Official Round 8 - Bulldog v Shark - Team List + Match Discussion

Robbothedestroyer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah... honestly I don't have a good feeling about Ciro though.... the chasing of Penrith players, head scratching team selections, chopping and changing of the team and their positions.... even the good looks, assured media persona and constant talk about the adversity we face (we all know we are being smashed by injuries, but no need to make excuses in pressers). He just reminds me a lot of Barrett. Truly he does. If he starts naming team sheets and then chopping and changing on game day, well, that's just another similarity.
Ciraldo has a lot more support ie Gould and a better squad, albeit knocked around with injuries and light on for quality in the spine, than Tbaz but we are yet to see any marked improvement. Defensive structure did look better early on but has fallen in a hole in recent weeks. Attack is still well below par.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I watched a lot of NSW Cup games for the relief (the NRL games were painful in the extreme) and Flanagan did very well, as Flannelette has pointed out in his often posted stats.

Always a Bulldog
How many games did Flanagan even play in that side that made the GF against Panthers … I thought it was very minimal ?

bulldogruss

est.1980
Reaction score
The NSW Cup team made the Grand Final, where we lost to Penrith, hardly unexpected. It would seem to me that Flanagan didn't stifle anything.

Always a Bulldog
He played a minor part last year for NSW cup, 4 games at the start. So you are correct in a way, that Flanagan didn’t stifle the teams chances of making the GF… it’s worth noting the first 4 games were also against teams that didn’t make the finals.

I also attended or watched most cup games. He tried hard (he always does), goal kicking was on point, though wasn’t a standout in attack. In fact a couple of his try assists included fortunate bounce of the balls as I recall. There were also times where his involvement could have been seen as stifling the attacking plays too, which we have also seen in NRL.

Personally getting out to the games and training and seeing what they both have to offer, KO shows a level head, good involvement, creative, generally looks dangerous when running the ball, solid defensively, and doesn’t overplay his role in the team.

Whilst I hope he gets the opportunity to experience first grade soon, I’m also going to back the coaching staff. They are much better positioned to assess he is ready mentally than we will ever be

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's silly. Playing him for 10-15 minutes off the bench isn't going to do as much for his development as 80 minutes of Cup week in, week out will do. If we play him off the bench, we hinder his development and if we rush him into a starting role we risk denting his confidence and doing more harm than good. Add to this the question who is going to start in the halves? Reynolds won't last long playing big minutes in NRL week in, week out given his injury history.

Flanagan did a passable job last year. Not stellar, but as good as we can probably hope for given the roster we have to work with. Continuing to play him and seeing how he goes when the team is not so short on personnel (and hopefully once our discipline improves) makes much more sense than throwing a very talented kid who probably isn't ready right in the deep end.
Look, I know you’d argue your point under water with a mouth full of marbles, but you’ve lost this one, give it up.

No one said 10/15 minutes, I said 20 each half, if you don’t think 40 minutes of 1st grade footy will give him more experience than 80 in a cup game your obviously just trolling again.

We’re no getting what the team needs from our current 7, so give the kid a run, let’s see how he performs ..

Reynolds starting 20 both halves … KO second 20 both halves … if we get a hiding, everyone gets to see where KO needs to focus his training ..

If the coach prepares him and he runs on with the right mind set, he’ll be fine.

If his confidence is shattered for life after 1 game we need to maybe question the strength of his constitution for a career in the Nrl.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I don’t see this as whinging, you make good points, very early days to be all in on CC, and hard to make decisive comments about him without seeing him field his full squad.

Some of his decisions around Reynolds, OKi, Flano, Alamoti and such seem odd to us, but we don’t know what commitments he’s made to them & what they’ve made to him, we don’t get to see a lot of what goes on in training or see his bigger picture ..

Can only wait it out and see what happens …
Exactly right and most of us acknowledge that. We are just fans having a say and giving our thoughts and ideas on our team and the NRL. We don't know much of what is happening behind the scenes and can only comment on a footy forum on what we see on the field and judge from that.

I suspect all of us see a much better future for the club and that things are much more likely to succeed with Ciro, Gus, Warburton and Khoury at the helm.

It won't happen overnight: but it will happen.

