News First Casualty of Barrett Resignation

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This is great news. Hethrington has more minuses than pluses. He was all aggression but he rarely troubled the opposition defense, not a rock solid defender and didn't run great lines to make up for his other deficiencies. Not worth 500k.

Naden was a bad signing and glad he's leaving. We need more intelligent outside backs.

Ferris is possibly the worst trainer in bulldogs history. The players fitness is a reflection of his ability.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Hetherington goneeeee
I'd keep him if he was on a modest deal... Braith is right that he has that Bulldog effort / DNA in him if he stays on the field. However cap space and balance moving forward would be one of the main reasons he is being moved imo.

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The reporting is ludicrous

jmk- won’t be in grade next year

naden - quit ? You realise a club has to let you out of your contract. Will believe that Naden quit but not Barrett

hethrington- the final year of the contract is in the dogs favour so if they wanted him he would stay.

dufty- there is a reason he was only offered a 1 year deal, he didn’t leave us

Vaughn- I for one would keep him but again the club only offered him a year.

Then Riccio says on 360 that Villiami wanted to come to play for Baz and doubts he will come. Kikau has already come out and said he has no regrets and has spoken to Gus but not Baz.

And let’s not forget all of these signings were Trent’s and if I’m not mistaken all were before Gus got there ?
Gus was the one who bought Kikau from Cowboys down to Panthers. Gus would be more of a draw card for him to come here then Barrett. Mahoney and Kikau’s managers contacted dogs today and said there coming next season, Barrett leaving doesn’t change that.

I find it funny that Hetherington and Naden want to play under Barrett? Why not follow him into unemployment then? Naden sure looked like he was playing for Barrett the last few weeks. Gus is and will continue to be a major draw card for players wanting to sign with us.

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
Especially if his dad is coach, who would have to be the most likely candidate.
I'm not saying he wouldn't blast him at training/video sessions, but naturally he'd think he'll be able to get the best out of him.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hetho at 500k is to much. Not upset if he doesn’t take it up.
He hasn't been good value last year, but this year I felt he was getting to the 500k level.
Id like to see him stay, as I don't see any player with his attributes (kikau the exception)

Reactions: ATT

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
It just proves what we already know.
Some of the players are NOT Bulldogs.

Anasta was talking about Bulldogs DNA on his show. Names like Folkes, Mortimer, Billy Johnstone came up. Very inspiring - he meant it.
The Dogs of War mentality and how Johnstone would ‘break you’.
If you don’t want to bleed blue & white, fuck off.
How good was James Graham talking about us. Fuck I absolutely love that bloke, deadset champion who we never should have moved on.

The Raven

Waterboy
Reaction score
Get ready for the 5 year plan that begins at the end of this year .

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd prefer Ciraldo, Woolf or the recently mentioned Mick Potter than Flanno as coach. Green is a big NO.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
He hasn't been good value last year, but this year I felt he was getting to the 500k level.
Id like to see him stay, as I don't see any player with his attributes (kikau the exception)
I don’t mind him mate but more a 300-400k player so far.

We didn’t get to see enough. He has to show more for me to be that kind of $. While he can run with ball in hand he has errors; penalty’s and suspicious defence.

justdogs

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Brent Naden has quit the club in protest following Canterbury’s decision to part ways with former coach Trent Barrett.

The bloodshed has continued at Belmore with two players and one of Barrett’s closest allies about to exit the club.

Trumpeted recruit Naden has lasted just eight games as a Bulldog with the ex-Panther linking up with the Tigers immediately and will line-up against his former side on Friday night.

He may not be the last player to exit the club.

Hard-hitting forward Jack Hetherington is also likely to become another casualty of Barrett’s departure.

High performance manager Dan Ferris became the first major victim in the Bulldog’s football department cleanout.

Former All Blacks coach Steve Hansen, who is a consultant for the Bulldogs, could be the next to sever ties with the club after taking aim at the way the Barrett exit was handled.

Like Naden, Hetherington’s overriding lure to join the Bulldogs was to play under Barrett.

But now the coach is gone, Hetherington’s hopes of being retained have diminished.

The 25-year-old worked with Barrett in 2020 at Penrith and it was their strong relationship that led to his arrival at Belmore in 2021.

Physical and renowned for pushing the envelope, it was Barrett who pledged to keep Hetherington focused on the football field.

However, the nephew of Raiders legend Brett Mullins has been told he can leave the club at the end of this season with the club unwilling to take up an option in his $500,000 contract.

