News "News" More Burton media dribble

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The kid just walked into state of origin and played in a position he hasn't played in all year and looked like he's been there for 5 years. He's got way more than just potential.
It's a lot easier playing centre in an origin side full of elite players,compared to playing the play maker role in a rebuilding side

CeeEss

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I honestly reckon we'll see him head to the NFL in the next 10 years and make tens of millions as a punter so I don't think money will be an issue long term. He came to play in the halves and surely an opportunity to be at the centre of rebuilding a great club will be enough of an incentive to stay.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
@Mutt Dafty I'm being serious. It was kind of obvious that ponga was so over rated

Meanwhile burton has all the basic blocks of superstar already in place and he just needs to build on it

The one thing of more involvement, that's also slowly coming along with more confidence and growing into his role.

It's obvious that in a couple of years, no matter who we sign as halfback, Burton is going to be the dominant half. He wants more involvement himself when plays

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I don't blame us but. Been a while since we've had someone decent in the halves. Plus all the stigma from the Thurston stuff up will never leave us.
I love Burton as much as anyone here, but everyone needs to settle down.
I do, too many silly ***** lol.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
@Mutt Dafty I'm being serious. It was kind of obvious that ponga was so over rated

Meanwhile burton has all the basic blocks of superstar already in place and he just needs to build on it

The one thing of more involvement, that's also slowly coming along with more confidence and growing into his role.

It's obvious that in a couple of years, no matter who we sign as halfback, Burton is going to be the dominant half. He wants more involvement himself when plays
Yet there were plenty on here that wanted us to throw millions at Ponga. Burton has a long way to go before he's a million dollar player.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think 700-750k with incentives and is fair for Burton. For example, we really should be leaving 'Classic' behind and getting a jersey supplier that also makes boots, eg Puma. That way you try establish a third party for him in sponsorship. I mean why wouldnt you want someone with a big boot like Burton marketing your products.
Gus isn't a fool and I'm sure he has considered things like this where possible.
You cannot get TPA’s via a club sponsor. So if we were to move to Puma for e.g. Puma cannot give Burton a TPA deal. TPA’s can only be supplied by individuals or businesses that have NO association with the club.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No doubt as others would pay more and inflate the market. Still doesn't change what's a fair wage for him. I just hope we don't get stuck paying a 1mil because of Roosters and Storm who have no cap.
I honestly don't know what value his kicking game is worth.

As a 5/8th, he isn't worth more than 600k atm. He hasn't shown it here or even at Penrith. I've seen him play exceptional games but they have been at centre. Even last night, was at centre.

He may never make it as an elite 5/8th. Might just be a better than average one. But his kicking game is top notch and he has that as an advantage to most others. If he can compliment it with a passing game in the middle of the field, then yes, at some point he can be a 1M player.

Otherwise, he becomes a good player with a lethal boot. And I just dont know what that is worth.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tell him not to let the door hit him on way out. We have let go many players before him and he wouldn't be the last either.
At the moment, he is extremely important to our team, as he has the ability to kick us out of trouble.

But until he can improve our piss poor 'points scored from tackles inside opposition 20m' stat, he can't possibly be seen as anything but a player of promise.

Even rejects like Milford, Shaun Johnson and Ash Taylor set up more tries and they ended up in the scrapheap.

He may truly end up being a very good centre with a very good kicking game.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don’t know why people are getting worked up about this

He’s isn’t going anywhere

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I wouldn't say long, he'll be there 2 seasons max
Maybe, maybe not. His ability as a ballplayer is an issue at this stage in his career, it's fairly lacking while he hasn't really shown much of a passing game at all so far. If we're talking about a million dollar player then I think he needs to be a bit further along in that area of his game.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Just a few weeks ago there were those on here saying we shouldn't be upgrading him. While it most likely wouldn't have been finalised anyway, had we been able to do this then it probably would have saved us a significant amount of money at least for a season or two. The Roosters worries me the most as there are no rules for those guys and they will happily toss Keary aside for a shiny new toy.

I did see Burton's old man (I think) on TV wearing a Dog's cap rather than a NSW cap. I wonder if he was simply supporting Matt or whether he may already have been a Bulldogs supporter? If yes, that would go a long way in helping retain Burton. Anyway if we do the right thing by Burton, I trust he'll do the right thing by us. The NFL still scares me though.
Anyone who said that doesn’t understand the game. It’s clear as day this kid is special. I don’t want the club to skimp on his contract. Hel be worth every penny and some for the next decade and multiple premierships will be won.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yet there were plenty on here that wanted us to throw millions at Ponga. Burton has a long way to go before he's a million dollar player.
Too be fair, I rate Ponga as the more skillful and accomplished player right now, but Burton's kicks are more important to our team as I don't see us getting opportunities in the opposition 20m zone through our forwards play.

Mahoney will improve Burton's game next year but we really need to either find a real halfback to compliment him or invest and support Wakeham.

Im not convinced Burton can be the dominant half. Another year with Flanno next to him might be the catalyst for him to consider moving on

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Burton is no where near worth a million dollars. Paying kids on potential is what had gotten clubs in so much trouble over the years. And he wont get a million from us either.
When in a few years he is as good as Munster and has runs on the board then maybe he will get another upgrade.
Exactly right. Munsters current contract is nowhere near 1 mil. His next one will be more then 1 mil, but he is an established superstar of the game that has been winning comps and playing rep footy for years. Burton has a long way to go yet. In saying this, he is also very grounded, so i dont think he would be expecting that kind of money either.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think 700-750k with incentives and is fair for Burton. For example, we really should be leaving 'Classic' behind and getting a jersey supplier that also makes boots, eg Puma. That way you try establish a third party for him in sponsorship. I mean why wouldnt you want someone with a big boot like Burton marketing your products.
Gus isn't a fool and I'm sure he has considered things like this where possible.
Nor is warburton. Im sure there has been extensive discussions on this.