Has Ciraldo backed himself into a corner?

Burgler

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
With this week being a bye and no footy for us the next weeks team selection has got me thinking that potentially Ciraldo is at a crossroads with our squad and the ramifications of either approach he takes.
At the start of the season we were fed was the bond, culture, vibe or whatever you want to call it was at an all time high. It created some expectation around the season and that the recruits were going to make a difference around the club/results.
Now before I get negative, I will acknowledge that Thompson and Kikau’s injuries have had an affect on the side. We did go through a patch with many players unavailable which obviously affects results.
Now we all watched the kennel docuseries which included filming moments of debuting players getting their jerseys. It felt like we put those players on a pedestal and that they were going to be in the 17 moving forward. Perham while he hasn’t been really bad, he hasn’t been great and I feel he offers nothing more than Averillo at 1 (who we’ve obviously lost in the last week) Sutton (who is playing reserves) Kikau (despite being injured now, looked a shell of himself) to name a few.
CC named RFM club captain and I just think that’s a terrible move because he’s not a lock to be picked in the team and is injury prone. Yes he’s been at the club a long time and we lost Jackson but if we let RFM go or tried to move him due to how his season has played out, it just makes us look amateur to rush in and make that decision and makes the club look unstable.
CC picked Mahoney and Burton as on field captains and it’s clear that neither can handle it. Mahoney needs to concentrate on his game at the moment because that in itself hasn’t been good. Burton seems like a churchmouse on the field, rarely you see him yelling or organising players, despite being the 7. Last thing either player needs is the responsibility of the team if they can’t get their own job right.
Ciraldo seems to talk the talk but the reality is he’s out of his depth on how to handle this team. He’s tried the personal approach and the players have let him down/taken advantage of it. He’s tried the warnings without doing what he said he would. And the reality is the only thing he has really acted on is dropping Flanagan, who is off contract and won’t be at the club next year anyway. Now he’s pretty much at the point where he either keeps the Mr Cool/nice guy approach and end up like Barrett in another 12/18months as an assistant again or he can wield the axe and start making the players take these results seriously.
All the crap we were fed at the start of the year needs to go, it’s made the players and the staff look like it was all for show and not reality.
Its a fine line he must walk and I understand that some decisions can get the squad offside and create a rift between coach and dressing room but if Ciraldo is going to be taken serious he needs to make some serious changes and either the players take it on board or we let them go. We shouldn’t want them at the club anyway.

He needs to go out and find an experienced leader from somewhere because that’s exactly what we need at the moment. Look at Reynolds affect at Brisbane. We need to drop all this club captain on field captain mess and just pick one guy who is the leader of the club. We need some experience and bigger bodies in the middle and stop making excuses for average football.
It honestly feels like nothing has changed much since Hasler left. The squad has been flipped multiple times, coaches have come and gone but here we are still lingering at the bottom.

I know the market is scarce at the moment to bring in any recruits but I’d rather the social media team/coaches/players just start calling it for what it is. Feels like the club has no standards and mediocre is ok. Anyone else had enough?

Last edited:

dawso047

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Mahoney is captain, I have no issue. Mahoney is constantly in amongst a beaten pack in attack and defence. Burton was not ready for captaincy, as for the 7 role, many halves would struggle at this club. Two senior middle forwards who are enforcers are whats needed first and foremost, then think about 7. Pehram is not a quality NRL 1, but I don't see Averillo, Burns, Kiraz or Wilson as that either and Papali'i is not ready for NRL. Mariner could have been moved on and is injury prone like Thompson, but no one saw Preston coming when he was resigned. Kikau is not there to lead the sides attack or to act as a senior middle. Kik aau takes advantage of the quality that is around him, when there is quality around him.

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think the team has went backwards, not happy at all.
Look at Penrith with all there stars out, still beating Newcastle who have everyone and are having a real crack.
I wanted Shane Flanagan minus his son.
Unfortunately I think it will be a long time until we have a competitive team. That's providing players want to even come here.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Sigh. You can tell it’s a bye round :-).

Sure things are far from perfect but the club knew that and told us so at the start of the year. I get as fans everyone wants better - and I’m one of them. After all we come from a culture of success - we’ve always competed even when we’ve lost. But the suggestion to wield even more axes - how’s that going to turn out? We’ve been through 5 coaches, 3 Chairs and 3 CEO’s in 5 years. If we do it again we’ll be an even bigger laughing stock than our on field results are right now. You’d never attract any decent talent from the sheds to the front office because they’d always be watching over their shoulder for when the guillotine will drop. Our junior systems are the best they’ve been in at least a decade and whilst we won’t keep them all many of them will play NRL once we get our roster back in a little more balance. During those 5 years we’ve had several expensive and disappointing player appointments. Some of those have already gone and others will leave at the end of this year. I actually think the lack of available players to recruit right now will, in the long run serve us well - we’ll have both avoided several more expensive blow-ins and bred a new generation of Bulldogs. Patience is hard. Losing is hard. But there’s little option but to allow the tide to turn. Eventually we’ll forget the lean years. #LeanIn

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I feel for the lad. We’ve had the worst luck with injuries all year. Thommo and tpj out. Then Kikau. By the time tpj came back king and sutton were busted and playing injured. We’ve had no go forward all year and being on the back foot and playing a toll on Mahoney and burto. I’m sure if we had a healthy pack from rd1 we’d have a few more wins.
Mahoney is probably the only leader we have atm deserves the captaincy.

