Burton is overrated.

red-dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Burton is a footballer is great but as a half he still has a lot to improve on. However, to judge him properly we need to look at his strengths & role in the team.

When he was playing well last year he wasn't playmaking but rather getting his hands on the footy often and running; that's his strength similar to Jack Wighton. You could see Ciraldo's game plan for Burton is to get on the footy and run. What was disappointing about the weekend wasn't his lack of playmaking but rather the fact he hid. He needs to be running the ball at least 15 times a game. I am not expecting him to dictate the flow of the game (seems like that's Mahoney's role) but what we need to see more of is his running.

The combo of Burton and Kikau on the left edge should be extremely dangerous as they are both two powerful ball runners. Opposition defences should be sweating about which man to mark. They need time to work on these combinations and i'm confident that by round 10 we will start to see improvement from the entire team but particularly Burton and Kikau.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
So the 'gun was responsible for Burton kicking out on the full twice, throwing intercept passes, hospital passes and passing to Kikau on the fifth? Stop with the bs excuses. Burton's performance on the weekend may well have been the worst by any half in the NRL era.
Nah Flanno was responsible for...........................

If it wasn't for the sinbin, wouldn't have even known he was there.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Nah Flanno was responsible for...........................

If it wasn't for the sinbin, wouldn't have even known he was there.
The other day you were going on about him passing behind the hip, or sone such nonsense. Be consistent, baby!

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
Always was. Said time after time that he's severely lacking as a playmaker. He is however a very good ball runner but he doesn't even do that ATM. Kikau is going to be completely wasted outside him.
It's a coaching problem aswell because he receives the ball primarily in a position of a ball player where he should be coming onto the ball alot more with players in shape so he's not getting marked by 2 and 3 defenders.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Overrated because of peoples estimations, including mine. He is 22 and will develop . . . Overpaid though at this point based on his output. Needs to evolve from always being within 15 metres of the left touchline . . . Get in field Burto and look to create

ElMagicElMasri

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
IMG_1550.JPG

Don’t understand why Burton isn’t running under Kikau like the above example, instead of trying to fit Kiks, alamoti and JAC in a 15m piece of the field

We really need Flanagan to shift around or Brown to play that first receiver role. Shocked we didn’t even look like trying this round 1.

It’s also important for the first receiver to be able to identify a defender jamming in and to play over the top
IMG_1551.jpeg

In scenarios we get a quick play the ball then we can start to play direct to Burton and use Kikau to isolate a defender one on one or in a gap:
IMG_1552.jpeg
IMG_1553.jpeg
Penrith identified that him playing that sweep is where he operates best though, and having Kikau run that lead is so dangerous, this ends up being another try with Kikau busting through and Burton following up Kikau on the inside:
IMG_1554.jpeg

Last edited:

ElMagicElMasri

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Meanwhile last weekend, Burton keeps receiving the ball like this, a prop on his outside and Kikau running the sweep and having to make that critical decision. It's slightly encouraging that Flanagan is somewhat playing both sides but our shape, spacing and timing is all wrong

1678233053208.png

There's enough to suggest that Burton can be incredibly dangerous in the right set up. His running game is great and his left foot step is a weapon and has displayed a decent short pass when he needs to release Kikau. For those saying he needs to play like a fullback or even start they aren't entirely wrong. Eventually it would be good to see him sweep under on the right hand side as well, but for now nailing their roles on the left is critical.

Last edited:

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
This is fucken madness.
The best minds in rugby league were all after this kid and we got him. Were they all wrong? I doubt it.
he plays 1 bad game, behind a badly beaten pack, after a long season including a WC, post season surgery, and one half of a trial in 32deg, and now we want him moved to the centers, the forwards or even gone??
like Mase said on the levels pod, this kid is a genuine superstar.
Maybe give him more than a game? Watcha think?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
This is fucken madness.
The best minds in rugby league were all after this kid and we got him. Were they all wrong? I doubt it.
he plays 1 bad game, behind a badly beaten pack, after a long season including a WC, post season surgery, and one half of a trial in 32deg, and now we want him moved to the centers, the forwards or even gone??
I'm.nkt basing my opinion off one game, I've basing it off everything I've seen from him. As a ballplayer he is severely lacking and always has been and right now he doesn't even want to run. He should.bounce back today but he isn't close to the level certain people make out.

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is fucken madness.
And they want to bring lewis back the silly *****

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'm.nkt basing my opinion off one game, I've basing it off everything I've seen from him. As a ballplayer he is severely lacking and always has been and right now he doesn't even want to run. He should.bounce back today but he isn't close to the level certain people make out.
Look, I’m no rugby league supermind. But those who are, all rate this kid.
We see him play once a week, these guys see angles we never get to.
if they like him, I’m interested in having him.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This thread should be called “Marley is overrated”..:kissingheart:

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Look, I’m no rugby league supermind. But those who are, all rate this kid.
We see him play once a week, these guys see angles we never get to.
if they like him, I’m interested in having him.
Everyone rates him yet he signed with us, twice, sure.

Jonboi

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
This is fucken madness.
You know that’s not the way of the kennel mate lol one bad game and it’s danger stations lol