News Should Canterbury persist with Kyle Flanagan? NRL legends urge Bulldogs to 'bite the bullet' after Round 4

Dogs4EVA-1

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
FMD... Flanno, Grub and Okunbor in the 17!!! what a joke... all should not be in NRL.. Grub was terrible last week..
someone tell Gus, losing doesn't get a better draft pick...

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think we are stuck with Flanno until KO is ready

Earlier in the piece when Gus was asked when KO would be in first grade he answered "he will show us when he is ready"

My guess is that Gus and CC are monitoring KO and won't pull the trigger until they are confident that KO can handle NRL and the ups and downs that comes with it

If KO is viewed as our long term 7, I think once he is in...he is in for the long term and that will be the end of Flanno once and for all.

Whether that is this week, next month or next year...all we can do is hope KO is ready sooner rather than later

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Your argument is that RHS has scored more then the left but yet Flanagan's has had nothing to do with it his stats say 0 tries assist!
Try assists are the last person to pass/kick to the try scorer, Flanagan as the 1/2 plays 2 or 3 in, so although he contributes he won't get the assist.

Wasn't my point anyway, the endless harping about Flanagan spoiling the attack is is disproved by the RHS outscoring the LHS, he obviously isn't doing as much disrupting as Burton on the LHS.

Always a Bulldog

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Try assists are the last person to pass/kick to the try scorer, Flanagan as the 1/2 plays 2 or 3 in, so although he contributes he won't get the assist.

Wasn't my point anyway, the endless harping about Flanagan spoiling the attack is is disproved by the RHS outscoring the LHS, he obviously isn't doing as much disrupting as Burton on the LHS.

Always a Bulldog
You aren't the only one watching the games everyone can see that Flanagan isnt doing enough to be our halfback.

Im still unsure if you’re on Flanagan's side or you just love to be on the opposite fence and argue! :tearsofjoy:

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You aren't the only one watching the games everyone can see that Flanagan isnt doing enough to be our halfback.

:tearsofjoy: Im still unsure if you’re on Flanagan's side or you just love to be on the opposite fence and argue!
The later is my guess..

dawso047

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The club thinks KF should be 7, for another week at least. IDK myself.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score

Im still unsure if you’re on Flanagan's side or you just love to be on the opposite fence and argue! :tearsofjoy:
Just doing my bit in balancing the debate, Flanagan is unfairly blamed for things that are not his fault, like Burton not playing to anywhere near his capability.

Always a Bulldog

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Burton kicking was atrocious on the weekend
He is bombs were end over end and landing way too short, alot on the 20 or even shorter
Not one spiral kick to out pressure either
I don’t understand his thinking, he has the biggest kick in the game and chooses the end over end which is more predictable to track opposed to the spiral or belly-kick bomb which floats and is extremely difficult to navigate… why park one of his biggest assets in the garage?

I’d also like to see him run the ball a little more than he has.

Would help if he didn’t have a half that poses zero threat, opposing teams simply focus defence on Burto and his side of the field. Having Reed has at least helped in this regard, he’s been brilliant for us.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don’t understand his thinking, he has the biggest kick in the game and chooses the end over end which is more predictable to track opposed to the spiral or belly-kick bomb which floats and is extremely difficult to navigate… why park one of his biggest assets in the garage?

Would help if he didn’t have a half that poses zero threat, opposing teams simply focus defence on Burto and his side of the field. Having Reed has at least helped in this regard, he’s been brilliant for us.
Has anyone noticed that Burton finished last season with huge bombs and a very good kicking game, he then has a foot operation in the off season & we’ve since seen zero big bombs and he is now struggling with the boot ..

Is there something we don’t know ?

Last edited:

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I bag him mainly Because of @Flanagun!!
Yes I understand that lol.

Most of the tedious bagging of players comes about bc some aggro poster cant accept the concept that we all have different opinions on players strengths and weaknesses and that causes all the outraged to come in and "correct" that person lol

If people just accepted that we dont all think the same then the poor players wouldnt be used as pawns for some egos and pages and pages of back and forward bagging would be avoided lol

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure what statistic on "Kicks" you are using. Number of Kicks perhaps. Burton, who is 11th on the list, is at 11 per game while Johnson and Cleary are on 17.3 and 17.5 per game.

View attachment 67498

Shouldn't we also be using Attacking Kicks, that's even worse, Burton is 16th.

