Official Gus on Twitter

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As I have heard Gus talk previously & again today on "6 Tackles" about how important a "Playmakers Academy" is, can someone please tweet Gus & ask him if he has the wheels in motion to create a "Playmakers Academy" at the Bulldogs & if so how far away is it's existence?

Thank you.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Mick Potter until the end of the year would be a better option. Furner and Ferris have to be gone as early as possible with Barrett.
Furner is already around the team, Potter coaching Mounties.

If we are going down that road you would throw in Tangatoa for the role.. Atleast his team is flying.

David holland

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Another option i guess but Baz is in way over his head... Bloke needed a lengthy stint in the SL before taking another head role in the NRL OR
Anthony Seibold reckons there is a guy called Marc Brettnall ( Son of Greg ) at the Melbourne Storm who is their attacking coach.. Best and next cat of the rank. Might be worth a look?
Where got the best attacking coach,

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Can someone ask Gus if we can change from classic clothing next year

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gus on 100% footy was speaking a lot about what a great job Fitzgibbon has done by picking really good quality assistants eg hannay, Steve price etc.

My guess is that might be a sign of movement for our assistants. There is always more to Gus’ comments than the face value words
Yep good point. Assistant coaches get jobs because their clubs are doing well. But one of the reasons their club is doing well is because they are doing a good job as an assistant coach.

When they become head coaches they need good assistant coaches. Obviously we don’t have that.

I would like to see us hire a young assistant coach keen for a crack. Our assistants look like they are just there for the pay cheque. We have Gus for Baz to bounce ideas off. A young assistant coach not long retired would be ideal especially given how much the game has changed in recent years.

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Baz is just riding the wave of success that is the panthers and it's really showing that he has no single idea of what to do with the playing group.

My concern with Gus is nothing will change with the coaching group because he ran off his mouth and made a stupid comment, he will not eat his words anytime soon.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
Furner is already around the team, Potter coaching Mounties.

If we are going down that road you would throw in Tangatoa for the role.. Atleast his team is flying.
I'd hate Furner to coach us. Fun fact. He is the ONLY coach the Raiders have sacked. All the rest have either retired or left to coach someone else.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'd hate Furner to coach us. Fun fact. He is the ONLY coach the Raiders have sacked. All the rest have either retired or left to coach someone else.
I'd hate anyone from the current staff to coach us but their isnt much of a list to choose from at the club as an interim for the year...

You would also need the guy to take the job on too...

BankstownBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
And what happens when that fails? I'd prefer a coach that is more adaptable in my opinion...
And what happens if the new coach fails?

If you get in a new coach then he has to be afforded time to build his own side.
How long are we going to give him?
Maybe his recruits and style don’t work out again.
Then what?
New coach again?

This is my biggest fear with the Dogs at the moment.
We are in a perpetual rebuild year after year.

Although I am not saying I am happy with how the Dogs have been going, how could you be?
I am starting to think that The biggest thing we need is to stop with the chopping and changing and to remain patient with Baz and Gould.

I am happy with changing the support staff if that is what it takes.

Gould has said right from the start that this is a long process. He is working on the junior pathways setup so that we hopefully see talented juniors make the step up to first grade and we find ourselves in a situation where we have a side worth more than the $10m salary cap.
We still haven’t got that part right. We are not getting the value out of the contracts we hold with players across the top 30 squad.

That’s what it’s all about and what would really change our fortunes.
The players.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
And what happens if the new coach fails?

If you get in a new coach then he has to be afforded time to build his own side.
How long are we going to give him?
Maybe his recruits and style don’t work out again.
Then what?
New coach again?

This is my biggest fear with the Dogs at the moment.
We are in a perpetual rebuild year after year.

Although I am not saying I am happy with how the Dogs have been going, how could you be?
I am starting to think that The biggest thing we need is to stop with the chopping and changing and to remain patient with Baz and Gould.

I am happy with changing the support staff if that is what it takes.

Gould has said right from the start that this is a long process. He is working on the junior pathways setup so that we hopefully see talented juniors make the step up to first grade and we find ourselves in a situation where we have a side worth more than the $10m salary cap.
We still haven’t got that part right. We are not getting the value out of the contracts we hold with players across the top 30 squad.

That’s what it’s all about and what would really change our fortunes.
The players.
They are all valid concerns but even they dont add up to kepping Trent Barrett.. He must be moved on.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They are all valid concerns but even they dont add up to kepping Trent Barrett.. He must be moved on.
For who ?

Ciraldo - unproven and wouldn’t take job anyway
Flanagan- no way with his son
Green - couldn’t get a better roster than ours firing.

I get the hate for Baz but it’s frustrating when people think a change of coach will change all of our fortunes. Not to mention the financial aspect. We paid out Hasler $1 million, Pay copped a good payout as well. Baz is on decent money so he will have to be paid out only for us to bring in an ordinary replacement.

There is no way he gets moved on until late in the season. If we are a long last then it will probably happen. But anyone thinking it will happen soon is delusional sorry

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
For who ?

Ciraldo - unproven and wouldn’t take job anyway
Flanagan- no way with his son
Green - couldn’t get a better roster than ours firing.

I get the hate for Baz but it’s frustrating when people think a change of coach will change all of our fortunes. Not to mention the financial aspect. We paid out Hasler $1 million, Pay copped a good payout as well. Baz is on decent money so he will have to be paid out only for us to bring in an ordinary replacement.

There is no way he gets moved on until late in the season. If we are a long last then it will probably happen. But anyone thinking it will happen soon is delusional sorry
I have said a few times that it should be someone like Shaun Wane from England with assistants like Jim Dymock/Michael Ennis/James Graham/Willy Mason. Or at the very worst case Shane Flanagan purley becuase he was a succesful coach regardless of the issues and we need success. I dont believe we need a major overhaul of the current roster to start be competitive on a regular basis and with Mahoney and Kikua coming next year even more so.

Any appointment of Flanagan as coach I am sure Gould would be all over as far as where his son fits in and whats expected so I dont see it as a problem that Gould cant handle. Barrett is a handbrake on our rebuild and player development and has to go before any more damage is done.

Roger the alien

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have said a few times that it should be someone like Shaun Wane from England with assistants like Jim Dymock/Michael Ennis/James Graham/Willy Mason. Or at the very worst case Shane Flanagan purley becuase he was a succesful coach regardless of the issues and we need success. I dont believe we need a major overhaul of the current roster to start be competitive on a regular basis and with Mahoney and Kikua coming next year even more so.

Any appointment of Flanagan as coach I am sure Gould would be all over as far as where his son fits in and whats expected so I dont see it as a problem that Gould cant handle. Barrett is a handbrake on our rebuild and player development and has to go before any more damage is done.
I too would go for either Shaun Wane or Kristian Woolf.