The One on One Steal has become a Joke.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don’t like the one on one steal, personally I’d like to see it out of the game.

But if they insist on allowing it, what’s wrong with keeping it as it was originally allowed to be, a genuine one on one steal.

One player goes in to make a tackle, catches the opposition player of guard by instead changing tactics and quickly stealing the ball.

I remember when even if a second player had touched the player during a tackle before it was stolen they’d blow a penalty.

When did the steal evolve into this 3 or 4 in a tackle the others slowly roll off and then the last man stays trying to reef it from the tackled players grasp?

The Waddell send off on the weekend was an absolute disgrace to the game, any player holding another player down to long gets penalised, yet that player was allowed to hold Waddell down for ages trying to reef the ball from his grasp, that wasn’t a steal, Waddell clearly maintained possession until the ball was eventually reefed from his grasp, if anything the player holding him down that long trying to reef the ball of him should have been binned.

What relaxing the rules has created now is 3 or 4 tacklers with hands all over the ball, trying to steal it, trying to dislodge it, 80% of what they call loose carry’s these days come from 6 arms and hands all over the ball and being “accidentally’ entangled with the player.

Again it comes back to the referees not policing the rules properly and letting the players get away with things until the whole situation gets out of hand and becomes ridiculous.

View attachment 70291

Last edited:

Foxalldayeveryday

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree. Get rid of anything that is going to cause a grey area in the game where the ref's can fuck us on a call. A good example is what happened to waddelz over the weekend.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Steel - I have no problem with it as it is as long as its consistent. I think 95% of the time they get it right. Cory's 1 wasnt.

Sinbins - I still dont know why Cory was sinbinned. What was the offense? It wasn't repeated infringements with a warning. It wasnt for impeeding a tryscoring play.
I remember a year or 2 ago Jacko was sent for offside. Ref reckons he warned him several times. This was during general run of play, offside in the line during oppostion play of the ball not defending the try line. How can you send someone for being offside in this instance?
There should be a list of sinbin offenses. If there was a list then in Cory's case you could challenge it. Surely the list would be short and the captain would be clear on sinbinnable offenses.

Sinbinning is terrible for the game, we all know why. Shoulder charge, hectic spear tackles etc fair enough but this over policing is ridiculous.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Steel - I have no problem with it as it is as long as its consistent. I think 95% of the time they get it right. Cory's 1 wasnt.

Sinbins - I still dont know why Cory was sinbinned. What was the offense? It wasn't repeated infringements with a warning. It wasnt for impeeding a tryscoring play.
I remember a year or 2 ago Jacko was sent for offside. Ref reckons he warned him several times. This was during general run of play, offside in the line during oppostion play of the ball not defending the try line. How can you send someone for being offside in this instance?
There should be a list of sinbin offenses. If there was a list then in Cory's case you could challenge it. Surely the list would be short and the captain would be clear on sinbinnable offenses.

Sinbinning is terrible for the game, we all know why. Shoulder barges, hectic spear tackles etc fair enough but this over policing is ridiculous.
Join the club....only the referee knows why and we all know that for a Dogs player to be penalised and sent for 10 he does not need to be warned of any other offense.

Consistency and proper true application of the rules is not in the referees mind.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The point I’m trying to make here is most of what’s going on these days shouldn’t even be called stealing the ball .. It’s evolved into a 2 player wrestle, one trying to reef possession of the other, the other trying to maintain it, a steal was never meant to be 2 players wrestling over the ball.

A steal used to be pretty much instantaneous, a solo player would go in to make a tackle and rap the ball up and due to poor ball security they’d be able to quickly pinch the ball and run away with it, Munster is the only player I’ve seen do it right these days.

Any player holding another on the ground spending time trying to wrestling possession of them should warrant a penalty to attacking side straight away.

A steal should only be allowed when there’s only ever been one on one in the tackle, it should happen pretty much instantaneous and both players should be up of the ground.

JMO.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
The point I’m trying to make here is most of what’s going on these days shouldn’t even be called stealing the ball .. It’s evolved into a 2 player wrestle, one trying to reef possession of the other, the other trying to maintain it, a steal was never meant to be 2 players wrestling over the ball.

A steal used to be pretty much instantaneous, a solo player would go in to make a tackle and rap the ball up and due to poor ball security they’d be able to quickly pinch the ball and run away with it, Munster is the only player I’ve seen do it right these days.

Any player holding another on the ground spending time trying to wrestling possession of them should warrant a penalty to attacking side straight away.

A steal should only be allowed when there’s only ever been one on one in the tackle, it should happen pretty much instantaneous and both players should be up of the ground.

