Opinion Said it once say it again

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
People like DJDeep want to bench him and play Reynolds and Rajab. People need to get a grip.. Criticise him for not owning key moments or certain decisions but at least acknowledge the good things he does.

Little things he does like the great decoy line he ran for Fox's try off the scrum get overlooked. As does finding touch on the short drop out. Or the two try assists..

Instead let's forget all of that and only focus on the negative.
With Mahoney off Edwards kept passing to KO for the kicks most of the game. It was like Flanno was back in the team with his NRLW kicking game all over again

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
With Mahoney off Edwards kept passing to KO for the kicks most of the game. It was like Flanno was back in the team with his NRLW kicking game all over again
Yeah Edwards was doing his best to fill in but his decision making and service wasn't great. I'm not having a go at him because he was playing out of position but it's amazing we were winning without Mahoney and no clear hooker option as a backup.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don't give a shit about their chemistry, can go fuck each other for all I care.
We scored a try because of their chemistry and they've combined for a bunch of others since last year. It's better than having no combinations that work.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
We scored a try because of their chemistry and they've combined for a bunch of others since last year. It's better than having no combinations that work.
Another kick, wow. Even Lewis could throw a cutout ball to his winger to score a try.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds good 67 but is Burton a 7. It takes away from his running abilities and he's in traffic far more in that position. He isn't "that" agile in close and is best using his step and bulk at 6 imo to create for himself and others. I also can't see Avo as a 6 with the amt of defence that would be coming his way. He is much improved but guys like JWH and JFH running at him could be a worry.

Anyway anything at all is worth a try at present, so go for it I guess.

With the quality, or lack thereof, we have at present it's hard to see major improvements in some of these guys so is it worth persevering with some of them?. It looks increasingly best practice to try changes.
To play 7 you need a big boot and strong running game .. Burton has both .. the passing game management and visual skills takes time and coaching .. something TK is not big on

Averillo missed 7 tackles today, so his defence isn’t great at centre anyway … personally I think he’d have more players around him playing 6 so therefore he’d probably be better defensively .. one things for sure he’d have his hands on the ball a lot more which would enable him to use his 2 biggest strengths … his running and attacking skills ..

Averillo played a couple of games at 5/8 before and did well till some bright spark moved him to 7, then centre, then reserve grade, then back to 7, then to FB .. now back to centre …. Funny enough no one’s ever put him back where where he was playing good footy, at 6, he’s a running 6 through and through .. blind Freddy can see that ..

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
To play 7 you need a big boot and strong running game .. Burton has both .. the passing game management and visual skills takes time and coaching .. something TK is not big on

Averillo missed 7 tackles today, so his defence isn’t great at centre anyway … personally I think he’d have more players around him playing 6 so therefore he’d probably be better defensively .. one things for sure he’d have his hands on the ball a lot more which would enable him to use his 2 biggest strengths … his running and attacking skills ..

Averillo played a couple of games at 5/8 before and did well till some bright spark moved him to 7, then centre, then reserve grade, then back to 7, then to FB .. now back to centre …. Funny enough no one’s ever put him back where where he was playing good footy, at 6, he’s a running 6 through and through .. blind Freddy can see that ..
Most of his runs are using his speed to run around players. I don't think he has the strength to run through defenders.

PeteHazz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
People like DJDeep want to bench him and play Reynolds and Rajab. People need to get a grip.. Criticise him for not owning key moments or certain decisions but at least acknowledge the good things he does.

Little things he does like the great decoy line he ran for Fox's try off the scrum get overlooked. As does finding touch on the short drop out. Or the two try assists..

Instead let's forget all of that and only focus on the negative.
Agreed. I think we're heavily split on TK between those that really rate him and those that really, really don't. I can't see a time when either side switches

I think we're stone cold, dead last without Burton this year and I'm the most one-eyed Bulldogs supporter I know. I love our team, but without Burton, I can't see us having won more than 1 or 2 games this season. Not his best yesterday, but no half should be making clutch plays every week because 2 markers, and A and B defenders didn't get a finger on tedesco. Burpees till every one of those 4 forwards spews at training is my remedy. How we could let in a try like that? Then we throw stones at Burton?

We have a long way to go as a club and a team. If I could vote, I want Burton in our team for a long time.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Agreed. I think we're heavily split on TK between those that really rate him and those that really, really don't. I can't see a time when either side switches

I think we're stone cold, dead last without Burton this year and I'm the most one-eyed Bulldogs supporter I know. I love our team, but without Burton, I can't see us having won more than 1 or 2 games this season. Not his best yesterday, but no half should be making clutch plays every week because 2 markers, and A and B defenders didn't get a finger on tedesco. Burpees till every one of those 4 forwards spews at training is my remedy. How we could let in a try like that? Then we throw stones at Burton?

We have a long way to go as a club and a team. If I could vote, I want Burton in our team for a long time.
Problem is there's no in between with some people. It's fine to be critical but to suggest he's not a half or should be dropped for Reynolds etc is absurd.

Then you defend him from such ridiculous comments and point out the good things he does and supposedly you're sucking him off..

I've been critical of Burton at times and acknowledge the things people complain about that he needs to improve. But I don't ignore the good things he does or all of the issues in the team around him either.

For whatever reason, Burton is the scapegoat and punching bag for a lot of people. Even when he wins us games, it buys him no leeway or support from certain people. Instead they sharpen the knife's for the next time he slips up or has a bad game.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Problem is there's no in between with some people. It's fine to be critical but to suggest he's not a half or should be dropped for Reynolds etc is absurd.