Recovering in positive fashion from a serious shoulder injury suffered round three, Hetherington has already attracted interest from the Knights and Dolphins.

While Hetherington faces an uncertain future, Naden wasted little time in sorting out his after he inked a deal with the Tigers until the end of next season. The paperwork was only finalised just before the 4pm deadline the club’s have in order to submit their teams for this week’s matches.

He was named in the Tigers extended squad on Tuesday afternoon and is in line to play the Bulldogs on Friday.

Naden, who is close friends with Tigers fullback Daine Laurie, is expected to train with the squad for the first time on Wednesday after his new side had Tuesday off.

The Tigers tried to land Naden last season but he opted to join Canterbury largely based on his relationship with Barrett. His name had been mentioned as a possible mid-season recruit in recent weeks but the move only took shape on Tuesday.

Tigers coach Michael Maguire said Naden’s arrival was exciting for the club.

“Brent is a quality player and will be a welcome addition to the group of players we already have at the club,” Maguire said.

A mass of players including Tevita Pangai Jnr, Jeremy Marshall-King, Joe Stimson, Matt Dufty and Paul Vaughan may be nearing exits from the club.

Ferris met with Bulldogs general manager Phil Gould to discuss his own future following Barrett’s resignation. It is understood the duo agreed it would be in the best interests of the Bulldogs for Ferris to leave the club.

Barrett recruited Ferris to join him at Belmore after the two worked together at the Manly Sea Eagles between 2016 - 2018.

Like Barrett, Ferris left the northern beaches club in 2018 and went on to join the Gold Coast Titans.

The close friends linked up again at Canterbury when Barrett hired the veteran trainer last year to lead the high performance unit.

Ferris has come under fire in recent weeks from former Bulldogs premiership winner Braith Anasta and club great Michael Ennis.

The duo have criticised the Bulldogs’ lack of fitness this season, citing it as one of the reasons the side is struggling in 2022.

Anasta said the Bulldogs had lost the steel and grittiness gained under iconic Canterbury trainer Garry Carden, who was punted from the club in 2020 after 37 years of service.

“We had Billy Johnson and Garry Carden flogged the ‘you know what’ out of us… they built that character, that Bulldogs trait, that Dogs of War. You were so proud to be a Bulldog, you wouldn’t let your mate next to you down. That’s gone, the DNA is gone.” Anasta said.

“When you’re a Bulldogs player and you have stepped into Belmore, you knew what the expectations of you were as a player on the field and off the field… tough, resilient, they wanted to break you.

“The second you got in there you were broken and if you didn’t turn up the next day that’s a good thing because you weren’t a Bulldog.

“The last five minutes of your game were as strong as your first minutes, in every game that we played back in that era. We followed off the backs of Kevin Moore, and (Steve) Folksy, and Terry Lamb.”
we clean up and the press doesn't like it

Mackdoggies

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I’ll say this
Naden’s departure was all Gus
Don’t be surprised if Thompson and TPJ follow

They’ll move heaven and earth to keep Burton
TPJ isn’t going anywhere. Gus was involved in him signing. Not a Baz mistake that one. It was right when Gus signed and that sealed the deal for TPJ.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The media circus around this is nauseating. Yes we are in crisis, we need to go through a process of finding the right coach who can handle a crisis and turn things around.

I am happy that fraud coach is out along with his side kick Ned Kelly. The clean out needs to go on and so does the process of scouting the next coach.

Mackdoggies

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Tim Sheens has already been quoted as confirming it had nothing to do with Barrett, he was signed last week to play centre as he was having a sook there was no Centre position available with us.
Anyone can see he played like shit for last two weeks because he had already checked out. But hey that doesn’t sell papers.

Haslerhasworms

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Lol @ centre money. The max Naden would be on would be $300k. Go see what Joey Manu is earning if you want to see what “centre money” is
Manu would be on the same according to the roosters. None of their players earn over 300k a year otherwise they'd be over the cap wouldn't they...

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Lol..me too, he just sat back for 6 months analyzing all the shit and planning out what to do…he’s now going in for the kill
Yep I think a lot players signed their own death warrant’s with their performances in the last month, I knew something was doing when Gus was sitting in the box while TBag was on the sidelines, all these fucks in the media can crap on about players leaving or being sacked all they want but if Gus want’s them gone that’s good enough for me let the purge continue.