News ‘No doubt’: Bulldogs can’t afford to lose to last-placed Knights in Magic Round

kaluah8123

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there anyone else here that kind of hopes we lose so Gould finally spills some blood?
The season is as good as gone, time time start looking for the future and development of young players who we want to retain.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Is there anyone else here that kind of hopes we lose so Gould finally spills some blood?
The season is as good as gone, time time start looking for the future and development of young players who we want to retain.
2 things....

1. You don't have to hope.

2. Looks like we are stuck with the fraud.

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No

top-dog

bulldog 4 life
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Seriously we cant afford to lose any game let alone this one .Why cant this team treat every game like a grand final just maybe we will start to win a few more games .

kaluah8123

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
One would say insanity is repeatedly trying the same thing expecting a different result. A few loses in a row from here is short term pain long term gain if you want to look on the bright side.

2thebone

Waterboy
Reaction score
It’s actually makes me sick watching the dogs. I just don’t get the game plan. I have nothing else to say anymore. I give up!

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Bulldogs have a golden opportunity to return to the winner’s circle when they face the last-placed Knights in Magic Round.

Coach Trent Barrett has stopped short of saying Magic Round will make or break the Bulldogs’ season but admits his struggling side can ill-afford to come home from Brisbane as losers.

Barrett’s men upset the Sydney Roosters in round 8, but the out-of-form Canberra Raiders brought them back to earth last weekend.

The Bulldogs meet the only side below them on the ladder, the Newcastle Knights, on Friday evening in what looms as their best chance to bank a win this month.

Pending other results, the loser of the clash could fall a game behind the pack in 16th place.

“We need to win. There’s no doubt about that,” said Barrett when asked whether the clash would “make or break” the Dogs’ season.

“Newcastle are in a similar situation. There’s four teams down at the wrong end of the table on a similar amount of points, so this weekend is really important for us.

“The result will take care of itself if we can tidy up a few things in our game.

“Our effort and attitude I can’t fault but we’ve got to be better in different areas.”

Handling will likely be high on Barrett’s wishlist for improvements; the Bulldogs made 14 errors against the Raiders, their second-highest tally in a game this season.

Most damningly, a Bulldogs drop ball handed the Raiders the field position they needed to score their second try.

“I was disappointed last week, particularly with our first half. I thought we just turned the ball over too much,” Barrett said.

“We had some good moment in that game, but the errors that we tossed up, really unforced errors, they’re the ones we’ve got to get out of our game.

“We just make it too hard on ourselves at crucial times.”

His side may be languishing at the bottom of the table for a second-straight season, but Barrett insisted he hadn’t lost the appetite to coach at the elite level.

“It’s too hard a job if you don’t enjoy it,” he said.

“I love turning up to work every day. It’s challenging but all us coaches are in the same boat. We’re here for the players, it’s not about us.”

Barrett said the Bulldogs’ fortunes would turn around once they put in an 80-minute performance.

“We’re not far away, we’ve really only had that one blowout score against Melbourne,” he said.

“The rest of the games, we’ve not only been in them, we’ve been in a position where we could have won them. But we’ve got to be better for that full 80 minutes.”
Has Baz got anything new to say then we need to win, he says it every week - no shit Baz we know, but what are you doing about it. You keep picking Dufty and Naden, players like this won’t help the issue.

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has Baz got anything new to say then we need to win, he says it every week - no shit Baz we know, but what are you doing about it. You keep picking Dufty and Naden, players like this won’t help the issue.
It’s all good and well to criticise Baz’s selections, but can you tell us who you’d have instead of Dufty and Naden? And please do not pick anyone not in the top 30 squad.

I’m no fan of either player (especially Dufty) but at the moment there really is no other choice

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s all good and well to criticise Baz’s selections, but can you tell us who you’d have instead of Dufty and Naden? And please do not pick anyone not in the top 30 squad.

I’m no fan of either player (especially Dufty) but at the moment there really is no other choice
He needs to mix it up a bit, because those players don’t deserve to stay in first grade at the moment. Give JAC a chance at fullback, that’s what he believes he can do. We are second last on the ladder, I think our situation is ground hog day all over again. Good coaches don’t leave players in when things are not working. Dufty needs a rest, but Naden is terrible at the moment. Even Okunbor is better than Naden.

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He needs to mix it up a bit, because those players don’t deserve to stay in first grade at the moment. Give JAC a chance at fullback, that’s what he believes he can do. We are second last on the ladder, I think our situation is ground hog day all over again. Good coaches don’t leave players in when things are not working. Dufty needs a rest, but Naden is terrible at the moment. Even Okunbor is better than Naden.
Agree something needs to change. But putting JAC on the wing weakens the wing spot where we have been struggling for a long time. Okunbor has lost us games on his own so he really isn’t an option. It’s too risky. In addition, JAC has never played fullback at NRL level so we don’t know how that will work out. The other outside back options Allen, Lumelume, Burns, Kiraz, Alamoti, Toia, Casey are either injured or ineligible to play. We saw Alamoti in the trials against men. He had an unforgettable night. He just needs more time in reserves to adjust without being thrown into the deep end in a struggling team.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Didn't read the shite but we couldn't afford to lose last week and had everything to play for + a whole bunch of factors in our favor yet we didn't turn up at all. Was a fukin disgrace!

Then Dikface picks the same lethargic boring team and expects a different result? Major changes need to occur and Gus needs to do some cleaning because we are not getting better, no-one is inspired and the playing group are fukin kidding themselves.

Bullpit

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unfortunately, it has come down to this for me - a very dejected Dogies supporter who has been supporting our beloved team passionately for the last 44 years! At times, you have to be prepared to lose a battle to win the war.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I'll record the crap and look it up afterwards. We win I'll watch it, we lose = delete recording! I'm at this point way earlier this year then last.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Good coaches don't promote players who don't deserve to be promoted.

Okunbor is not better than Naden.

Always a Bulldog

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll naturally be cheering for us to win but once it looks like the game is gone, once the Knights have scored 17 points, I wouldn't be upset if the Knights put 50 on us. The season's gone so who gives a shit because if we lose to the Knights the spoon is ours anyway

Losing by 6 points can be explained away (the usual excuses that Baz uses in his press conferences) but getting pumped by the wooden spooners is hopefully the kiss of death for Baz

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I'll naturally be cheering for us to win but once it looks like the game is gone, once the Knights have scored 17 points, I wouldn't be upset if the Knights put 50 on us. The season's gone so who gives a shit because if we lose to the Knights the spoon is ours anyway

Losing by 6 points can be explained away (the usual excuses that Baz uses in his press conferences) but getting pumped by the wooden spooners is hopefully the kiss of death for Baz
I'm kind of like that. If we are in the game I want us to win. Once they put a try or 2 on us I know we lost then might as well smash us if it means getting rid of the cancer.