News DOGS LOCK PRESTON IN KENNEL

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Telegraph Sport

Canterbury are poised to re-sign rising star Jacob Preston to a new long-term deal.

Preston, an early candidate for Dally M rookie-of-the-year, is expected to sign a new four-deal at Belmore on Friday afternoon.

The new contract starts from 2024.

“Jacob has settled into life at Belmore and the NRL seamlessly,” said Bulldogs CEO Aaron Warburton.

“He’s a pleasure to have around the place. His drive, professionalism and maturity is evident. He’s a true bulldog”.

The association between the player and Bulldogs was destiny given Preston’s great grandfather, Ernest Flint, was a former Canterbury Leagues Club president.

Preston will only be aged 26 when the new deal expires in 2027.

“Jake has found a home at Canterbury,” said Jacob’s father, Mark.

“He is a loyal kid who never wanted to leave. Canterbury gave him his chance and he won’t forgot that.

“I know Jake will stay committed, focused and respectful.

“You can tell that he loves the club by the way he is playing his football.”

Preston’s Bulldogs play Cronulla this Saturday at Accor Stadium.

Canterbury general manager of football, Phil Gould, has already foreshadowed Preston being a future captain of the club.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It was never in doubt that he'd be re-signed but it's good to get it done early in the season. He's been a revelation this season and will be a mainstay of our pack for years to come. If he keeps impressing as he has, then he might be in line for an Origin jersey in a few years...

ElMagicElMasri

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Question now is the $$$ really wonder what we are paying him? I think 400-450 would be great value if he can maintain the improvement he has shown

Dawain87

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Question now is the $$$ really wonder what we are paying him? I think 400-450 would be great value if he can maintain the improvement he has shown
I’d imagine that’s the ballpark amount with added performance incentives. After 4 years he could be a superstar and that when he could command more $$$

capt obvious

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great to hear, totally deserves it.
Some good news for a change.
Surprised we haven’t announced any future signings yet, ciraldo surely knows what we need going forward

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Great to hear, totally deserves it.
Some good news for a change.
Surprised we haven’t announced any future signings yet, ciraldo surely knows what we need going forward
As Gus says… we’re in no rush