Opinion Jackson at Prop?

Artybulldog 26

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
Reaction score
Thoughts on the idea. Think it’s time now that he’ll be especially valuable in the front row. Allows RFM to start in the right edge where he looks his best, and Thompson, King or Pangai to ball play and offload at lock. What Jackson does best is tackle and take the tough runs, which he can do well at prop.

8. Jackson
9. Mahoney
10. Thompson
11. Kikau
12. Faitala-Mariner
13. King
14. Topine
15. Sutton
16. Pangai Junior
17. Davey

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I wish he could play prop BecUse the ball usually dies with him, but he is to small for prop

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Thoughts on the idea. Think it’s time now that he’ll be especially valuable in the front row. Allows RFM to start in the right edge where he looks his best, and Thompson, King or Pangai to ball play and offload at lock. What Jackson does best is tackle and take the tough runs, which he can do well at prop.

8. Jackson
9. Mahoney
10. Thompson
11. Kikau
12. Faitala-Mariner
13. King
14. Topine
15. Sutton
16. Pangai Junior
17. Davey
I can see the thinking you have there but I would like to think TPJ becomes a starting prop and not on an edge.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I've been saying for years that Jackson should be a bench middle. Just get him to tackle everything that moves and take the occasional run.

He shouldn't be on an edge anymore and shouldn't be starting.

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
I got a better idea. Pay him out his final year and let him run the water.

Dyms17

Waterboy
Reaction score
If prop is the name of the 18th NRL side and they miraculously enter the competition with the Dolphins next season, then im all for him playing at prop.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
If we signed a quality ball playing lock (e.g. Matterson) I would of moved Jackson into the middle. With what we have we don't have a quality ball playing lock so I think it's best to keep Jackson there.

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Against teams with smaller props it might work, but against players like Paulo or Asofa-Solomona, Jackson would just get steamrolled.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Against teams with smaller props it might work, but against players like Paulo or Asofa-Solomona, Jackson would just get steamrolled.
Jackson tackles Paulo. NAS is different, no one tackles him. But Jackson does good against Paulo

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Bench he should be playing a Tolman like role at the Sharks, Fitzgibbon used him sparingly.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I've been saying for years that Jackson should be a bench middle. Just get him to tackle everything that moves and take the occasional run.

He shouldn't be on an edge anymore and shouldn't be starting.
I think once he gets more of a balanced pack around him and a coach who can coach, his work rate will be reduced and used in the way you're suggesting.

He cops a lot of unfair stuff, for years he's played with our wooden spoon pack, but still maintained the same effort levels

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I think once he gets more of a balanced pack around him and a coach who can coach, his work rate will be reduced and used in the way you're suggesting.

He cops a lot of unfair stuff, for years he's played with our wooden spoon pack, but still maintained the same effort levels
He is starting to get washed like Finucane IF we over use him, he will fall off tackles and look what happened with Murray on Finucane in the final.

amapusae

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been saying this for years. He plays like a prop anyway

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Some of the smaller props like Sam Moa make up for what they lack in size with explosiveness and the ability to offload. Jackson doesn't have that. May as well just play as a workhorse for 80mins and rotate the other props for impact.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

I'll never question his effort. Hopefully he isn't asked to do too much and can play better in a reduced minutes and a simplified role. Like you, I'm hopeful Ciraldo isn't blind and doesn't try and use him like he's Cam Murray like Baz did.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Some of the smaller props like Sam Moa make up for what they lack in size with explosiveness and the ability to offload. Jackson doesn't have that. May as well just play as a workhorse for 80mins and rotate the other props for impact.
Jackson offers absolutely fuck all as an 80 minute player, you just can't carry a bloke for that long that literally just runs and tackles at an average level. We've also got King now, he was literally putting Jackson like numbers up in defence while being more dominant, being a stronger ball carrier and having an offload.

Jackson's role needs to change and we should be looking at reducing his minutes and increasing his intensity imo. Jackson playing say 40 minutes with maybe a touch more size at a higher intensity probably offers more than Jackson just slogging it out for large periods.