Opinion Karl Oloapu

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Interesting development.
I think this shows two things.

1. like I and a few others predicted, it is likely Burton will move back to his strong position, centre, to accomodate him as he is a 5/8. Not surprising to me but will be to some.

2. Khaled and his fans will be dirty. This has essentially pushed him out of the club. No doubt a lot of dogs fans will be filthy a young, Muslim player has been turfed.
Well race and religion aside I think Khaled is more of a runner with the footy than an organiser so unless we can make that work with his strengths and the style of footy Ciro wants to play he’s likely a utility at best. The interesting thing over the next few months will be to see where Karl is training and then eventually playing. I’m guessing an option at 7. Burto won’t go to the centres stop being silly. He needs some quality around him which he is now starting to get.

Mackdoggies

Kennel Established
Reaction score
All preseason the words from Ciro have been about building our own identity, our own style. I think you might have hit the nail on the head with this theory. Burton may eventually wear 7. I mean, he was essentially the half that did everything last year anyway. Barking orders all over the park. I can see him becoming that half this year and honestly if he can drive the team and still be as dangerous as he is we don’t need the traditional organising 7. I’ve got a feeling this is Gus & Ciros plan. Everyone knows traditional game organisers are getting fewer and further between, so fuck it, we’ll play a game that doesn’t need one.
Yea people are too caught up on the traditional beliefs of a good side. When they changed the rules to make the game faster, it made big mobile second rowers the most important players in the forward pack. This is why the Kikau signing made so much sense. Nobody understood how important that style of player is becoming.

It also made fast outside backs very important. We have been transforming our backs into one of the fastest in the comp. The club has identified the new mould that is needed for the new game the NRL has created. It’s all about speed and power now. Penrith have thrived in this new game. But they haven’t perfected it yet.

Solid forwards, big fast mobile second rowers, speed and tackle busts galore out wide and then two big bodied halves that can bust through the line but also know when to throw a cutout pass or kick. It’s an exciting model that makes sense with the rule changes. Bloody excited to see it!

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dear woke Millennials and Gen X, Y and Z.
This man isn't self entitled and drinks
tea stronger than your feelings.
It’ll never happen but conscription should be brought back as it was in their days.

Corporal punishment in schools should never have been totally banned.

Respect has been replaced by woke millennial’s who wouldn’t know shit from clay.

Mackdoggies

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Cronulla successfully play 2 running halves with Hynes and Moylan and Melbourne do the same with Hughes and Munster.

Always a Bulldog
As much as most people wouldn’t want to accept, Penrith essentially do too. Cleary has a very strong running game and is probably the closest style to Burton in the comp. Obviously Cleary is a long way ahead of him right now but they have a very similar game, just Burto isn’t as big a talker yet. Cleary developed his talk and organizing very early thanks to having a Dad who is a coach.

Melbourne and Cronulla both have a fullback in the halves (Moylan and Munster) so it’s not quite the same as having two natural halves with running games that can cover any position in the backline. They do enough but it’s nowhere near perfect. Hynes is more natural in the halves than fullback.

I would compare this new style to origin games where you just put all the stars in any position to get them in the team. It works in that arena at such a fast pace!

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oloapu was between managers when he signed with the Broncos, and revealed to Wide World of Sports at the time that he had to attempt to understand the document on his own.
“I was between managers when I signed with the Broncos. I only went to see them with my older brother Joe for advice," he said in November.
“They gave me a document that was more than 60 pages long and told me to sign it.
“I tried to read and understand it all in 30 minutes, but without a manager or legal advice it was very hard.
If this is true, how shameful by the gronks! Expecting him to sign a contract without proper representation is fucked.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
All preseason the words from Ciro have been about building our own identity, our own style. I think you might have hit the nail on the head with this theory. Burton may eventually wear 7. I mean, he was essentially the half that did everything last year anyway. Barking orders all over the park. I can see him becoming that half this year and honestly if he can drive the team and still be as dangerous as he is we don’t need the traditional organising 7. I’ve got a feeling this is Gus & Ciros plan. Everyone knows traditional game organisers are getting fewer and further between, so fuck it, we’ll play a game that doesn’t need one.
The organising half stuff is a total myth that has been exposed since the 6 again rule change.

Burton could easily play halfback, as you said he was running the show in 2022. He played himself into contention for Australia & NSW shouldering a huge part of the responsibility.

Mackdoggies

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Contract should have been voided in bad faith tbh
Good chance that’s what the NRL was putting pressure on them for! They either would have had to offload a top 30 player to make him happy or let him move on. They know they did him wrong. No chance they wanted to let him go otherwise!