Opinion Said it once say it again

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Is it getting towards the time we accept the possibility Burton is not a 7 this year and its detrimental to the team and put him back at 6 and just have our 7 shuffle like Flanno and defend BUT also run a bit?

Can Nu play 7?
Can Rajab play 7?
Can Perhaps play 7?
Can we put Ryan Grey to 9 and Mahoney 7 (tho he looks out against Parra)?
Nu Brown 9 and Mahoney 7?

Kiraz or Wilson to FB is a must.

Lose to Parra and it's just preparing for 2024 after that.

Geoff Chambers

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Pleased to see all the comments about actually moving forwards in this area rather than the relentless pre season romantics about JR steadying the ship and taking the club victory after victory.

I'm confident the club is already hard at work on this issue, they're not stupid and I believe they'll have good news for us all very soon

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it getting towards the time we accept the possibility Burton is not a 7 this year and its detrimental to the team and put him back at 6 and just have our 7 shuffle like Flanno and defend BUT also run a bit?

Can Nu play 7?
Can Rajab play 7?
Can Perhaps play 7?
Can we put Ryan Grey to 9 and Mahoney 7 (tho he looks out against Parra)?
Nu Brown 9 and Mahoney 7?

Kiraz or Wilson to FB is a must.

Lose to Parra and it's just preparing for 2024 after that.
Last game against Titans everyone was praising Burton at 7 .. he stood up and practically won us the game ..

We know the opposition do their video home work … they know he and Mahoney are the pivotal points of our attack so obviously their game plan is to shut those 2 down as much as possible .. what we need is a 1, 6 and 13 that are also huge attacking threats … that’s 5 players setting up those around them plus attacking themselves from different areas all over the park, it spreads the defence and puts the opposition on a lot more alert than just 2 attacking threats ..

Burton can be a very good 7 for us, but it’s unfortunately not going to happen consistently after just 5 or 6 games ..

What’s more important is to find him a 1, 6 and 13 that are also attacking threats … because the ones we have right now offer zero in attack ..

If the rumours are true that we’ve signed Hame Sele, he looks a very good 13 ..

Hopefully Crichton is the gun attacking FB we’ve been looking for ..

Move Averillo to 6 … he’s now matured and could be lethal there.

Mahoney 9

Burton 7

And there’s our 5 attacking weapons .. that frees up Burton a bit to have more space to develop his game in the 7 position ..

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Thanks to TB. One of the positives that he did for the club.

We are lucky to have him and JAC Aussie reps at the club.
Lucky :sob:

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Last game against Titans everyone was praising Burton at 7 .. he stood up and practically won us the game ..

We know the opposition do their video home work … they know he and Mahoney are the pivotal points of our attack so obviously their game plan is to shut those 2 down as much as possible .. what we need is a 1, 6 and 13 that are also huge attacking threats … that’s 5 players setting up those around them plus attacking themselves from different areas all over the park, it spreads the defence and puts the opposition on a lot more alert than just 2 attacking threats ..

Burton can be a very good 7 for us, but it’s unfortunately not going to happen consistently after just 5 or 6 games ..

What’s more important is to find him a 1, 6 and 13 that are also attacking threats … because the ones we have right now offer zero in attack ..

If the rumours are true that we’ve signed Hame Sele, he looks a very good 13 ..

Hopefully Crichton is the gun attacking FB we’ve been looking for ..

Move Averillo to 6 … he’s now matured and could be lethal there.

Mahoney 9

Burton 7

And there’s our 5 attacking weapons .. that frees up Burton a bit to have more space to develop his game in the 7 position ..
Sounds good 67 but is Burton a 7. It takes away from his running abilities and he's in traffic far more in that position. He isn't "that" agile in close and is best using his step and bulk at 6 imo to create for himself and others. I also can't see Avo as a 6 with the amt of defence that would be coming his way. He is much improved but guys like JWH and JFH running at him could be a worry.

Anyway anything at all is worth a try at present, so go for it I guess.

With the quality, or lack thereof, we have at present it's hard to see major improvements in some of these guys so is it worth persevering with some of them?. It looks increasingly best practice to try changes.

Dogzzz of War

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I disagree.
he needs a game manager on the field and let him stay on the left. With Kiks outside him getting heaps of attention from defenders his running game will excel.

dhoo8450

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
His biggest issue is that he's way too passive. Hopefully he'll develop that aspect of his game along with his decision making.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
They're all lucky kicks, that's it.
Most of them weren't lucky. One of the ones today was. The kick was Fox was great timing and vision. They have great chemistry together.

No one is saying he can't improve or play better. He has a lot of things to work on. But why people blame him every game when he's literally the only source of our points is beyond me.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Burtons easily the best half we got
People like DJDeep want to bench him and play Reynolds and Rajab. People need to get a grip.. Criticise him for not owning key moments or certain decisions but at least acknowledge the good things he does.

Little things he does like the great decoy line he ran for Fox's try off the scrum get overlooked. As does finding touch on the short drop out. Or the two try assists..

Instead let's forget all of that and only focus on the negative.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Most of them weren't lucky. One of the ones today was. The kick was Fox was great timing and vision. They have great chemistry together.

No one is saying he can't improve or play better. He has a lot of things to work on. But why people blame him every game when he's literally the only source of our points is beyond me.
I don't give a shit about their chemistry, can go fuck each other for all I care.