News "News" More Burton media dribble

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Exactly, as good as he has been he still has a lot of development left in his game yet people want to pay him like he's a top 5 player. This is how you end up like the Knights with Ponga.
I partly agree with this, but he’s already shown more than Ponga, imo. Burto isn’t a million dollar player yet, but he’s not far off it. Around the 750-850k mark, I reckon…. And that figure could still go up depending on performances in the second half of the year.

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
So name a figure you think he's worth.
What i think means fuck all, but at this very moment. Not a cent over 700 max absolute max. Kid has done nothing yet...

He will be a future superstar for us and he will eventually get superstar money but not atm.

Glenn L

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think 700-750k with incentives and is fair for Burton. For example, we really should be leaving 'Classic' behind and getting a jersey supplier that also makes boots, eg Puma. That way you try establish a third party for him in sponsorship. I mean why wouldnt you want someone with a big boot like Burton marketing your products.
Gus isn't a fool and I'm sure he has considered things like this where possible.
I doubt 700k would even get you a meeting with his manager to be fair.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
We need to name a coach or at least tell Burton who the coach will be. The luxury we have is we could upgrade him for next year and no one else can.
Give him another 300k for next year and 850-900 for the next 3 years after.
You don't think the players have an idea who is in our sights as coach?

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Munster isn't getting paid a million per season by the Storm though, he has other sources of income though.
WTF #1 does it matter anyway, he is getting paid $1m+ a season, how much is in their Cap is just speculation and knowing Melbourne's history with Cap rorts it could be only $500k in their Cap.

Burton will stay for less than a million a season and the only clubs that would be offering that are dead end clubs that are going to be irrelevant in the finals, if Burton wants to sign with them and throw his career away then he can go right ahead and do it.
WTF #2, you are applying a different measurement to Burton, why should you assume that if we pay him $1m that all of it is in our Cap? We have just as many loopholes available as anyone else.

Always a Bulldog

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Exactly, as good as he has been he still has a lot of development left in his game yet people want to pay him like he's a top 5 player. This is how you end up like the Knights with Ponga.
I don't blame us but. Been a while since we've had someone decent in the halves. Plus all the stigma from the Thurston stuff up will never leave us.
I love Burton as much as anyone here, but everyone needs to settle down.

Glenn L

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What i think means fuck all, but at this very moment. Not a cent over 700 max absolute max. Kid has done nothing yet...

He will be a future superstar for us and he will eventually get superstar money but not atm.
So when his manger says "we'll think about it" after hitting them with that offer, you'd be happy to let him go then?

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Que 1. Is Burton prepared to move out of Sydney. If yes then Storm, Broncs & Cows come into it. All would clear space for a bid on him and all 3 may need a 5/8 in 24. If he isn't prepared to move the obvious competitior to us is Politis. For us to keep him I think he needs to see a few more signings from us to show we will are building and will be competitive in 23 not 24. Phil Gould will need to move on players like flanigan who suck salary cap & just don't compliment him enough. Then you have Thompson who I doubt will return so we need to come up with a nifty half. I think west tigers may be our source of a half.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I doubt 700k would even get you a meeting with his manager to be fair.
No doubt as others would pay more and inflate the market. Still doesn't change what's a fair wage for him. I just hope we don't get stuck paying a 1mil because of Roosters and Storm who have no cap.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
WTF #1 does it matter anyway, he is getting paid $1m+ a season, how much is in their Cap is just speculation and knowing Melbourne's history with Cap rorts it could be only $500k in their Cap.

WTF #2, you are applying a different measurement to Burton, why should you assume that if we pay him $1m that all of it is in our Cap? We have just as many loopholes available as anyone else.

Always a Bulldog
But that's what everyone is talking about, we're talking about cap money. Don't care if he gets another $2m in third party, good luck to him, we're only worried about our cap balance.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't blame us but. Been a while since we've had someone decent in the halves. Plus all the stigma from the Thurston stuff up will never leave us.
Why the fark should we settle down, we are not the ones paying him, we certainly aren't signing his contract. We can rant and rave on here as much as we like, it has zero effect in the real world where Gould operates.

Always a Bulldog

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Kennellers havs a very very very short memory when it comes to Moses Mbye and being the next Thurston. We all know how that story went.
I know Burton isnt an Mbye but back then everyone thought he wss the next Messiah..

Apex Cedar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look I love Burton but the fact is right now he isn’t even in top 10 best halves. How can you pay him what some are suggesting ? Relax. We win 2 games one against soon to be spooners and you guys blow your load. Fuck me

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
But that's what everyone is talking about, we're talking about cap money. Don't care if he gets another $2m in third party, good luck to him, we're only worried about our cap balance.
Not Marley, he has trouble distinguishing between what payer gets paid (that no one should give a fark about) and what is included in his team's Cap (the only thing that matters).

Always a Bulldog

Glenn L

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No doubt as others would pay more and inflate the market. Still doesn't change what's a fair wage for him. I just hope we don't get stuck paying a 1mil because of Roosters and Storm who have no cap.
Any of the top 4 sides would happily make space for him at 700K a season. Penrith would for sure and he'd be back there in a heartbeat.

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
So when his manger says "we'll think about it" after hitting them with that offer, you'd be happy to let him go then?
Tell him not to let the door hit him on way out. We have let go many players before him and he wouldn't be the last either.

trent_solotar7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Glenn L

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tell him not to let the door hit him on way out. We have let go many players before him and he wouldn't be the last either.
Ha ha yeah and no Premiership in 18 years! FFS.