News "News" More Burton media dribble

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Article now updated
Million dollar Burton

He famously shifted to Canterbury to play five-eighth on $400,000 – but Matt Burton is rapidly heading towards being the NRL’s next million-dollar superstar.
it'll end up that way no doubt

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Looking forward to 40 mins on 360 tonight where they talk more about how Burton is now worth 1.5mil a year and Dogs are in one or more of the following scenarios;
a. in trouble because he will get offers from other clubs and theyll struggle to keep him
b. will need to gut their team to offer burton the money he needs
c. burton does not deserve more than a mil because he has shown in origin he is one of the best centres in the comp but an average 5/8
d. penrith need to get him back!

Have i missed any plots?
Yes you definitely missed another point

e. Burton is worth 1.5 mil a year but he will go for 400k a year to Penrith/Roosters/Melbourne because they're already established squads

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yeh Buzz, we're going to have A LOT of trouble trying to keep him at the dogs. I'll tell you why Buzz:

1. We got NO money in the cap for 2024
2. Burton doesn't want to play with Mahoney and Kikau, neither does he want to play with JAC.
3. Burton said the Penrith players helped him get into Origin and not his Bulldog team mates.
4. Burton hates Phil Gould
5. Phil Gould said that he ALWAYS LET'S A PLAYER GO that he wants to keep, Gould likes keeping the ones he doesn't want.
6. Burton's Dad is encouraging his son to leave the Bulldogs and play for the Roosters, that's why his dad was wearing a Roosters cap last night
7. Burton can't believe the dogs are making him play 5/8th, he's always wanted to be a centre and kick less during games.
8. Good Country kids from Dubbo are not loyal. Look how disloyal Isiah Yeo is. Even Bobcat Ryan jumped from club to club searching for the almighty dollar.
9. The dogs have too many quality spine players, we need to offload a couple.

We know you hate us Buzz. You talk too much shit. The nursing home is waiting for you.

Malla

Reaction score
Yes you definitely missed another point

e. Burton is worth 1.5 mil a year but he will go for 400k a year to Penrith/Roosters/Melbourne because they're already established squads
Can't fuckin wait for it!!!

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I said it last year he’d be the kangaroos number 6 within 24 months. Buzz is right he’s value has gone up after last night. 800k minimum with backended deal
Just a few weeks ago there were those on here saying we shouldn't be upgrading him. While it most likely wouldn't have been finalised anyway, had we been able to do this then it probably would have saved us a significant amount of money at least for a season or two. The Roosters worries me the most as there are no rules for those guys and they will happily toss Keary aside for a shiny new toy.

I did see Burton's old man (I think) on TV wearing a Dog's cap rather than a NSW cap. I wonder if he was simply supporting Matt or whether he may already have been a Bulldogs supporter? If yes, that would go a long way in helping retain Burton. Anyway if we do the right thing by Burton, I trust he'll do the right thing by us. The NFL still scares me though.

Last edited:

hackenbush

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I reckon playing at the Dogs gave Burton a better opportunity to play SOO that if he played at the Panthers. At the Dogs he showed he could play at 5/8 and centre, his kicking game on display would have been non existent due to Cleary handling all the ball & he showed that the could be dominant in an under performing team

Glenn L

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Article now updated
Million dollar Burton

He famously shifted to Canterbury to play five-eighth on $400,000 – but Matt Burton is rapidly heading towards being the NRL’s next million-dollar superstar.
A million per season is a very realistic minimum offer. Probably more than that plus third parties to keep him. The club really needs to work out a long term DCE/Taumalolo 10 million 10 year deal and they need to do it now.

fiordog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking forward to 40 mins on 360 tonight where they talk more about how Burton is now worth 1.5mil a year and Dogs are in one or more of the following scenarios;
a. in trouble because he will get offers from other clubs and theyll struggle to keep him
b. will need to gut their team to offer burton the money he needs
c. burton does not deserve more than a mil because he has shown in origin he is one of the best centres in the comp but an average 5/8
d. penrith need to get him back!

