Official Stephen Crichton signs with the Bulldogs 2024

Do you think Crighton will make a good fullback?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Watched a bit of Stephen Crichton film at fullback, looks silky and creative in the end of backline movements to deliver the pass to his outside men. Often was great in putting them into space. Seemed relatively involved, not like Latrell where he is lazy but not Edwards/Tedesco level like of involvement.
Solid positioning for kicks but struggles to tackle, arm grabber as a fact.

PantherMagic

Waterboy
Reaction score
What a wholesome, lovely bloke you are @PantherMagic Goodluck into the season, will Panther 3 peat or not. We shall see. Best wishes mate
Much appreciated CQDog..A 3 peat is very hard to do, many variables to consider. I think we are a chance but I would be happy if we gave it a good crack but a better team won this year. Cant be greedy, the last 3 years have been epic.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Hey Bulldogs fans, a 45 year Panthers fan here, my commentary is based on watching every game Stephen Crighton has played. Currently, he is on $585K with the Panthers, my club sources say we offered him around $700K for 3 years but his management advised against the tenure length rather than the $ figure. He wants to play fullback and is stuck behind the current Clive Churchill medalist and Top 3 fullback Dylan Edwards, who still has 3 or 4 years left in him at the top level. Word quietly out of the Pathers sheds, is he has been offered around $800K to play fullback with the Dogs with performance-based increases pushing toward $850k - $900k in the next year '25 etc. Gus won't announce anything until a week has passed after Crighton's public announcement of not being at the Panthers for '24. Here's the thing, at his worst, he is a lazy runner and rushes up in defence. This is not very often, at his best, his clutch plays win premierships and finals, he is fast and athletic and is a great goal kicker, no arguments can be made there. In the middle of that, he is a Top 3 centre and potentially a great fullback, he is 22 for Petes sake! Very astute posters on this site have noted that at worst, you will have a killer back row whether he is at centre or fullback. He's a winner, arrogant, probably, confident, absolutely, it's infectious. For '24, Bulldogs look not just Top 8, but potential Top 4 and don't listen to any trolls, most of us in Panther land welcome a Bulldogs resurgence. Great recent purchases and talented juniors are a winning combo. Just sort out number 7 and all of the Top 4 will be looking over their shoulders. I watched a lot of late-season '22 Bulldogs games and there is something big brewing. Ciraldo can coach, he has had as good an apprenticeship as most.
Thanks for the insight.. Smart and respectful fans from opposing teams such as yourself are always welcome on The Kennel.

PantherMagic

Waterboy
Reaction score
Watched a bit of Stephen Crichton film at fullback, looks silky and creative in the end of backline movements to deliver the pass to his outside men. Often was great in putting them into space. Seemed relatively involved, not like Latrell where he is lazy but not Edwards/Tedesco level like of involvement.
Solid positioning for kicks but struggles to tackle, arm grabber as a fact.
True story..Can defend very strongly or very arm grabby..if he can solve that riddle, he will be made in the shade
Thanks for the insight.. Smart and respectful fans from opposing teams such as yourself are always welcome on The Kennel.
Thanks B-Train, plenty of intelligent discussion here on this forum..true footy fans love to learn more about the game..

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I say this again, if our offer is still the same as of months ago, it's nowhere near $900k.
I think we all know from experience that the numbers that get thrown around in the media re player’s wages (particularly Dogs signings) are usually significantly off the mark. Until Gus & CC give me a number of reasons to doubt their judgment, I will back it over the keyboard warriors foreboding predictions & hand wringing on TK..

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
Be u
Because Brian Fletcher is such a reasonable guy.... remember when he let Burton our of the final year of his contract to come play for us.......
You never know. Just because that was the case for Burto doesn’t automatically mean its the same for Critta. What I’m pretty much saying is it wouldn’t hurt to ask.

