After watching today's trial game, who's in your 17?

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
01. Hayze Perham
02. Jacob Kiraz
03. Jake Averillo
04. Paul Alamoti
05. Josh Addo-Carr
06. Matt Burton
07. Kyle Flanagan
08. Max King
09. Reed Mahoney
10. Tevita Pangai Junior
11. Viliame Kikau
12. Jacob Preston
13. Ryan Sutton

14. Jackson Topine
15. Raymond Faitala-Mariner
16. Luke Thompson
17. Franklin Pele

I'd have TPJ & Pele share 1 prop spot with King & Thompson sharing the other prop spot. That way we always have 1 destructive prop on & 1 workman like prop on.

Last edited:

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Perham
Kiraz
Alamoti
Averillo
Addo Carr
Burton
Flanagan
Thompson
Mahoney
King
Kikau
RFM
Sutton

TPJ
Preston
Waddell
Brown

Kennelnator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Reynolds and Nu Brown have been brought in on one year contracts only, which means they will be playing Cup and/or 18th man, and will be coming in to fill during origin, injuries and suspension

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
After watching Preston play today, we are covered well in the backrow with Kikau, RFM and Preston....Davey will also add value

From what I have seen over the last couple of years, Waddell is better when playing prop/lock than in the backrow

I think we are lacking a couple of players up front and Waddell will plug a hole until we get a couple of better forwards

We have King, Thompson and TPJ....Sutton is a workhorse and doesnt offer any impact, though will be sufficient in CC system.....

Waddle will add impact off the bench and hopefully he has gotten rid of the stupid penalties and the odd bobble

Pele looked trimmer than his days at Cronulla, though he still needs to start at Cup and work his fitness and D, and if he does it well, no doubt he will come into the 17 later in the year

Patolo seems like a pus (Ogden, Atoni), hopefully he has had a few shots of aggression throughout the pre-season
Waddell is definitely not an impact player

Kennelnator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Waddell is definitely not an impact player
He is definitely better in the front row than on the edge

Considering what we have up front, Waddell will one player coming off the bench trying to add impact

Wish we had better, but got to work with what we have

AucklandDog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
After todays game, hopefully, JAC, Burton, Kikau and TPJ can squeeze into the starting 17

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He is definitely better in the front row than on the edge

Considering what we have up front, Waddell will one player coming off the bench trying to add impact

Wish we had better, but got to work with what we have
That’s fair enough, he may come on and do a job in the middle.. but he’s not the type of “impact” player that will come on and change a game. He is the furthest thing from an impact player (see Jason Tuamalolo, Spencer Leniu, NAS etc). Impact players come on and change a game with a big run or a big shot in defence…something Waddell is not capable of doing

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Perham/Burns
2. Foxxy
3. Schmavo
4. Alamoti
5. Kirazy
6. Hurtin4Burton
7. Flange
8. King
9. Money
10. Thompson
11. Kikau
12. RFM
13. Sutton

14. Preston
15. Nu
16. TPJ
17. Pele/Skelton

Edit: It’s actually difficult to choose just 17! Great spot to be in. Didn’t even remember Grub who could be good instead of Nu, and couldn’t fit in Davey who I reckon is good enough to play from the bench. Probably forgot others too.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Immediate reaction:

1. Averillo
2. JAC
3. Alamoti
4. Skelton
5. Kiraz
6. Burton
7. Flanagan
8. TPJ
9. Mahoney
10. King
11. Kikau
12. Preston
13. Sutton

14. Brown/Perham
15. Pele
16. Thompson
17. RFM
Damn I think I like this better than my team. That is a sexy team full of points! Question marks over having two inexperienced centres though. Watching both players in attack though is exciting and think they could probably handle it.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also having a tough time justifying picking Thompson tbh. Maybe he’d be better at lock and start T at prop with King? Play Sutton from the bench. It could work. Thommo’s ability if any is being mobile. Playing lock might suit him better.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Thompson's PC metres were actually better than our other starting middles, faster play the ball speed too.
I dunno, maybe the stats tell a different story but just from my observation he doesn't provide much punch through the middle.

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I dunno, maybe the stats tell a different story but just from my observation he doesn't provide much punch through the middle.
His effort and fitness in defence is really good but when it comes to making metres, he struggles. Sutton, King and Thommo were really cleaning up the middle with some good defense like leg tackles more so than big hits but they did very well. All pretty fit guys

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Also having a tough time justifying picking Thompson tbh. Maybe he’d be better at lock and start T at prop with King? Play Sutton from the bench. It could work. Thommo’s ability if any is being mobile. Playing lock might suit him better.
You do realise the only difference between lock and prop is when they take the first hit up?
Defensively all middles are the same

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Yes he has never really looked physically dominant enough to be a top prop but he looked a little better today. I think playing off Mahoney helps his game but I'd still personally prefer him off the bench for us.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You do realise the only difference between lock and prop is when they take the first hit up?
Defensively all middles are the same
Yeah nah. Actually lock is second row and they do more work around the ruck.