News Bulldogs teenager Oloapu the real deal: Burton

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Matt Burton insists Karl Oloapu is worthy of the hype, declaring the 18-year-old rookie has what it takes to become his long-term NRL halves partner at Canterbury.

But the Bulldogs captain is keen to keep out-of-favour Kyle Flanagan away from rival clubs as the halfback prepares for another week of making way for Oloapu in reserve grade.

Rated one of the top young prospects in rugby league, Oloapu joined the Bulldogs in January after the club coughed up a $500,000 transfer fee to allow him to break his three-year Brisbane contract.

The Wellington-born playmaker arrived at the Bulldogs to fanfare and speculation, immediately becoming a member of the top-30 squad before making his debut off the bench against St George Illawarra on Sunday.

Replacing veteran Josh Reynolds in the halves, Oloapu did not look out of place at NRL level, finishing with a line break and 76 run metres as the injury-hit Bulldogs eked out their first win in a month.

"He was great for us on the weekend," Burton said.

"He's got a great attitude, he comes into training every day and works hard, really focuses on his craft and tries to help out the team as much as he can."

Playing against Oloapu in training sessions has convinced Burton the 18-year-old deserves his plaudits and has the ability to become his long-term co-pilot.

"When he was doing opposed against us the last couple of weeks, he's been towelling us up," Burton said.

"He stands up to the hype.

"He's a great young talent and hopefully we see him a bit more.

"He's got a long future. If he keeps working hard and doing the little things right, there's no doubt we'll see him in for a long time."

Oloapu's rise into first-grade calculations have left Flanagan the odd man out.

Flanagan is in the final season of his three-year Bulldogs contract but was dropped to reserve grade last week to make way for the double act of veteran Reynolds and Oloapu.

The 24-year-old has again missed out on selection for round 10 and has been linked with a possible move to Manly, where Josh Schuster has had an unconvincing start to life as a five-eighth and father Shane Flanagan is an assistant coach.

On social media on Wednesday, Bulldogs general manager of football Phil Gould strenuously denied such a move was in the works, with Burton hopeful Flanagan would remain at the club well into the future.

"There's obviously a lot of talk and speculation around it but we'd love to have Kyle here in the long-term," Burton said.

"We see him as a great teammate."

Flanagan recovered from a similar axing in 2022, returning to the first-grade side after starting the year in the reserves, and played hooker for Canterbury's NSW Cup side on the weekend.

Burton switched to centre in Penrith's run to the 2021 grand final so he knows first hand that utility value could strengthen Flanagan's case for an NRL recall.

"It's obviously good to have a few positions under your belt. I've obviously had the opportunity to do that with centre," he said.

"If he works on that, he can add that (string) to his bow. That'd be great."

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
What we need from Burto, young fella will feel confident knowing this. It’s algood !!

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
He said the same thing about the fellow.

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Straight from this weeks press conference with Burto.

Flanno they are trialling in the hooker role in NSW Cup, and I reckon it's for one of 2 possible reasons:
1. Prepping for if we lose Mahoney for Origin, or (god forbid) injury. ; or
2. To show off his potential as a #9 to other clubs who are struggling for #9 options.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm sure this is just the result of another journo filling their quota. No player in the team is going to say anything but good things about debutantes in our team, or guys they might have to play alongside in the coming weeks.

Time will tell us whether the hype round Oloapu is justified. He didn't look overwhelmed by his debut. But I don't think he set the world on fire either. He certainly didn't take a backwards step though. This isn't a criticism. I don't expect any player to earn dally m points on debut. I hope he builds into as much of a game breaker as his highlight reels show him to be. But it might not be this season where he approaches that point. His opponents are a match for his size and strength now, they defend better and I dare say he's going to cop some heavy hits that wouldn't be everyday occurances in flegg or reserve grade. He'll hopefully get a decent amount of time to get up to speed without copping heavy criticism if he has a bad game.

WillieMasonFan

Kennel Established
Reaction score
But it is soooo difficult to make a judgement on a player solely based upon their 1st grade debut. Look at Declan Casey. His 1st grade debut was an abortion (hope I am remembering this right, against the Sharks last year?) but he has risen above that to become a valuable member of the 1st grade squad. How poor would we have been if we had written him off after his first game .....

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Straight from this weeks press conference with Burto.

Flanno they are trialling in the hooker role in NSW Cup, and I reckon it's for one of 2 possible reasons:
1. Prepping for if we lose Mahoney for Origin, or (god forbid) injury. ; or
2. To show off his potential as a #9 to other clubs who are struggling for #9 options.
Simple as keeping him away from Rajab and Haywards development in the halves.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
But it is soooo difficult to make a judgement on a player solely based upon their 1st grade debut. Look at Declan Casey. His 1st grade debut was an abortion (hope I am remembering this right, against the Sharks last year?) but he has risen above that to become a valuable member of the 1st grade squad. How poor would we have been if we had written him off after his first game .....
Wait...Casey is a valuable member of FG?

IMO nowhere near FG material.

Lost Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Cameron Ciraldo is bringing Karl in gently, which is a wise thing to do. Adding another dimension in attack when an unorthodox Reynolds has played havoc on opposition teams.That kick Reynolds performed on the third tackle against the saints inside our ten meter line when we were getting toweled was amazing.8-)

PeteHazz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Wait...Casey is a valuable member of FG?

IMO nowhere near FG material.
Agreed @ASSASSIN. I see him having all the flair you need to get out of NSW Cup with none of the steel you need for FG. Looks good with the ball in open space, but that's nowhere near all of the job description. I genuinely fear his edge defence when he plays FG.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Agreed @ASSASSIN. I see him having all the flair you need to get out of NSW Cup with none of the steel you need for FG. Looks good with the ball in open space, but that's nowhere near all of the job description. I genuinely fear his edge defence when he plays FG.
Wilson would be ahead of him tbh

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Casey is still shaky.

Foxalldayeveryday

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Correct 2 dropped balls and a pass into touch.
I'd say his hit on Ponga evens that out though.