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
You never know. Just because that was the case for Burto doesn’t automatically mean its the same for Critta. What I’m pretty much saying is it wouldn’t hurt to ask.
Panther could move Crichton off early so Turuva starts his way into the NRL as he has been locked in as a future prospect

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
Panther could move Crichton off early so Turuva starts his way into the NRL as he has been locked in as a future prospect
Yeah bro. Turuva is definitely a prospect. Lowkey weapon imo. He only knows one way that kid.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
I remember a couple of years ago the Club was excited that we're chasing Charlie Staines. He was going to be the messiah....after his 4 try debut on the right wing for Panthers...Baz and others were so excited to try bring him with Burton. Alas, in the fullness of time Staines isn't wanted, a much better potential prospect in Crichton is.
Just think of Crightons attributes. Physically he's not far away from Tommy Turbo. Just as Turbo is an almost exclusive running FB so too will Crighton be...at least early on in his full time FB career. Give him time. He's been able to set up a few tries on Panthers wing, he's a solid defender, he's not lazy. He will learn the passing game better in coming years. It goes with the FB territory. Slater wasn't much of a passer of the football either early on at FB.
Crighton is big, strong, a powerful runner, can get off the ground to take bombs. With the right skills coaches he can make a good hand at FB.
Increasingly excited by the prospect and suggest Averillo to centre or utility role ahead of Grub.

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thing is, Panthers don't really need Crichton. They can afford to lose him.

They have a backline still of:
Edwards
To'o
Tago
May
Turuva

Noticed they've also signed Jack Cogger for this season.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I remember a couple of years ago the Club was excited that we're chasing Charlie Staines. He was going to be the messiah....after his 4 try debut on the right wing for Panthers...Baz and others were so excited to try bring him with Burton. Alas, in the fullness of time Staines isn't wanted, a much better potential prospect in Crichton is.
Just think of Crightons attributes. Physically he's not far away from Tommy Turbo. Just as Turbo is an almost exclusive running FB so too will Crighton be...at least early on in his full time FB career. Give him time. He's been able to set up a few tries on Panthers wing, he's a solid defender, he's not lazy. He will learn the passing game better in coming years. It goes with the FB territory. Slater wasn't much of a passer of the football either early on at FB.
Crighton is big, strong, a powerful runner, can get off the ground to take bombs. With the right skills coaches he can make a good hand at FB.
Increasingly excited by the prospect and suggest Averillo to centre or utility role ahead of Grub.
Turbo can bust tackles for fun, not Crichton's best asset

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hey Bulldogs fans, a 45 year Panthers fan here, my commentary is based on watching every game Stephen Crighton has played. Currently, he is on $585K with the Panthers, my club sources say we offered him around $700K for 3 years but his management advised against the tenure length rather than the $ figure. He wants to play fullback and is stuck behind the current Clive Churchill medalist and Top 3 fullback Dylan Edwards, who still has 3 or 4 years left in him at the top level. Word quietly out of the Pathers sheds, is he has been offered around $800K to play fullback with the Dogs with performance-based increases pushing toward $850k - $900k in the next year '25 etc. Gus won't announce anything until a week has passed after Crighton's public announcement of not being at the Panthers for '24. Here's the thing, at his worst, he is a lazy runner and rushes up in defence. This is not very often, at his best, his clutch plays win premierships and finals, he is fast and athletic and is a great goal kicker, no arguments can be made there. In the middle of that, he is a Top 3 centre and potentially a great fullback, he is 22 for Petes sake! Very astute posters on this site have noted that at worst, you will have a killer back row whether he is at centre or fullback. He's a winner, arrogant, probably, confident, absolutely, it's infectious. For '24, Bulldogs look not just Top 8, but potential Top 4 and don't listen to any trolls, most of us in Panther land welcome a Bulldogs resurgence. Great recent purchases and talented juniors are a winning combo. Just sort out number 7 and all of the Top 4 will be looking over their shoulders. I watched a lot of late-season '22 Bulldogs games and there is something big brewing. Ciraldo can coach, he has had as good an apprenticeship as most.
Welcome mate as many have said you're most welcome here anytime.This summary of Stephen Chrichton is great and how a good majority of us think about him, he will be super for us I'm pretty confident.Some give him shit about the arrogance well I'm sure when he is doing this for us there will be no hate only love..you have summed up that all perfectly too imo.
We look forward to rising up and hopefully matching your talented footy team in the next 2 years, you still have many fantastic players so a good season beckons for certain again this year.

And yes we are definitely going places except for the halfback issue..Couldn't spare Nathan for say a couple of months could ya? :tearsofjoy: