Other News Source Cameron Munster

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Why are we no chance of signing Munster? We have the second most powerful man in the game running our club, we are likely to have cash to splash and his manager is an ex Bulldog who still has a soft spot for us. Not to mention the fact the Storm in all likelihood can't afford him and the Dolphins are really struggling to attract big names. So why exactly are we no chance?

I already told you I'm not pretending to have all the answers as to who we should recruit. I'm not even playing that game, because I don't believe you should go and spend big money on a player just because it's there to spend. Things can happen quickly in footy and the player market can change quite suddenly. I think signing a player we don't really need on huge money just because there are no obvious solutions in some of the positions we are thinnest on, is bad business. And if we were going to go for another very expensive forward, I'd much rather Haas, tbh.

Crichton's form hasn't even been great this year. He rips up in teams that are ripping up, but struggles when those around him struggle. He's not a player to build a team around and I don't think we should be spending 800k plus on any player we can't build a team around.

We already have two 800k players in our pack (assuming we offload Thompson before next season, if we can't we have three.) I think that's enough. Look at how Penrith rebuilt themselves. They did it by letting good players go, not stockpiling overpriced forwards. Ask yourself why the Roosters are willing to let Crichton go. Or even why the Panthers are willing to let Kikau and Martin go. Because those clubs understand backrowers are easier to replace than those in key positions.

I'd imagine if Crichton were to come here, he'd be looking for three years or more. I wouldn't want that much money tied up on him for so long.

We aren't turning things around overnight, anyway. So we need to be patient, bide our time and keep money up our sleeve so we can pounce and buy the right players when the opportunity arises. And we need to go all in for Munster, because he is a franchise player and it's defeatist to say never when we have an operator like Gus at the club.
so where are you playing him then??

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Bellamy has just committed to coach the Storm again next year. That stops all the silly talk of coaching the Bulldogs and Munster coming here.

For Munster In order I reckon its;

1. Melbourne with a little more coin
2. Roosters with even more coin and Smith
3. Dolphins on a blank cheque
16. Us if all other 15 teams run out of money or get done for salary cap breaches..

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has this mug signed with us yet or what?

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
As soon as Anasta denied I just had a feeling he’s bullshitting lol
Watch it happen and they’ll probably get Haas too
So in other words, Anasta is just as guilty as Gus is… what he says publicly and what he says privately are two different things yet he has the nerve to pull Gus up on it on 360! Stinks of rotten hypocrisy to me.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
This is why Anasta. shit canning us so heavily at the moment influences Munster his only real client.
The point where Braith was very quick to defend that our rebuild wouldn’t actually take too long and repeatedly emphasising the club has money, resources etc tells me it’s not out of the realm of possibility

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Late 2020..... Where have you been? Baz called a press conference and everything!
Why would baz call a press conference for another team? We didn’t then and we still don’t have a quality 7 for the dogs….

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yep if we go all in we're going to pay massive $$ and overs in theory to match Benny and the Pilchards, then we have to wait an extra 12 months to reap the benefits.
Even saw Gus quoted mentioning the cap in the Naden thread, htf could we realistically afford this guy..

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Yep if we go all in we're going to pay massive $$ and overs in theory to match Benny and the Pilchards, then we have to wait an extra 12 months to reap the benefits.
Even saw Gus quoted mentioning the cap in the Naden thread, htf could we realistically afford this guy..
It would be 2024. We have 6-7 players contracted then. Everyone is off over the next 18 months except tpj, kikau, Mahoney, Jac, Sutton, alomiti and schooup I think?

Still don’t see it. Dolphins or storm I’d say.

Last edited:

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why are we no chance of signing Munster? We have the second most powerful man in the game running our club, we are likely to have cash to splash and his manager is an ex Bulldog who still has a soft spot for us. Not to mention the fact the Storm in all likelihood can't afford him and the Dolphins are really struggling to attract big names. So why exactly are we no chance?

I already told you I'm not pretending to have all the answers as to who we should recruit. I'm not even playing that game, because I don't believe you should go and spend big money on a player just because it's there to spend. Things can happen quickly in footy and the player market can change quite suddenly. I think signing a player we don't really need on huge money just because there are no obvious solutions in some of the positions we are thinnest on, is bad business. And if we were going to go for another very expensive forward, I'd much rather Haas, tbh.

Crichton's form hasn't even been great this year. He rips up in teams that are ripping up, but struggles when those around him struggle. He's not a player to build a team around and I don't think we should be spending 800k plus on any player we can't build a team around.

We already have two 800k players in our pack (assuming we offload Thompson before next season, if we can't we have three.) I think that's enough. Look at how Penrith rebuilt themselves. They did it by letting good players go, not stockpiling overpriced forwards. Ask yourself why the Roosters are willing to let Crichton go. Or even why the Panthers are willing to let Kikau and Martin go. Because those clubs understand backrowers are easier to replace than those in key positions.

I'd imagine if Crichton were to come here, he'd be looking for three years or more. I wouldn't want that much money tied up on him for so long.

We aren't turning things around overnight, anyway. So we need to be patient, bide our time and keep money up our sleeve so we can pounce and buy the right players when the opportunity arises. And we need to go all in for Munster, because he is a franchise player and it's defeatist to say never when we have an operator like Gus at the club.
great post. 100% agree. fuck crichton

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I think we'd be silly to not make him one of the highest paid players in the game, ~1.3m. Maybe some people will think that figure is too high but with the Dolphins and Storm that's what I think it'll take.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I think we'd be silly to not make him one of the highest paid players in the game, ~1.3m. Maybe some people will think that figure is too high but with the Dolphins and Storm that's what I think it'll take.
My understanding is Melbourne offered him ~$700k and said take it or leave it as that's all they can afford. Surely Bellamy will stop coaching at the end of 2023 coincidentally when Munster's contract runs out, so that attraction is gone. Plus he's not getting any TPA's with his record, no company wants to be directly associated with him. Dolphins is really his only chance of getting the $big. His talcum powder buddy (that's what it was, wasn't it :tonguewink: ) BSmith is moving to the Chooks but they won't be able to pay him $big either. I always thought he would go back to his local area with the Cowboys but Townsend and Deardon are there already.

My view is it's the Dolphins only, they need a marquee player desperately and they have the dollar$, the big issue for them is he's contracted next year. So they really need him to agitate and get them to release him, he is on a final warning so it won't take much. But he is on $1m there for next season, so the Dolphins will have to make it worth his while. Interesting times.

Always a Bulldog

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
My understanding is Melbourne offered him ~$700k and said take it or leave it as that's all they can afford. Surely Bellamy will stop coaching at the end of 2023 coincidentally when Munster's contract runs out, so that attraction is gone. Plus he's not getting any TPA's with his record, no company wants to be directly associated with him. Dolphins is really his only chance of getting the $big. His talcum powder buddy (that's what it was, wasn't it :tonguewink: ) BSmith is moving to the Chooks but they won't be able to pay him $big either. I always thought he would go back to his local area with the Cowboys but Townsend and Deardon are there already.

My view is it's the Dolphins only, they need a marquee player desperately and they have the dollar$, the big issue for them is he's contracted next year. So they really need him to agitate and get them to release him, he is on a final warning so it won't take much. But he is on $1m there for next season, so the Dolphins will have to make it worth his while. Interesting times.

Always a Bulldog
Well history says Storm won't release Munster without benefitting and Dolphins have nothing they can offer (and even then Storm in premiership window, nothing you can really give). That means the Dolphins will need multiple players on 1 year contracts for 2023 (they're struggling to sign players, having to offer multiple years) that they can flick when Munster is available (due to having to spend 95% of their salary cap). The Storm upped their offer but it's nowhere near what Dolphins or us can offer. I think us signing Munster is more likely than people think.

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well history says Storm won't release Munster without benefitting and Dolphins have nothing they can offer (and even then Storm in premiership window, nothing you can really give). That means the Dolphins will need multiple players on 1 year contracts for 2023 (they're struggling to sign players, having to offer multiple years) that they can flick when Munster is available (due to having to spend 95% of their salary cap). The Storm upped their offer but it's nowhere near what Dolphins or us can offer. I think us signing Munster is more likely than people think.
but they need forwards and we have thompson. Straight swap with us paying the extra on munnys contract?