We just have to hang in there. In the meantime we discuss our team and all its goings on with a critical, but forgiving, mindset in the knowledge that its just our own opinions, ideas, that no one is 100% right or correct, and we debate on how we get there and improve from week to week as we grow and become successful once again.

Also in the meantime we put up with the whingers, the excusers, the bullies and insulters, the thin skinned, the know alls. (I think I covered just about everyone there) :grinning: if we want to engage on TK bc we all have our own various foibles and personality traits and opinions and demand to share them lol ;)

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The baby is iconic. Its gotta stay so we know its him. Haha
He stole a line from Austin Powers … how’s that iconic ?

Image1681888278.201666.jpg

That’s like someone using GIGGITY … and saying it’s iconic ..

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Ciraldo has a lot more support ie Gould and a better squad, albeit knocked around with injuries and light on for quality in the spine, than Tbaz but we are yet to see any marked improvement. Defensive structure did look better early on but has fallen in a hole in recent weeks. Attack is still well below par.
Disagree, at least defensively where I personally feel we’ve significantly improved (of course solely my own opinion) - from an attacking standpoint, I felt we were really good under Potter.

Our resilience and culture is the best it’s been for years and that’s completely CCS influence. We will be talking about CC for years to come, he’s been super unlucky with things outside his control I.e. injuries and sin bins.

Trust the process.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funny thing is there’s a lot that want Mick Potter back, isn’t he the current attack coach ?

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I watched a lot of NSW Cup games for the relief (the NRL games were painful in the extreme) and Flanagan did very well, as Flannelette has pointed out in his often posted stats.

Always a Bulldog
I said he often hampered the flow of the Cup team in those 4 appearances and had no impact whatsoever in their qualifying for the finals or their success during the finals to the GF.

Essentially the same as others have said since.

To say Flanno did very well is questionable I believe...if so, then BBO must of been the second coming bc he was a far bigger contributor to the team's successful year.

Flanagun

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Look, I know you’d argue your point under water with a mouth full of marbles, but you’ve lost this one, give it up.

No one said 10/15 minutes, I said 20 each half, if you don’t think 40 minutes of 1st grade footy will give him more experience than 80 in a cup game your obviously just trolling again.

We’re no getting what the team needs from our current 7, so give the kid a run, let’s see how he performs ..

Reynolds starting 20 both halves … KO second 20 both halves … if we get a hiding, everyone gets to see where KO needs to focus his training ..

If the coach prepares him and he runs on with the right mind set, he’ll be fine.

If his confidence is shattered for life after 1 game we need to maybe question the strength of his constitution for a career in the Nrl.
You want to waste three interchanges just on rotating your halves? No, fam. Just no.

Robbothedestroyer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Disagree, at least defensively where I personally feel we’ve significantly improved (of course solely my own opinion) - from an attacking standpoint, I felt we were really good under Potter.

Our resilience and culture is the best it’s been for years and that’s completely CCS influence. We will be talking about CC for years to come, he’s been super unlucky with things outside his control I.e. injuries and sin bins.

Trust the process.
Definitely kicked off with improved line speed and resilience but soft tries scored in recent weeks and the inability of our compressed defence to shut down play has been found out badly. Agree too small a sample size.
The part of our game that is still a dogs breakfast is end of set completions which would help enormously with our defensive workload and improve our attacking options. If only we could generate repeat sets and kick out of our red zone instead of continually handing the ball over in our own half.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You want to waste three interchanges just on rotating your halves? No, fam. Just no.
Like many before me, I give up … your just to obstinate .. either that or your still chasing quotas, I can’t tell anymore ..

BUT YOU WIN OK .. keep Flanagan, give him a new contract for all I care, just stfu about it ..

CCC

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Yep, he sure is.
Might be an unpopular opinion but I don’t rate Potter as attack coach. He really just said fuck it, throw the ball around last year and t was better than doing nothing (Barrett). I’d like to see some plan and players in motion, Some skill in execution etc. not just wishful thinking low % options to jag a try

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
He def isn't Nasheed.

He'd cut his arm off before uttering a racial slur or even a racial mild joke.

Ute should be cannonised as the Kennel Patron Saint of the Down Trodden Bulldog Player :grinning:
Im the same really, never do racism thing it is abhorrent