How much should we offer Moses ?

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This is not the way. We need to work with what we HAVE, not rely on imagining what we could get. The demise of the great Bulldogs club since 2015 has been first and foremost because of spending too much money on the wrong players.

We now have CC, the most sought after prospect in coaching. Let's give him some time with what we HAVE, and a bit of room to try and get a few additional players at good value. The team for 2023 is already looking stronger, Kiks, Mahoney, Burton, Fox, King, TPJ, Thompson, Jackson, RFM, Sutton are all at the minimum capable first graders, most of them have the ability to be elite, or already are elite. Averillo, Alamoti, Kiraz, Topine, are all still youngsters who have already shown class at NRL level, or promise to. Our NSW Cup team made the GF! Let's see what CC can do with what we HAVE, and who he considers good value for bringing in and filling the gaps in the squad. We need to get out of the cycle of paying players good money because we are trying to prove to them that we are a team worth playing for and instead get into the cycle where players come to us to prove that they are worth paying good money to stay here.

A big development program with clear pathways is an important part of the system, and that is well under way. Signing someone like Moses for $1.1M is antithetical to what is being built. We shouldn't be doing it, and it is dumb to be talking about it.
Totally agree. We need to invest in the best juniors and ride this out. All the top earning half's are at the pointy end of their careers, probably won't leave their current clubs, and are asking too much.
We are not far off being competitive as it is, and im expecting a big improvement next year given our personnel changes, and our new coach.

RookieDog

Dogs1
Reaction score
Have they even found Moses yet after he went missing in the GF?
The little turd is in hiding.

He missed the birth of his first child when Parrascum played Cowboys so he could guide the Parrascum to the premiership - look how that turned out.

The Parrascum can lose a grand final more than once but he chose to put football ahead of being there for the birth of his first child - a once in a lifetime occasion. Very, very bad decision in my opinion. And now he's stuck with it for life.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
so was it dumb that the club was willing to pay 900k for ben hunt if he became available?
Ben Hunt at 900k for 2 seasons is better value than Moses at 1.1m, but it seems likely that our main objective there was to help keep the pay packets of leading players at other clubs honest. I don't doubt we will pay attention to every decent player who we can talk to, first and foremost to keep the caps of other teams as full as possible, and secondly because on the occasion we are going to end up talking to a JAC, who wanted to come and didn't cost overs.

For these reasons we enquired about Munster, and we will enquire about Moses, and probably DCE, Latrell, and all of those blokes whenever the time is right.

But with all the talent we are starting to attract to the juniors, we need to show that there is a clear path to first grade. We don't do that by paying overs for players who are well established elsewhere.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We haven't had a decent 7 for years though. It's such an important position and a decent 7 would help develop Burton much quicker also. I was hoping BBO would kick on this year but didn't seem to happen. Looks like Wakeham is leaving and Flanagan just doesn't have the natural skills it seems to offer much in attack. Hayward still too young. If we want to go anywhere in the next couple of years looks like we definitely need to go to market for a 7. We have a tonne of cap space for 2024. We should finally use it for the right positions (spine)
If the right one at the right price wants to come for the right reasons, sure. It is debatable that Moses could meet 1 of those criteria, let alone all 3.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
NRL Market Watch: Latest free agency and player movement news and whispers
Parramatta’s grand-final side is in danger of being gutted at the end of next season, but where star halves Mitchell Moses and Dylan Brown end up playing in 2024 is anyone’s guess.

Peter Badel and Brent Read

The Dolphins are targeting Parramatta’s grand-final halves Mitchell Moses and Dylan Brown as pressure builds on super coach Wayne Bennett to land a marquee signing for the NRL’s 17th team.

News Corp can reveal Dolphins bosses have earmarked Moses or Brown as Plan B marquee recruits for 2024 in the wake of Cameron Munster’s decision to stay loyal to the Storm.

But the Dolphins are facing a battle for Moses, with the Bulldogs — armed with a $7 million recruitment war chest — launching a multimillion-dollar poaching bid for the Parramatta playmaker.

Moses is contracted to the Eels until the end of next season but has indicated he will join around 200 players to head to free agency from November 1 – opening the door for a raft of suitors, including the Dolphins and Bulldogs, to strike.

The Dolphins have $1.4 million to spend on a marquee player after Munster rejected their NRL record offer and Bennett is prepared to redirect those funds to lure Moses or Brown to Redcliffe.

Moses is on $900,000 at Parramatta, while his scrumbase partner Brown is on $850,000, and the Eels will come under enormous pressure to upgrade and extend their star halves under the salary cap.

The Bulldogs have just eight contracted players on their books at this stage for the 2024 season, giving them several millions of dollars in salary-cap space to blow the Eels out of the water for Moses, having already poached Parramatta hooker Reed Mahoney.

