News Josh Jackson’s career at crossroads as Phil Gould eyes Bulldogs overhaul

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
This is the problem...Loyalty means nothing these days :rage:
In my opinion, any player surpass 10 years service at one club should totally be exempted from the salary cap.
Imagine how many older players running around in the team we'd have then lol

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Just because a player makes 50 tackles does not mean they are any good, Jackson should have played in the 70s era. As for the word loyalty, does 2004 ring a bell, that was our last premiership.

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I admire Jacko and thank him for his service to the club but even these old eyes can see that his best days are gone.

His defence is still good but even that is starting to wane and in attack he just gets in the way.

Maybe a polite exit would be the way to go ...... his last contracted year is 2023
I don't disagree - but him being in the way in attack is on the coaches. That's the role they have him playing.

When he runs he still provides some punch around the ruck and provides a quick play the ball

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
here is the problem we all wanted him to be this tackling machine at 13 because he wasn’t cutting it as a wide running back rower anymore the problem now is he touches the ball more then ever and stifles out attack.
So whether he is playing at 13 or 12 he is not upto it in first grade.

this has nothing to do with barett he has been going downhill for a few years now.
Here is the solution...
We play him off the bench when the game slows down, he then can be effective and his experience could be an asset...
Unless of he wants a long term contract and can get it in the UK.
He shouldn't be pushed !!!

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah, then imagine what the Roosters side will look like in 11 years time
I actually don't believe and trust in the salary cap alone
Transfer fees and draft systems must be included to make it somewhat a fairer system !!!

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
time for josh jackson to call time on his career, the game has changed he has not kept up with it or adapted to the changes

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
A club is only obliged to honour their contracts...
If a player warrants keeping so be it !!!

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Not sure what Pay has got to do with it. You may recall he was sacked by the club.
you said Barrett is using him incorrectly but he wasn’t playing well with the previous coach either and he wasn’t playing lock back then.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Here is the solution...
We play him off the bench when the game slows down, he then can be effective and his experience could be an asset...
Unless of he wants a long term contract and can get it in the UK.
He shouldn't be pushed !!!
Does the game really slow down with all the interchanges?

usually when Bench players come on the opposition have fresh player on also

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It looks like reality is starting to sink in. Barret cops all the blame, but it's obvious that the players don't have a lot to offer.
Take out the top 3 or 4 and you have a reserve grade team.
Changing the rules of the game has stuffed up rugby league...
Now it touch football just a little harder :rage:

Mackdoggies

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I’m undecided on this subject but the one question I keep coming back to is this:

What does Jackson do that Max King doesn’t do better?

King would be on a third of Jackson’s wage and is only young and getting better.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Does the game really slow down with all the interchanges?

usually when Bench players come on the opposition have fresh player on also
Definitely slows down...
Remember its maximum 13 on the field, and so few replacements allowed, take into consideration the 10 meters rule and the speed of the game...Everyone gets fatigued !!!

Aristidiz

Bullwog
Reaction score
Josh Jackson is now being attacked by Buzz because Buzz has NFI about our club.

If Jackson was in Liam Martin's role at Penrith nobody would be calling for his head. He is a top performer in this squad and is being used by dipshit Barrett in the completely wrong way.

Demoting Jackson will only send us further backwards, yes he is overpaid but he is not a shit player, look at his stats and the qualities he brings to this side.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Definitely slows down...
Remember its maximum 13 on the field, and so few replacements allowed, take into consideration the 10 meters rule and the speed of the game...Everyone gets fatigued !!!
Yeah true I can maybe live with Jackson on the bench. He can’t be in the starting 13 anymore though and we need that hooker Marshall king dropped altogether

Mitchellmoses

Banned
Reaction score
I actually don't believe and trust in the salary cap alone
Transfer fees and draft systems must be included to make it somewhat a fairer system !!!
Draft would not work in rugby league. I know it is in other sports but it’s impossible in the NRL when given critical thought.

the_insider

Kennel Established
Reaction score

If Jackson was in Liam Martin's role at Penrith nobody would be calling for his head. He is a top performer in this squad and is being used by dipshit Barrett in the completely wrong way.

Demoting Jackson will only send us further backwards, yes he is overpaid but he is not a shit player, look at his stats and the qualities he brings to this side.
we tried Jackson on an edge and he wasn't good, Liam Martin is what Jackson was 6 years ago, they're not even remotely close to the same player now

Roger the alien

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jackson is nothing more than your average squad player now, a guy that plays off the bench for 30 minutes and is asked to do nothing but tackle and run straight while he fills the gap for the starters to take a break, this is something that can be done by rookies on minimum wage.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Agree re his role. Don’t know what Baz is thinking.

Wouldn’t pay too much attention to the article though. Not sure how Buzz would know what Gus is thinking when Gus hates him and hasn’t talked to him for 3 years.

I listen to the DT podcast and this was bought up 2 weeks ago. There was no mail, just the telegraph journalists thinking Jacko was past it . No quotes, no source, no substance , just opinion

OldDogFan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He played fucking centre for the best team in the comp, not in the halves. Giving him an upgrade is absolutely ridiculous until he actually starts doing something for us.
You mean he was forced into centres (a position which is not natural to him) and he killed it. We need to hold on to him because he will eventually be the best ⅝ in the comp.

the_insider

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Jackson is nothing more than your average squad player now, a guy that plays off the bench for 30 minutes and is asked to do nothing but tackle and run straight while he fills the gap for the starters to take a break, this is something that can be done by rookies on minimum wage.
yep I said this a few weeks back, the role people are suggesting for him is the role I'd use for a rookie who I'm trying to ease into the top grade