Then you defend him from such ridiculous comments and point out the good things he does and supposedly you're sucking him off..

I've been critical of Burton at times and acknowledge the things people complain about that he needs to improve. But I don't ignore the good things he does or all of the issues in the team around him either.

For whatever reason, Burton is the scapegoat and punching bag for a lot of people. Even when he wins us games, it buys him no leeway or support from certain people. Instead they sharpen the knife's for the next time he slips up or has a bad game.
You could be critical of every player that takes the field if you want. I thought Okonbor had a solid game yesterday but when I see his stats he took just 5 runs and made 2 errors. Yet no one has said Anything about it because Burton didn’t ice the game on one set at the end. TK is crazy after a loss

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
BURTON is not a half - great example was we were 30 meters out to equal the game and for him to kick a field goal instead he bombs it in the air hoping the players drop the ball like usual!!
needs to be a centre simple as that!
Burton / Averillo
Centre winger
JAC/Paul alamoti
centre winger

5/8-halfback
Karl and khaled rajab as the halves
Yes there young but also possibly our future answer and halves cause let’s face it we ain’t winning the comp this year it’s a very slim chance
Slim chance????

You're such a glass half-empty kind of person aren't you?

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
C'mon man. He must be doing something right if he's averaging nearly 2 try assists a game in the last month on a team that struggles to score points.
They struggle coz they don't turn good field position into points when they should be.

This is the problem. We get possession inside the 20m through penalties or mistakes from the opposition, but we have a relatively low conversion rate turning it into points.

Burton is good at the Hail Mary plays and might be good at 5/8th with a top shelf halfback in the team.

But we are kidding ourselves if we expect him to get any better without the right player at 7. Personally, I think we've seen his ceiling and I also feel he can do what he does at left centre allowing the more dangerous runner in Averillo to play 5/8th.

But that's only if we get a halfback that can guide the team and demand the ball

Matthew G

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
BURTON is not a half - great example was we were 30 meters out to equal the game and for him to kick a field goal instead he bombs it in the air hoping the players drop the ball like usual!!
needs to be a centre simple as that!
Burton / Averillo
Centre winger
JAC/Paul alamoti
centre winger

5/8-halfback
Karl and khaled rajab as the halves
Yes there young but also possibly our future answer and halves cause let’s face it we ain’t winning the comp this year it’s a very slim chance
Please stop making stupid threads like this, burton right now is our only form of attack, him and mahoney control our team, granted he has periods he isnt at his best but hes still a young half developing without an established partner either. Everytime we lose people love to blame him which shows how much pressure he is under, wasnt his best game today but managed 2 assists. Also has perham at fullback who is clueless in attack, get a grip.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rajab, BBO or back to flamingo at HB are our only options I see.

Hayward isn't impressing even in reserves.
I only saw glimpses of Rajab in the WC for Lebanon, but from what I saw, he isn't afraid to get into position to demand the ball in good field position - even with a dominating halfback like Mitch Moses.

And on that attitude alone, I rate him and would like to see more of him.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
They struggle coz they don't turn good field position into points when they should be.

This is the problem. We get possession inside the 20m through penalties or mistakes from the opposition, but we have a relatively low conversion rate turning it into points.

Burton is good at the Hail Mary plays and might be good at 5/8th with a top shelf halfback in the team.

But we are kidding ourselves if we expect him to get any better without the right player at 7. Personally, I think we've seen his ceiling and I also feel he can do what he does at left centre allowing the more dangerous runner in Averillo to play 5/8th.

But that's only if we get a halfback that can guide the team and demand the ball
Plus there's always this dead set feeling that we may well have an absolute game breaker in Burto as a centre, where he dominated at Panthers and was centre of the year but we'll never know bc the team is so unbalanced and lacking at this stage and Burto wants to be a half.

Gus must fix and get a spine 7 for Burto if he is staying as 5/8. He is not a 7 in a fully functioning premiership threatening team :grinning:

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shut the fuck up always whinging. He’s what 3rd for try assists from 5/8s
And from half backs only Moses johnson and Reynolds have more.
He’s ahead of dce Munster walker Hughes hynes and hunt for kick metres.
5th in the league for attacking kicks ahead of players mentioned above.
Hard to be a standout when your halves partner is a kid and the fullback is a stop gap solution at best. Forward pack is average. Playing with incompetent ***** like Waddell and sutton in the forwards.
The problem with looking at stats alone is that it doesn't paint enough picture.

The guys you mentioned (Munster, DCE, Adam Reynolds, Mitch Moses, Cleary etc) have other players in the team who are creating point opportunities and so their stats are diluted in the team effort.

You can take that both ways...
1) Burton is doing his job but has no other support from his spine
2) Burton should have double the output he is producing coz theres no one else to share the stats with

My issue with him is the "type" of opportunities he creates (or conversely) the type he DOESNT create.

His passing game is rubbish, his desire to demand the ball is non existent. His running game??? Only surfaces when he's playing centre.

Honestly, I mean this wholeheartedly.... Playing in the halves, stuffs up his running game. Psychologically he thinks he shouldn't run and therefore he second guesses whether he should or shouldn't. With abit more width, he is more dangerous.

I'm convinced he is a centre and he is a centre of yesteryear (80's or 90's) who has a strong kicking game and one who has a rare advantage over many other centres.

But we have to use him effectively.
He might be the best 5/8th in this team atm (I personally feel Avo is better) but we aren't going to move forward if we keep him there....