in interviews after the game, so he will have all the mics and attention to himself lol.

Geoff Chambers

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Please

Couldn't agree more. He's a clever chap though and all this BS since he came back to Australia has ensured a nice fat income for him for years to come.

Probably doing sweet fuck all just talking about pride and passion blah blah

Best wishes JR

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please

The blokes done more for this club than you could ever dream of. BUT "little bitches" like you cant help but take the low road and slip a boot in.

Cant be that shit to make 2 GFs and be the only 5/8 to win a SOO for NSW in 11 years.

You are a fuckwit. End of story.

All the best JR. Some on here will stick up for you and appreciate everything you have done for the club.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
In a game that was always heading towards large athletic players from 1-17, he's always been like a Chihuahua that didn't know it should be finding a warm lap to sit on rather than getting amongst the big dogs and being a nuisance. One thing nobody can take away from Reynolds is that he never did know how to accept that he or the team were beaten. During his best days at the club that was a huge asset for us.

We had a monster pack that would often decide the game was over until the chihuahua among them took it upon himself to say "fuck off we're not out of it yet" by throwing himself headlong into the game. It wasn't always skill that he'd use to create something to spark the team, but determination. And I for one am grateful that his best days as a player were in our jersey.

As in the game he didn't know when to give up. At 34 his physical ability to match it with NRL players had probably slipped by, but like always, determination won him the top 30 spot. I wish he'd managed to go out on better terms rather than fading out in reserves. But if you are reading this Josh, thanks for being a Bulldog. Thanks for all the times your determination kept us in matches the rest of the team thought we'd lost. And good luck with whatever the next chapter of your story brings.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's a shame we can't bottle his spirit, he embodies what it means to be a Bulldog. He may have left the club for a while, but the Bulldogs are in his heart . . . Best of luck in retirement Grub, hopefully you remain a part of the club

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
“Passionate Bulldog” captures it nicely. It was always a really nice story he was given a top 30 spot but never a good business decision to tie up such a valuable spot with a player who tried so hard, but the game had moved on past him now.
Can't blame Joshy for tying up the spot :grinning:

Gotta be a hard arse to not feel that emotion and love JR has for the CB Bulldogs.

Last edited:

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Please

This may be true to an extent, but the bloke tried his absolute guts out in the 2014 GF. We were never winning the game, but he kept the scoreline close with his effort and kicking game for 55-60mins. He was injured to I believe. Despite his limitations he does deserve some respect.

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Can't blame Joshy for tying up the spot :grinning:
Can anyone name one player that was blocked from the Top 30, or from 1st Grade, because of Reynolds' signing?
He played a role this season (& the pre-season), not a huge role, but nonetheless played his role with the enthusiasm we've come to expect of him.
Thanks Grub. Fitting end to a fine career.
Hopefully, we'll see him in some kind of supporting role at the club from here on out.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Can anyone name one player that was blocked from the Top 30, or from 1st Grade, because of Reynolds' signing?
He played a role this season (& the pre-season), not a huge role, but nonetheless played his role with the enthusiasm we've come to expect of him.
Thanks Grub. Fitting end to a fine career.
Hopefully, we'll see him in some kind of supporting role at the club from here on out.
Def be having some kind of role at the club.

Love him or illogically hate him, JR one of ours.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Call me a sentimental old fool but gee how anyone can ever doubt that Josh is a Bulldog through and through and this decision he has made will have been the most difficult thing he has done up until now. It takes a big man to acknowledge his time has come and that what he can offer is now no longer the best that he has given in the past. A realisation that the younger brigade should now be entrusted with the future of the club. He has said all along that he did not expect any favours, that he was under the illusion that a permanent first grade spot would be his. He knew he had to earn it and for a while he showed to a degree that spark of several years ago, the drive and ability to offer something to the team.

I for one appreciate the passion that this bloke exudes for the club and the fact that he openly admits the worst thing he ever did was to leave the club. In the opinion of some, an ordinary player, but you can't deny his extraordinary love of the club and those he calls his mates. Mistakes.... yes he made some but then think of the great moments in the game where he dug deep and did something that had the crowd on its feet praising him for a well executed clutch play. If some thought they were fooled into believing he was important to the team and to the club think back to that day at Belmore where he was hoisted high upon the shoulders of his team mates and the crowd as the name Reynolds echoed around the ground...there were an awful lot of "fools" there that day if that is the case.
I will be at Belmore this weekend to farewell this bloke who has shown

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog."

Mark Twain

Grubby I wish you nothing but happiness and good times in your retirement. The fact that your presence around the club will not be lost should be a constant reminder that what is important is the team and those in it and the club itself, not the game, a point you made so well.

Don't ever be embarrassed for the tears you shed today because there will be many more shed come Saturday at Belmore after the full time siren.