Have i missed any plots?
e. if canterbury do retain him - "how can they afford Burton, JAC, TPJ, etc etc = Canterbury breaching the salary cap "

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
A million is a very realistic figure. Probably more than that plus third parties to keep him. The club really needs to work out a long term DCE/Taumalolo 10 million 10 year deal and they need to do it now.
There isn't a single 5/8 in the game that earns a million a season so it isn't realistic at all.

Glenn L

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There isn't a single 5/8 in the game that earns a million a season so it isn't realistic at all.
Guess what? There will be now and his name is Matt Burton. Also it's not just what he offers on the field. The guy is a marketing dream. Well spoken, good looking. He's going to be a money making machine for any club he's with.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I cannot stand Buzz. He has hated the dogs for years. Now that Gus has joined that hate has grown to an embarrassing point.

He does have a point though. Burton needs to be priority number one! Now we cannot afford to wait until November. Show him the love now! Upgrade him what is possible for next year and then extended him on superstar money for 2024 and beyond.

Something as simple as the Bulldogs taking on Group 11 as a development area. Adopting and helping to fund the grassroots in Burton’s home town. Taking a home game there every year. Maybe adding a trial game there also.

This would be a good thing for both the club and Burton.

Make no mistake though people thinking he will sign a $800k deal are dreaming. He is going to be offered a million dollars a season elsewhere.

I would love to see a bigger picture plan with Burton. I think investing money outside the cap in Group 11 would help get him cheaper.

He has shown me enough to say he is worth throwing the book at on a very long deal. Build the team around him.

Glenn L

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I cannot stand Buzz. He has hated the dogs for years. Now that Gus has joined that hate has grown to an embarrassing point.

He does have a point though. Burton needs to be priority number one! Now we cannot afford to wait until November. Show him the love now! Upgrade him what is possible for next year and then extended him on superstar money for 2024 and beyond.

Something as simple as the Bulldogs taking on Group 11 as a development area. Adopting and helping to fund the grassroots in Burton’s home town. Taking a home game there every year. Maybe adding a trial game there also.

This would be a good thing for both the club and Burton.

Make no mistake though people thinking he will sign a $800k deal are dreaming. He is going to be offered a million dollars a season elsewhere.

I would love to see a bigger picture plan with Burton. I think investing money outside the cap in Group 11 would help get him cheaper.

He has shown me enough to say he is worth throwing the book at on a very long deal. Build the team around him.
10 year/1-1.2 million per season deal. Make it happen Gus.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Guess what? There will be now and his name is Matt Burton. Also it's not just what he offers on the field. The guy is a marketing dream. Well spoken, good looking. He's going to be a money making machine for any club he's with.
no

Kung fu man

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a few weeks ago there were those on here saying we shouldn't be upgrading him. While it most likely wouldn't have been finalised anyway, had we been able to do this then it probably would have saved us a significant amount of money at least for a season or two. The Roosters worries me the most as there are no rules for those guys and they will happily toss Keary aside for a shiny new toy.

I did see Burton's old man (I think) on TV wearing a Dog's cap rather than a NSW cap. I wonder if he was simply supporting Matt or whether he may already have been a Bulldogs supporter? If yes, that would go a long way in helping retain Burton. Anyway if we do the right thing by Burton, I trust he'll do the right thing by us. The NFL still scares me though.
Or he may have already agreed to terms?

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm with ya that Burton ain't worth near that but Munster is on well over a mill tis year. Throw in all the endorsement that he lost probably adds 100 to 120 a year on top too
Source: I've seen some tpa sponsorship contracts.
You've also got to pay on potential :/

Glenn L

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm with ya that Burton ain't worth near that but Munster is on well over a mill tis year. Throw in all the endorsement that he lost probably adds 100 to 120 a year on top too
Source: I've seen some tpa sponsorship contracts.
You've also got to pay on potential :/
Burton will be smoking Munster within 3 years.