Of the 25 playmakers off-contract for 2024, Moses and Brown are two of the most attractive options and Dolphins boss Terry Reader confirmed the NRL’s expansion newcomers have drawn up a hit list of priority signings.

“I’ve had discussions with Wayne and Peter (O’Sullivan, recruitment boss) about what our targets look like for 2024 and Cameron wasn’t the only one,” Reader said.
“We have a number of guys we have been on the lookout for and we have the salary cap room to table competitive offers.”

Asked if Moses and Brown are on the Dolphins’ radar, Reader said: “We are certainly in the market and nothing changes in that regard. We will continue what we are doing and making sure we sign players that we believe will be a good fit for our team.

“Now that we have clarity on Cameron Munster, we will continue negotiations with other players and their managers.

“We’re comfortable with our progress and we’ll fill our roster with more spots before kick off in 2023.”

Having missed out on Munster, Dolphins hierarchy have discussed the relative merits of Moses and Brown.

Just turned 28, Moses has played 198 NRL games and is in the prime of his career at halfback, while Brown, 22, is six years younger than his Eels teammate and could be an NRL second receiver for the next decade.

Moses insists he is content at the Eels but he is sure to be tested by lucrative offers from the Dolphins and Bulldogs, who have maligned halfback Kyle Flanagan off-contract next year.

“I would love something to get sorted but I have left it up to my management,” Moses said.

“I love this place. They have been so good to me and to experience something like the grand final, it makes you want to come back.

“I am not really worried at all (about his contract). In the past I have handled it probably the wrong way. I have learnt from those mistakes, I am pretty cruisy.

“I have full trust that something will get sorted. It’s only a matter of time.”

Brown will test his value on the open market after the World Cup and his manager Chris Orr said it would take a $1 million-plus offer from the Dolphins to prise the Kiwi Test playmaker out of the Eels.

“There’s no doubt he is happy at Parra,” said Orr of PSM.

“He has a great relationship with everyone at the club and it would take a massive deal to pull him out of the club.

“The reality is Dylan is a different individual. He walks to the beat of his own drum.

“Dylan is a free spirit and if I went to the open market, he would have a stack of clubs chasing him. I’ve had calls from a few clubs but I’ve respected Dylan’s request not to worry about contracts until the World Cup is out of the way.”

Just a month out from their first pre-season, the Dolphins have yet to fill their 30-man roster, but Reader dismissed concerns about their recruitment following the Munster setback.

“We need to sign another six players but under NRL rules, you need to have 24 players by November 1 and we have met that,” Reader said.

“There is still plenty of time before we officially run out in March next year.

“Wayne (Bennett) has spoken about the need for patience and we still have some firepower to add to our squad.

“While we have missed out on Cam, there will be other quality players on the market and guys will get squeezed out because of the salary cap.

“The Dolphins still have funds in the cap to add quality for 2023 before we start worrying about our second season in 2024.

Froggo

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Nothing, overrated . There are 100 kids coming through who can have a cracking game 1 week and go missing the next. They’re just $700,000 cheaper. Constantly fails when it counts.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's just a speculatory article once again referring back to 'war chest' .. no quotes or direct links, just speculation based on how we only have 8 players contracted for 2024 and clearly money to spend and Moses will test the open market and be available for us shall we choose to go that way.

Although a spine consisting of;

1. Jake Averillo
6. Matt Burton
7. Mitchell Moses
9. Reed Mahoney

would be mouth watering.

Last edited:

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Push up Moses price and then make an offer to Dylan Brown.

Make Parra pay overs for Moses and then struggle to afford Brown.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I know alot of people are critical of Mitchell Moses but he has a very good record against the Storm and Panthers teams over the last 3 seasons. Parramatta have beaten both those teams regulalry and Mitchell has been the reason for that.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Push up Moses price and then make an offer to Dylan Brown.

Make Parra pay overs for Moses and then struggle to afford Brown.
Brown is probably the worst 5/8 in the NRL. How he can command $850k a season is laughable.

Philistine

Kennel Established
Reaction score
What has Wakeham done to upset the Kennel? He played two games in first grade last season, he scored a try against Manly and played well in terrible conditions. He did nothing wrong in the next game (Storm 0 - 44) in a badly beaten team and then got injured for a few weeks. Since then he has played well every week in the reggies and helped to steer them to the grand final - but never got another go in FG even though Flanagan's deficiencies were obvious to everybody except the coaching staff (and Flanagun)!

Watch him blossom in the World Cup for Fiji.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yet still offers more than Flanno normally.

We really need a Sam Walker type player to organise, and let Burton play his natural game.
Agreed, there was rumors for a while that the Roosters were considering cutting Keary if he could find a new club because of his concussion issues. I wonder what happened with that.

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Watch him blossom in the World Cup for Fiji.
Played 48 minutes before getting injured and not playing again in the game.

Hobbled off with what appears to be a lower leg or ankle injury.

End result was:

1665195250216.png