News Phil Gould delves into Bulldogs issues as pressure mounts on Cameron Ciraldo

DogDays

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
It isn't Des' fault Dib and Castle told him to recruit to a salary cap that didn't exist yet. People like to make jokes of Des' back ended contracts but it wouldn't of been an issue if the salary cap eventuated to what he was told to recruit to. Dib and Castle signed off on contracts to meet the "new" salary cap (ended up being much less). I'd put more blame on the Anderson's for their contribution after the fact than Des.
I’m losing respect for Gus by the day.

Him coming out and trying to shore up himself by blaming those before him speaks volumes for the man.

Des is about to move on to his second club after the dogs, with two years away from the game within that time.

The path of least resistance is to blame who came before.

Gould has taken us backwards.

He might take us forward eventually - but there are plenty of other people who could also. And I’d argue that they wouldn’t demand a 1mill/Yr to do so and 5-6 more years to make us competitive.

Myth is an understatement.

TOTTO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Understand what your saying but disagree, we were calling for the club to stand up for players for years, and for years they have done nothing of the kind... happy to throw jammer under the bus on good Friday etc.

Ever since castle no one has stuck uo for the club or the players ... I would applaud that if such a thing happened today.. but what you're talking about is different, thus is a club that is showing no public care whatsoever for poor performances .. from players smiling and mucking around after numerous embarrassing floggings, to captains being cats and coaches repeated war cry of "we are trying our best" when every man and his dog can see that is far from true.

The sticking up for players that we are seeing now from our club is girly kindergarten stuff that you see in an entitled generation - its the stuff fairies and princesses are made of... the sticking up for the club that we need is leadership calling a spade a spade and making the hard calls and having the tough conversations for the betterment of the club and the individual players.
So you really think they do it on purpose playing the way they did? Maybe we have to many young blokes who are burnt out and covering for players that are injured, i remember a lot of coaches saying that its a very long season for many young blokes and that's why they rest them a lot, we don't really have that luxury at the moment but hopefully soon.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
That's the whole point if we were a well run club Gus wouldn't be here in the first place.

I've cooled down from Sunday's loss.

I genuinely hope Ciraldo can see his time out and he goes on to make us a competitive team.
I think that we need to show the team that we are over it, and appreciate the burden that they are carrying at present.

Not expecting us to win any more games, but we can at least cheer them on to show that we understand what they're going through.

Must be tough out there against the top sides, and our inexperienced players are simply exhausted from a really hard year.

Little possession, and constantly on the wrong end of 50/50 decisions take their toll.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I prefer an honest:"We are going to be badly beaten for another two years, but here is the long term plan", than always being told "next year is the year we come back".

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bennett can piece together a team in 12 months and make it competitive.

Gus been here for 2 years which is enough time for someone of his credentials to show signs of at least improvment.

The decision to overlook Flanagan Snr or Potter to put in an assistant coach with no experience is a monumental Fuck up.

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Want olapau our saviour ?
Now he is a 13 wtf
Doggies throwing darts hoping something sticks.
Dipshit TPJ needs to lift and so do the other forwards .
Ours backline is better defensively this week,let’s see the result

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Deep down i agree with Gus regarding a long term approach but we are now 8 years in. I still can't stomach us playing perham and okenbor every week. These blokes are not 1st graders and not even injury backup. Gould still spins too much hot air in telling us he doesn't want knee jerk quick fixes and then signs Toby for 18 months. He also tells us the side was tired and worn down but we were fresh off a bye so don't make flimsy excuses just tell us its not acceptable rather than feed us bullshit. I don't want any more shellacking's. I want effort not standing behind the tryline thinking about the end of season Bali trip

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I’m losing respect for Gus by the day.

Him coming out and trying to shore up himself by blaming those before him speaks volumes for the man.

Des is about to move on to his second club after the dogs, with two years away from the game within that time.

The path of least resistance is to blame who came before.

Gould has taken us backwards.

He might take us forward eventually - but there are plenty of other people who could also. And I’d argue that they wouldn’t demand a 1mill/Yr to do so and 5-6 more years to make us competitive.

Myth is an understatement.
I’m not sure how Gus will sleep at night with you losing respect for him by the day. Anyone blaming Gus for where we are is fkn nuts. We were fcked well before he came back. Not one thing he said is untrue.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Did everyone watch his conference. He didn't blame anyone, article is taken out of context completely. Staff writer just making assumptions... we sucked 6 years ago, so is Gus not allowed to say this process needed to be done earlier. Pretty basic stuff without sensationalism.

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Crichton is on overs, for sure. He’s a centre and we’re giving him fullback money. Other dumbass clubs like the dragons might pay 700k for him, but no smart club would.

Mahoney is just a complete waste of cap space.

Awful signings, adding to what is already a long list of them, as you point out.
All R. MAHONEY is guilty of is his passion for the club makes him try too hard. He gets frustrated and makes mistakes. Aren't we all guilty of that?

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unless we're still paying players on deals signed under the watch of Des and Castle (which isn't the case) Gus' claim doesn't make sense.

How long til Gus claims Sexton and Burton aren't performing because they need more time to gel. Maybe he bought Sexton just for another excuse.

Only a few months ago Gus tweeted that he wanted to look at our current players more before shopping outside the club then about a week ago he complained that he wants to recruit but there's not much left so it's inflated the price of those who are.

So first he makes the decision not to recruit outside the club then complains when he decides to get off his bum and they're asking too much for the cattle that's left.

He can't have it both ways. He's to blame for leaving it too late to go shopping but he'd never admit that. Probably wouldn't even realise it because in his mind he's never wrong about anything.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He is right isn't he?

Des and the dumb ***** in the board did fuck us and set us back years
Most of us knew it then, and it remains true now. It hurts like hell to lose, especially badly as we have in the last three games, but what hurts in the heart doesn't change what the head knows to be true, in this business you can't chase short term success and not pay for it long term. And of all the clubs in the NRL, ours is probably in the group of 6 or 7 that can LEAST afford the strategy.

The process is pretty simple, Gus hasn't hidden it. Build up the juniors, get the grassroots happening. The more good youngsters that are wearing blue and white, the more good staff will come along to be part of it.

We've got our timing wrong on so many things, but humans are terrible prophets, so there is no point kicking stones. We've been looking for some good NRL talent to add to the team at a reasonable price in the last few seasons right when a new team with 30 rosters spots was being added to the comp. Add to that Covid, cut backs on expenditure, and all kinds of other stuff and it is hard to point out a worse time in the last 30 years of Rugby League to be going through a crisis like this.

But, put the right processes in place, stick with them, and we will get there.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Unless we're still paying players on deals signed under the watch of Des and Castle (which isn't the case) Gus' claim doesn't make sense.

How long til Gus claims Sexton and Burton aren't performing because they need more time to gel. Maybe he bought Sexton just for another excuse.

Only a few months ago Gus tweeted that he wanted to look at our current players more before shopping outside the club then about a week ago he complained that he wants to recruit but there's not much left so it's inflated the price of those who are.

So first he makes the decision not to recruit outside the club then complains when he decides to get off his bum and they're asking too much for the cattle that's left.

He can't have it both ways. He's to blame for leaving it too late to go shopping but he'd never admit that. Probably wouldn't even realise it because in his mind he's never wrong about anything.
Pretty sure he is blaming them for fucking up our juniors.