Burton

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Burton has just come off a small off season operation.

Might still be tentative / holding back a little due to that.

Flanagan has no excuse. He's had 2 trials now and been comprehensively outplayed in both of them.
Who outplayed him in the Canberra game? He was best half on ground lol

He wasn’t that bad yesterday either. Hard to do much when your fullback is constantly dropping the ball and the dumbass forwards are giving away penalties.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Exactly, Fam. Flano is just sissy’s gonna be the scapegoat because the melon heads on here go into the game with preconceived notions and only see what they wanna see, baby!

GUSLER

Kennel Established
Reaction score
For me Burton’s issue was that he wasnt involved. Mahney either went short in good attacking positions, or Burton touched it 2 passes wide with the def right in his face. The concern yesterday was that the play wasn’t structured around Burton at all. That’s the huge concern. Seriously you couldn’t tell that it wasn’t Barrett’s bulldogs yday.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Maybe it is down to the hard training run the day before, the hot weather, the slippery ball, and the Belmore hoodoo.

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
All part of Ciraldo's plan, to expose Flanagan once and for all to the Belmore faithful by giving him full control.
Trent Robinson was the smartest coach Flanagan ever had. Unfortnately for us, he sold him blindly to Trent Barret.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
We'll know more against Manly if we have improved or not.

Not much we can do except discuss, excuse or blame :grinning:

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I said Burton is a centre and stand by it.

Please show me any proof that he is a 5/8th
I said that basically last year but then next game played like a 5/8 .
he has the ability but not do it on consistent basis , I agree with you tho at this stage he has shown to be a centre nothing more

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Burton was off yesterday, he's done the same in the past - every player needs to be held accountable for their performance. I do still think he was told to take a step back and let flanno control the game but when he did get the ball he looked lost and not interested.

He wasn’t the worst on the park and not far off either, Ciro and Gus have 2 weeks to work on the team.

Last edited:

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I think it was a combination of things. He definitely had an off game, but I also think he was told to let Flanagan control the game, and Flanagan made a mess of it, and that gave Burton nothing to do. If Burton was told to take the opportunities and control the game more, similar to the end of last season, I think he would have had a much better game.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it was a combination of things. He definitely had an off game, but I also think he was told to let Flanagan control the game, and Flanagan made a mess of it, and that gave Burton nothing to do. If Burton was told to take the opportunities and control the game more, similar to the end of last season, I think he would have had a much better game.
I’m certain he would have been told it’s just a run to get his game fitness up. You’d be mad not to get him the ball as much as possible, hence I reckon CC just gave him that direction. There’s plenty more games to come and ones that count. He’s coming off an injury and a very long season, apparently not trained a lot recently, yet 90% of TK expect him to be carving up. It’s completely unrealistic.

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it's pretty obvious that they have been working on deficiencies in defence and skills in the preseason. not much in actual attacking shapes.

That will develop over time. everyone played shit in attack. Having said that we were a whisker away from two additional tries to Averillo. If you add 12 points 36 to 28 against a top 4 team.

I am more worried about our defence on the edges, seemed more fragile than i was hoping, but something to work on.

Trials are meant to find deficiencies and combinations. Good news is we have things to work on.

But it appeared JR showed more than Flanno and Skelton showed more than Kiraz...

Dogs4eva13

Previously James Cochrane
Reaction score
What I noticed is neither of our halves goes looking for/ demanding the ball. Look back at shifty's highlights jumps into dummy half, is always running one of the ruck, looking for and wants the ball. Even Reynolds st least goes looking for the ball. Without a ball playing lock. Reynolds has to be in the team and brown on the bench. Our halves are just too passive. If that means Flanno is dropped or Burton to centre whatever. Also didn't hate Reynolds at 13. But obviously that wouldn't work at the start of the game and not for huge minutes.

Harry Oz

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Burton simply needs some leadership and creativity from the inside players.
Ciraldo had Perham, Brown and Flanagan getting in each other's way.
For him to get involved closer to the ruck is just going to make it worse. Losing Kikau may not have helped.
The LHS of attack and defence is not the main problem at the moment.
What to do with Averillo, Flanagan and even Perham is far more serious.

Dyldog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Burton was quiet but Flanagan was rubbish, he’s suppose to half back who has control of the team in attacking positions and not go missing two passes wide of the ruck. He has a weak running game.. I’ve never seen him break a tackle, his long kicking game is weak.. end over end and generally 15m short of where other half’s place it, his last tackle options are panicked. He’s ok in defence but that’s as far as it goes.
I’ve seen little to nothing good in Flanagans game that’s worthy of a first grade jersey for our club and for the powers that be think another preseason with a new coach.. they’re kidding them self.
I’d play two 5/8’s.. Burton on the left and Reynolds on the right and have Reed steer the ship.

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Finally someone with some sense agrees. Burton was horrible today and everyone is ignoring that and banging on about Flanagan
Get used to it Ellie ... VERY common occurrence around here.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
yeah kind of looked like he was told to park on his edge, put the bomb away and let flange control the team :tonguewink: