Official Paul Vaughan off to ESL in 2023

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The $3.654M has to be divided among 30 players - just like us! There is a loophole that allows a super league club to nominate two players as "marquee" and their money isn't counted in the cap. This is not for the likes of Vaughan though (no disrespect intended). It is for up-and-comers like Jai Field and Jack Welsby, so that, when the NRL come calling, their super league clubs can make realistic counter offers.

Paul has been good for us this year but he is not quite the player he was four or five years ago. Next season he will be a year older and a year slower. He will get an easier run in super league. Best of luck to him.

BTW - if any of you are on Kayo, you can watch the English second division game between Leigh and Featherstone. An old Dogs favorite, Krisnan Inu is going round for Leigh. He looks like somebody's grandfather has wandered on to the pitch but he is still playing well.
Yeah I know what you mean, I'm just saying there's a reason he went to the SL despite still being in solid form.. That's because he'd be getting more money there than what he could get in the NRL and probably a longer term deal.

capt obvious

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Imo our most consistent forward by a mile, great defender, who cares about the bird.
Treated harshly by the media imo.
Good luck to him, shame to see him go.
Offers more than sutton

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could have used him next season tbh. So with this news who'll start in '23? Tevita and Thommo? Sutton;s not a prop right? King could start. Maybe they thought that King is capable of doing as much, or more work than Vaughan and is more value for money. Vaughan probably expected more $ this time around because he's performed well.

ElMagicElMasri

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Why are people saying we are light in props?

Tpj
King
Thompson
Sutton
Patolo

With Jackson playing middle to fill in gaps.

I think the club is looking for King to make another step up and become a premier prop in his own right…looks good to me…

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score

Warrington Wolves set to land NRL prop duo as huge squad overhaul continues

Warrington Wolves' eye-catching overhaul of their squad is set to continue with the arrivals of Paul Vaughan and Josh McGuire. The Daily Telegraph claim the pair are set to join the club next season and Rugby League Live understands the pair are incredibly close to putting pen to paper on deals with the club.

Vaughan is currently in his tenth season in the NRL in a career that has seen him play for both New South Wales and Australia. Currently at Canterbury Bulldogs, he is set to be joined at the Halliwell Jones Stadium by fellow teammate Matt Dufty in a recruitment drive that is quickly becoming one of the most high-profile in Super League history.

Vaughan, who has also played for Italy, played in the 2018 and 2019 State of Origin series and then represented the Kangaroos after being part of two back-to-back Blues winning sides.

Always a Bulldog

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
No great loss, He has been consistent though.
The loss is consistency. Unlike Thompson which is the total opposite especially with the coin he is on.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Do not rate Sutton one iota

Hopefully Sutton is only a NSW cup signing on NSW cup salary, andnot a replacement for Vaughan
He's a squad player at best, bit of a worker but isn't really dominant on either side of the ball. I was okay with it until it was mentioned he's on a quite a fair bit more than expected but I guess we will just have to wait and see who else we sign. Need another big body to replace Vaughan.

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Hopefully he goes out like a G and coathangers someone into the next dimension.

If he doesn’t get sent off, a piledriver will do.

Finishing Your NRL career in a blaze of glory is the way to go.

Cheng

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
He's a squad player at best, bit of a worker but isn't really dominant on either side of the ball. I was okay with it until it was mentioned he's on a quite a fair bit more than expected but I guess we will just have to wait and see who else we sign. Need another big body to replace Vaughan.
I think we are short 2 props

I just had a look through zerotackle and their are not many quality props off contract at the end of the year

The only 2 "notable" props available are Ryan James and Jordan Mclean.....Both are 30 years of age just like Vaughan, Mclean would probably be a like-for-like signing, while James would be a slight downgrade signing considering he is not a metre eater prop

Hopefully Gus can pull a couple of rabbits out of his ass

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The loss is consistency. Unlike Thompson which is the total opposite especially with the coin he is on.
That's what I meant by " he has been consistent though" Thompson is consistent too but certainly not value for money . . . Nor is Allan nor was Costric

David holland

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score

I just had a look through zerotackle and their are not many quality props off contract at the end of the year

The only 2 "notable" props available are Ryan James and Jordan Mclean.....Both are 30 years of age just like Vaughan, Mclean would probably be a like-for-like signing, while James would be a slight downgrade signing considering he is not a metre eater prop

Like I said don't dismiss Klemmer, deal similar to Vaughan can do a job, plus has the Doggie DNA

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score

Don't know about rabbits but maybe a few hares out of his arse.

berries1935

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure about this. Hopefully the young ones develop quickly..... Thompson isn’t good enough to lead our pack

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

We will probably rely on Tanner, Makatoa and Stuckey, they look like they could maybe make the step up next season. Or Dave is right about Klemmer :tearsofjoy:

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
While I wanted him to stay I'm ok with him leaving as it tells me that we didn't find value in keeping him.

Tells me that people at the club are trying to make the right calls on contract and player worth and that's a good thing.