View attachment 67495

Personally I think Kick Metres is a better measure and like everyone else I would expect super boot Burton to be leading that stat easily, but he's 10th.

View attachment 67499

Remember what this is about, it is about Burton doing more work (in this example kicking) due to Flanagan, but the stats plainly show that he isn't doing more work.

Always a Bulldog
Are you serious? The facts are right in front of your eyes and you’re still arguing the point.

I was looking at stat totals and Burton is top 10 in all categories of kicking. Not that it matters when you say that “stats plainly show that he isn't doing more work.” Really? Then where is Flanagan on those metrics? Barely in the top 50 ffs.

Edit: Even if you use averages for the comparison, Flanagan is the 30s for kicks and kick metres and not in the top 50 for attacking kicks, so stuffed if I know how you’re still claiming he does as much work (kicking) as Burton is beyond me.

Last edited:

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score

100% DOW
teams no flannigan is no threat, they actually want him to run and he still doesnt.
Burton's kicks frustrate the fuck out of me, they have been extremely poor

Glenn L

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think we are stuck with Flanno until KO is ready
Earlier in the piece when Gus was asked when KO would be in first grade he answered "he will show us when he is ready"
I think Karl's great reveal will be in about 3 years.

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
@billy beane is this when Cameron Smith supposedly said he doubts Burton is a five eighth? If it isn’t, he basically said what anyone with a modicum of sense believes, that he needs a proper half to contribute so he can play his natural style of game. I can’t see how Smith said this AS WELL as what you reckon he said. He basically likened him to Munster haha.

Maybe you misunderstood Smith, who said, “He’s not a rookie anymore – he’s been around for quite some time and he’s played 60-odd games...you would like to think that he’s gonna be able to take control of this side.” He’s talking about Flanagan here if you didn’t realise.
Are you saying Smith didn't ask if Burton is really a 5/8 ?

The rest of the convo is polite mumbo jumbo.

Of course, a good half will help but it will not make Burton's skillset any better.

What exactly is his natural style of game ? .... can't ball play, reluctant to run, average defender, poor game manager, puts up a good bomb once in a while.

I have been around the game a long-time mate and my eyes don't deceive me, so enough of the condescending shit.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I am pretty sure its a directive from CC that Burton limits his spiral kicks. Not saying I agree with it but theres definitely a reason behind it.

With him being a defensive coach its probably got something to do with making them come off their own line from a corner.

He did 1 spiral against the tigers and it bounced back towards us and Mahoney got pinged for inside the 10. As I said I dont agree with not using it but instances like this would be the reason behind that
im happy for him to do conventional, but he isnt nailing them either, he isnt getting them into a corner on the goal line, they are coming in on the 20 and even 30.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

It’s quite simple, his best bombs are too hard for us to handle as well, so what’s the point? If the opposition drop it or don’t even attempt to catch it, it can bounce anywhere. It could bounce back towards our goal line making us lose ground.

I imagine Ciro has figured it’s better to do standard bombs, not too close to the oppo goal line, so as to avoid 7 tackle sets. Or Burton just isn’t kicking them well, who knows.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone noticed that Burton finished last season with huge bombs and a very good kicking game, he then has a foot opposition in the off season & we’ve since seen zero big bombs and he is now struggling with the boot ..

Is there something we don’t know ?
You might be onto something. Having a groin niggle also, would reduce how big he could kick, if it’s his left groin.

Like I said in my previous post, it may just be a conservative stance Ciro is taking with bombing.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you saying Smith didn't ask if Burton is really a 5/8 ?

The rest of the convo is polite mumbo jumbo.

Of course, a good half will help but it will not make Burton's skillset any better.

What exactly is his natural style of game ? .... can't ball play, reluctant to run, average defender, poor game manager, puts up a good bomb once in a while.

I have been around the game a long-time mate and my eyes don't deceive me, so enough of the condescending shit.
Wtf? No I’m asking if that was the conversation where Smith said he doubts Burton is a five eighth that you reckoned happened. Because he didn’t say it in that transcript.

As for the rest of your drivel, it tells me all I need to know. Being around the game a long time means absolutely diddly squat. Unless you actually have done something in the game. If so, who are ya? Moneyball fan I guess.

Snowmann

Party Rocker
Reaction score
The goddam jittery step he does when he goes to line all to just turn the ball back for a runner to go back underneath does my fucking head!