Time To Ditch Captains Challenge

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was good in theory but has proven to be not only another hold the game could do without but it's unfair and that was evident not only in last weeks Cowboys/Tigers game where without it they would have avoided what was a very bad look for the game.

Cronulla in this game have lost their challenges and would've had won a challenge that lead to a try for Souths in what was a clear infringement on the player catching the ball but they had NO challenges left and staggered that the referee or touch judge didn't penalize. A few minutes later and Souths score when they shouldn't have.

Yes there are going to be calls you get and calls you don't, Payten said as much after last weeks debacle. Surely the video referee or touch judges should be more involved than having the game continually stopped for a Captains Challenge.

It was worth giving it try but time to but it in the bin permanently.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
then don't waste your challenge
"Don't waste your challenge" LOL!

It's subjective. You're only hoping your player is absolutely certain they want to challenge and even when they say they are they're NOT.

Lose your challenges while the other team has them and you'll end up with the same crap we saw in the Cowboys/Tigers game and also tonight game of the Sharks and Souths.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
"Don't waste your challenge" LOL!

It's subjective. You're only hoping your player is absolutely certain they want to challenge and even when they say they are they're NOT.

Lose your challenges while the other team has them and you'll end up with the same crap we saw in the Cowboys/Tigers game and also tonight game of the Sharks and Souths.
sounds like a sharks problem

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Souths lost anyway.
It was a tough game but it's a lucky dip as to whether you're going to get the call from the video ref and it stops the game when the ref is paid to REFEREE. Souths were lucky to even have the game go into extra time as the Sharks would've been hard done by as Souths scored off the referee and touch judge not giving the Sharks a penalty when their player was clearly impeded but Sharks couldn't Challenge as they'd lost them.

Scrum formed and Souths scored.

In a GF we could get a farce like we had in Townsville and that was bad enough. I know nothing is going to be perfect but I'd much rather they ditch the Captains Challenge

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
What I don't get is why the bunker chooses to view and overturn some decisions but not others?

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
I'm for having Captains challenge. Refs get it wrong enough already, glad to see some of their mistakes get overruled. I'd like the bunker to get it wrong less though. Its gobsmacking when they have big screens and super slow motion and see something different to everyone else. Consistency in interpretations would be good too.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I hate the captains challenge. They change the rules and sport completely with this six again shit to artificially speed the game up but then they have a million stoppages for captains challenges and all sorts of other Bunker intervention which slow the game down. Makes heaps of sense.

The sport is run by imbeciles who change rules or make new one without thinking of the repercussions.

They're going to get calls wrong even with bunkers and reviews etc. I'd rather there was no video ref other than for groundings and foul play. Let refs and touchies make decisions and not have the bunker there as a safety net for them. Maybe then the refereeing standard would improve because they'd actually have to referee the game.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I love the Captian's Challenge, is has proven many times that the refs get it wrong. Best of all it is another ref that proves them wrong which makes their mistakes undeniable, leaving the NRL nowhere to hide. There are a number of games where we have had 2 or 3 50/50 calls in row go against us and they have been ruled by the Captains Challenge to have been wrong.

The only improvement I would make is that the NRL should be made to publish how many times each ref has been over rulled by a Captain's Challenge, plus the data on every team and where the games were played. It's irrefutable evidence the proves or disproves that some refs are influenced by the teams' position on the ladder, who the team is regardless of their position and the home crowd effect.

Always a Bulldog

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tigers challenged 3 times and got it right, ref was an absolute idiot trying to cost the tigers another game.
But they also get it wrong a LOT.

Those who think it's good obviously didn't see the Cowboys / Tigers match which the Captain Challenge brought about another howler decision from Klein that wouldn't have happened had there been NO Challenge. Players running after the referee like it was under 10's game. Suppose to be professional and this was a very bad look for the game.

Cronulla, last night, clearly had a player taken out when attempting to catch a bomb, the referee, touch judges & video ref deemed it a knock on. Souths scored shortly after from another poor decision.

Today was the icing on the cake in our game against the Knights. Clearly Averillo was hit in the head, referee didn't see it and we Challenge the decision and the female video ref must have her eyes painted on by saying that was UNSUCCESSFUL! Worse still they then send Averillo to the Head Bin! What the......!

It was good in theory and worth a try but the Captains Challenge has to be done away with.

Last edited:

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Find it very annoying and time consuming but as mentioned it does highlight how many things the refs stuff up.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Time to ditch the Bunker completely. Go back to 1 ref and just fucking adjudicate what's in front of you.

Over the time wasting and shit calls.

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Time to ditch the Bunker completely. Go back to 1 ref and just fucking adjudicate what's in front of you.

Over the time wasting and shit calls.
I am over the super slow motion & pausing & having 20 odd looks.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love the Captian's Challenge, is has proven many times that the refs get it wrong. Best of all it is another ref that proves them wrong which makes their mistakes undeniable, leaving the NRL nowhere to hide. There are a number of games where we have had 2 or 3 50/50 calls in row go against us and they have been ruled by the Captains Challenge to have been wrong.

The only improvement I would make is that the NRL should be made to publish how many times each ref has been over rulled by a Captain's Challenge, plus the data on every team and where the games were played. It's irrefutable evidence the proves or disproves that some refs are influenced by the teams' position on the ladder, who the team is regardless of their position and the home crowd effect.

Always a Bulldog
They're still getting it wrong when they do decide on a Captains Challenge. Did you see the Cowboys / Tigers match?

Do you agree with the decision from the video ref when Averillo was clearly hit on the side of the head. Yet they ruled it unsuccessful and then to compound their ineptness the referee ordered Averillo to the HEAD BIN!

It hasn't improved the game at all, just slows the game down further and they're still getting it wrong after reviewing Challenges. It's a JOKE of a rule and we're heading down the path of American Gridiron if we keep introducing rules like this.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Didnt like the idea at first as its a gimmick.
Now I like it, it exposes inaccuracy with the refs decisions and often they can get it wrong during a match when challenges are successful.
I acknowledge that reffing would be a tougher gig than say 20 years ago.