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
We don’t have leaders on the field or off the field (Ciraldo is no leader, assistant at best)

capt obvious

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im more concerned about the lack of movement off the field. They have been sitting on their hands as far as im concerned.

Dogiezz

Kennel Established
Reaction score
With this week being a bye and no footy for us the next weeks team selection has got me thinking that potentially Ciraldo is at a crossroads with our squad and the ramifications of either approach he takes.
At the start of the season we were fed was the bond, culture, vibe or whatever you want to call it was at an all time high. It created some expectation around the season and that the recruits were going to make a difference around the club/results.
Now before I get negative, I will acknowledge that Thompson and Kikau’s injuries have had an affect on the side. We did go through a patch with many players unavailable which obviously affects results.
Now we all watched the kennel docuseries which included filming moments of debuting players getting their jerseys. It felt like we put those players on a pedestal and that they were going to be in the 17 moving forward. Perham while he hasn’t been really bad, he hasn’t been great and I feel he offers nothing more than Averillo at 1 (who we’ve obviously lost in the last week) Sutton (who is playing reserves) Kikau (despite being injured now, looked a shell of himself) to name a few.
CC named RFM club captain and I just think that’s a terrible move because he’s not a lock to be picked in the team and is injury prone. Yes he’s been at the club a long time and we lost Jackson but if we let RFM go or tried to move him due to how his season has played out, it just makes us look amateur to rush in and make that decision and makes the club look unstable.
CC picked Mahoney and Burton as on field captains and it’s clear that neither can handle it. Mahoney needs to concentrate on his game at the moment because that in itself hasn’t been good. Burton seems like a churchmouse on the field, rarely you see him yelling or organising players, despite being the 7. Last thing either player needs is the responsibility of the team if they can’t get their own job right.
Ciraldo seems to talk the talk but the reality is he’s out of his depth on how to handle this team. He’s tried the personal approach and the players have let him down/taken advantage of it. He’s tried the warnings without doing what he said he would. And the reality is the only thing he has really acted on is dropping Flanagan, who is off contract and won’t be at the club next year anyway. Now he’s pretty much at the point where he either keeps the Mr Cool/nice guy approach and end up like Barrett in another 12/18months as an assistant again or he can wield the axe and start making the players take these results seriously.
All the crap we were fed at the start of the year needs to go, it’s made the players and the staff look like it was all for show and not reality.
Its a fine line he must walk and I understand that some decisions can get the squad offside and create a rift between coach and dressing room but if Ciraldo is going to be taken serious he needs to make some serious changes and either the players take it on board or we let them go. We shouldn’t want them at the club anyway.

He needs to go out and find an experienced leader from somewhere because that’s exactly what we need at the moment. Look at Reynolds affect at Brisbane. We need to drop all this club captain on field captain mess and just pick one guy who is the leader of the club. We need some experience and bigger bodies in the middle and stop making excuses for average football.
It honestly feels like nothing has changed much since Hasler left. The squad has been flipped multiple times, coaches have come and gone but here we are still lingering at the bottom.

I know the market is scarce at the moment to bring in any recruits but I’d rather the social media team/coaches/players just start calling it for what it is. Feels like the club has no standards and mediocre is ok. Anyone else had enough?
Did somebody say KFC?

Flanagun

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Ciraldope ate all his childhood meals in a corner. Even his parents knew he was a turnip,

halfcast

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Not that he will but for the rest of the year averillo to FB
Blood skelton
KO play as a ol skool 13
Blood Hayward at 7
Pangai only play 15 min to start

Burgler

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Sigh. You can tell it’s a bye round :-).

Sure things are far from perfect but the club knew that and told us so at the start of the year. I get as fans everyone wants better - and I’m one of them. After all we come from a culture of success - we’ve always competed even when we’ve lost. But the suggestion to wield even more axes - how’s that going to turn out? We’ve been through 5 coaches, 3 Chairs and 3 CEO’s in 5 years. If we do it again we’ll be an even bigger laughing stock than our on field results are right now. You’d never attract any decent talent from the sheds to the front office because they’d always be watching over their shoulder for when the guillotine will drop. Our junior systems are the best they’ve been in at least a decade and whilst we won’t keep them all many of them will play NRL once we get our roster back in a little more balance. During those 5 years we’ve had several expensive and disappointing player appointments. Some of those have already gone and others will leave at the end of this year. I actually think the lack of available players to recruit right now will, in the long run serve us well - we’ll have both avoided several more expensive blow-ins and bred a new generation of Bulldogs. Patience is hard. Losing is hard. But there’s little option but to allow the tide to turn. Eventually we’ll forget the lean years. #LeanIn
I didn’t mean axe CC or staff etc, I meant players such as Perham for instance. He seems fixated on him at FB when we could try Wilson there who looks to have more urgency and speed. Perham may be a good trainer or whatever off the field that we don’t see but he’s a problem in FG and most on the kennel can see it, so why does he constantly get picked?
Averillo has committed elsewhere so give someone else a go who’s been going well in Cup, maybe Skelton. I’m just sick of hearing the same excuses every week but he picks the same side, where’s the accountability in that to the playing group. It’s been that way for too long over multiple coaching tenures