JMO.
Agree one on one no problem. We train for it, 2 or 3 in tackle, call it, then the other 2 drop off.
Stupid rule

hayes

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sinbinning is terrible for the game, we all know why. Shoulder charge, hectic spear tackles etc fair enough but this over policing is ridiculous.
The ref said it was a professional foul for delaying the game. Which was BS the st George player only had one hand on the ball Corey had both hands on the ball.

I think it was get square from the ref for Reynolds saying bullshit to him.

Lost Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Too many loop holes, get rid of it. We seem to get shafted most times on this rule.8-)

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree one on one no problem. We train for it, 2 or 3 in tackle, call it, then the other 2 drop off.
Stupid rule
You are spot on here .. they train for it because coaches have little by little pushed the envelope, and the referees have little by little relaxed the policing of it, coaches are always going to take full advantage of whatever they can get away with ..

It’s an easy fix, explain exactly what constitutes a proper one on one steal, anything outside of that will warrant a penalty, anyone pinning a player on the ground standing over them using a reefing motion trying to reef possession out of a players arms will go for 10.

That Saints player should have been sent for 10 the other day ..

1) For not allowing the player to get up and play the ball.
2) For illegally trying to strip the ball.

Problem fixed ..

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Agree. Get rid of anything that is going to cause a grey area in the game where the ref's can fuck us on a call. A good example is what happened to waddelz over the weekend.
If we did that all the rules would have to go.. it’s all grey as fuck, given the interpretation of the hip drop and the ruck infringements and the shit calls by the shit officiating. And they are never held accountable, just like in the dolphins loss. They came out an said they made a mistake and couldn’t change the outcome. Teams are getting ribbed left right an centre and we as supporters have to suck it up. Betting agencies dream.

Foxalldayeveryday

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we did that all the rules would have to go.. it’s all grey as fuck, given the interpretation of the hip drop and the ruck infringements and the shit calls by the shit officiating. And they are never held accountable, just like in the dolphins loss. They came out an said they made a mistake and couldn’t change the outcome. Teams are getting ribbed left right an centre and we as supporters have to suck it up. Betting agencies dream.
Why can't the ref's be fined ?
Maybe if the NRL starts hitting them it may make then rethink emotional and silly calls like the weekend.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The ref said it was a professional foul for delaying the game. Which was BS the st George player only had one hand on the ball Corey had both hands on the ball.

My gut tells me it was a get square as well.

How could Waddell be pinged for delaying the game when he was the one pinned on the ground trying to stop a player who was standing over him trying to reef possession from him, he wasn’t never allowed to get up !

Foxalldayeveryday

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Bingo.Too bad we won the game. Old mate must have been spewing at full-time.

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
bring back allowing the marker to rake the ball back

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I always thought that a player on the ground was tackled, and a steal was a penalty. Otherwise, we could reef the ball from a fullback who dives back into the field of play from his goal line in a voluntary tackle. I've seen that steal penalised every time. Why was Waddel's different?

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score

You could see by the expression on the ref's face that he made a mistake. He was penalising Jackson for inside the ten, and put up his hands for ten in the bin instead of an arm out for a penalty. He confused his call, but couldn't back down, so said something about prior warnings to cover his error.

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
I don’t like the one on one steal, personally I’d like to see it out of the game.

But if they insist on allowing it, what’s wrong with keeping it as it was originally allowed to be, a genuine one on one steal.

One player goes in to make a tackle, catches the opposition player of guard by instead changing tactics and quickly stealing the ball.

I remember when even if a second player had touched the player during a tackle before it was stolen they’d blow a penalty.

When did the steal evolve into this 3 or 4 in a tackle the others slowly roll off and then the last man stays trying to reef it from the tackled players grasp?

The Waddell send off on the weekend was an absolute disgrace to the game, any player holding another player down to long gets penalised, yet that player was allowed to hold Waddell down for ages trying to reef the ball from his grasp, that wasn’t a steal, Waddell clearly maintained possession until the ball was eventually reefed from his grasp, if anything the player holding him down that long trying to reef the ball of him should have been binned.

What relaxing the rules has created now is 3 or 4 tacklers with hands all over the ball, trying to steal it, trying to dislodge it, 80% of what they call loose carry’s these days come from 6 arms and hands all over the ball and being “accidentally’ entangled with the player.

Again it comes back to the referees not policing the rules properly and letting the players get away with things until the whole situation gets out of hand and becomes ridiculous.

View attachment 70291
I said as much in the round 5 gameday thread. Defence gets an advantage by the extra time while they attempting the strip. It's a farce.

I hate the fact that refs give players an extra x amount of time in a tackle just because they're trying to strip the ball.
Why does it make sense for the attacking team to be disadvantaged while a defender hangs on and argues that he has the ball. By the time two players drop off the tackle it should be about time for the tackle to be called held anyways. Shit fuckery I tells ya.
It should be an intial one on one strip or a penalty for shitfuckery. No dropping off the tackled player