Daily Telegraph/Rothfield Lewis Dodd - St Helens 7

ElMagicElMasri

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
The English Super League’s best young halfback wants to play in the NRL – but has been advised against joining the struggling Wests Tigers.

Lewis Dodd is the 21-year-old playmaker who steered St Helens to World Club Challenge victory over Penrith in February, playing a blinder opposite champion No. 7 Nathan Cleary.

He showed remarkable composure to land the golden point field goal.

The youngster has signed up with NRL player agent George Mimis to look for opportunities from 2025, when his contract is up with the English champions.

St Helens boss Mike Rush says he would advise Dodd to look for a strong club.

“If you go to a Wests Tigers you could be wasting your time,” Rush said.

“He’s still young and has only played 41 games.

“If he came and asked me for an opinion, I’d be happy to give him my thoughts on the better clubs to join.”

Rush’s comments sum up the challenges the Wests Tigers are facing in recruitment.

It is well known in English rugby league that Tim Sheens struggled in the Super League before returning to the NRL.

Rush says his club will reject any attempt to sign Dodd before the end of next season.

“Lewis has expressed a desire to play NRL,” Rush said. “And I’m sure George Mimis will eventually be shopping him around.

“We’d never let him go early because it sets a precedent. We don’t want a player saying ‘you did it for him, why can’t you do it for me?’

The St Helens boss previously advised front-row warhorse James Graham about the positives of joining a club like the Canterbury Bulldogs when he left England.

Interestingly, Dodd could be a serious option for the Bulldogs.

“Coaches like Kristian Woolf are aware of what he can do,” Rush said, “He’s coached him and knows what he can do. He’s super talented and there will be a lot of interest.”

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Has anyone actually watched his game enough?

6. Karl
7. Dodd

18. Burton

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Makes a lot of sense to go Dolphins if he's serious.

Has history with the coach-to-be and would learn a lot under Bennett.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I have literally never heard of him. Is he any good? Haven’t seen an esl game since grahams last game.

We need a composed and dominant half. Run of the mill won’t be enough to elevate us to contenders.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Can’t wait for this ‘God’ to be the main reason we lose today
How many games since his last game? 1 or 2? He is due for his good game either this week or next.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Thanks but no thanks. We’re looking to build not to recruit esl duds.

ChesoBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My money is on either Dolphins or Raiders.

Prefer Dogs keep developing Oloapu.

XR6T

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Is Nashweed banned or something.....he usually has a hard on for 40yr old halfbacks from the ol dart!!

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Makes a lot of sense to go Dolphins if he's serious.

Has history with the coach-to-be and would learn a lot under Bennett.
Nasheed here,
You don’t see English players go to QLD clubs that often because there needs to be a period of acclimisstiatiij to Australian conditions because of the heat. It’s why they start off in Canberra and ease in.