Young dog Oloapu doing everything right

ChesoBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
And why people focus on his missed tackles. He has areas of his game he needs to improve on no doubt but he is not picked based on his defence. He is 10 times the creative half Flanagan is. Flanagan may have missed no tackles last weekend but his influence on the game was NATA and has been for 3 years.
I know lol they act like halves shouldn't miss any tackles lol. But teams run at Walker all day, that's the strategy, hence why he misses some. Couldn't care less about a few missed tackles from my playmaker. As long as he is showing his worth when he is attacking, that's all that matters.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
First impressions were very good, watching him get more and more involved in his first hit out as a Bulldog. Reading this gives hope that he can be ready for first grade sooner rather than later. We need all the help we can get. It’s still very early though.

Does anyone know if he’s played against all ages before? I know he played for Norths Devils, but don’t know if they have age restricted comps as well as their Qcup team.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
First impressions were very good, watching him get more and more involved in his first hit out as a Bulldog. Reading this gives hope that he can be ready for first grade sooner rather than later. We need all the help we can get. It’s still very early though.

Does anyone know if he’s played against all ages before? I know he played for Norths Devils, but don’t know if they have age restricted comps as well as their Qcup team.
Last week was his 1st reserve grade game. I Katoa from Dolphin only played 1 reserve grade game last year and just debuted.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Flanagan, Perham and Averillo keep struggling in the next few weeks then hopefully they're replaced by Oloapu, Papalii and Skelton respectively with Kiraz to centre and Skelton to wing..

They might ideally need more time in Reserves, but they also all look much better than those they'd be replacing.. Flanagan and Averillo especially have had more than enough chances..

Those three are our most exciting prospects in Reserve Grade.. There's no time like the present..
How about this?

1. Perham/Avo
2. JAC
3. Burton
4. Alamoti (on his best side)
5. Kiraz
6. Karlo
7. Grub/Flange

Maybe I’m drinking the “burton’s not a 5/8th” koolaid too, but it’s also that Karlo has more of a 5/8th style. Could he and Burton work in the halves? Probably but I’m not convinced.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
this years a loss anyway
Given up after one game?

Good point about Papalii.. Might have to wait til round 11 for him. The other two should hopefully be in FG in the next few weeks. If Katoa can start for the Dolphins instead of Milford, then soon enough Oloapu can replace Flanagan.
Papali’i’s defence is suspect too. I’d want to see several more games from him in nsw cup before promoting him.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think he needs a little experience being the dominant half and playing on the right side of the field... I think they have plans but probably fulltime first grade towards end of year. First Game they had JR playing dominant right side than when JR went off, KO was still primarily on the left but was mostly first receiver calling the shots. Suspect they will eventually have him on right as the dominant half for several games before they would consider bringing him in to replace Flanno. They are trying to develop him into that rather than just throwing him into it.
Good observation my man.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Given up after one game?

Papali’i’s defence is suspect too. I’d want to see several more games from him in nsw cup before promoting him.
Given up hope of seeing anything great this year.. oh after one game, it will take time huh ? :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
And why people focus on his missed tackles. He has areas of his game he needs to improve on no doubt but he is not picked based on his defence. He is 10 times the creative half Flanagan is. Flanagan may have missed no tackles last weekend but his influence on the game was NATA and has been for 3 years.
Please go back and re-watch the game, (painful, yes) and you will see Flanagan make 2 try saving tackles, that's 12 points that they didn't score. Many coaches claim that a try saved is as good if not better than a try made.

That's why Walker is a handicap, his liability in defense in obvious and is exploited by their opposition. Plus they station a big body to protect him in defense which takes another out of their defensive pattern.

Always a Bulldog

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Best half at the club, come off it mate. I value your opinions over most on here but that is a terrible call. Flanagan isn't only not a half, he isn't a first grade NRL player.
I'm talking about KO, sorry thought it was obvious lol

Flamingo isnt an park footy HB's arsehole

Mozzie

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
We spent 500k on breaking his contract, the lad is special, throw him in and see how he goes.. can't be any worse than 'i do nothing' flannagan. I don't give a shit if he has a few good defensive tackles, we don't need that, we need a goddamn half back
I agree, If we were going to talk about a few good defenive tackles we should have kept Lewis as our halfback. He probably would have outplayed some of our forwards this week. Although not the answer bring in Reynolds he is better than Flaninotagain and have KO at 14 to give him a break.

Chrisaaar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What i'd give for a general like kimmorley back here to help these young guns.. the guy would was a fkn machine for us, i don't care what anyone thinks.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Given up hope of seeing anything great this year.. oh after one game, it will take time huh ? :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:
You’re the one telling the story. I know I haven’t given up after one game. You’d have to be mad to do that.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
You’re the one telling the story. I know I haven’t given up after one game. You’d have to be mad to do that.
Then two games, three, four and five. Maybe even six,seven and eight. But after that we still have to be #patient

Paul Doolans mirror

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
rush him in and rush him in now. wasting time by playing flanagan he ain’t a long term option but that’s just me.
I agree...weak defence is what held ben barba back(until he improved to be a great last line of defence)..karl can tackle so he needs to be our 7...Flanagan offers zero in attack.

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Rush him like we did with Averillo? Let the kid develop in NSW cup first. We don’t have the ideal system and structures for him yet.