Could This Be Our Halfback For 2024 & Beyond?

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
With Kyle Flanagan off contract at the end of 2023, it has now emerged that Mitchell Moses has a player option in his contract for the final year of his contract - 2024.

According to this report, he is free to negotiate from this November.

With a current club combination along side Reed Mahoney, you'd think there might be some merit in our pursuit of his services as he seems to be improving with age.

He is a Right side dominant Half-Back & could compliment Burton on the left.

Also kicks goals at a high percentage.

It could be in the big plan.

Last edited:

CAPZ

Waterboy
Reaction score
I think we need a solid plan and make some hard decisions including but not limited to the following;
Look at all the options for new players
Buy a big marquee player
Keep cutting dead wood like jmk
Drop barrett, sign shane flanagan
Put more energy into our youth system to focus on the future
Start playing our young players now as we have nothing to lose like alamoti and schoupp
Stop playing josh jackson, burns and waddell they let us down

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The only time he would entertain leaving Para is if:

- He turns to shit and they don't want him.
- Chasing a massive payday once turning to shit

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally given that mahoney is here next year, it might make our halves finally look more polished.
If we had to look beyond next year, a fullback like lantrell would be where I would spend the big money if it was within our means.

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sure Moses is just dying to leave a top 4 team for a club that's won 4 of it's last 30 games.
With all the top class cattle leaving the Eels at the end of this season I'd say their top 4 days are numbered.

When you look at the roster we are building, we are only a couple of great signings away from taking that top 4 spot..... IMO.

A top 4 halfback is the one main ingredient we are missing & having him now on the market for 2024 is a game changer.

I'm sure with the relationship Gus has with Player Managers he has already been aware of his contract status.

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We can't assume anyone coming here will improve anything, this year has proven that.

When we signed Burton, Fox, TPJ people had massive expectation and look how thats worked out. It will be the same for Mahoney and Kiks and anyone we get under the same coached team.

Look how long its taken Para to get were they are too.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
With all the top class cattle leaving the Eels at the end of this season I'd say their top 4 days are numbered.

When you look at the roster we are building, we are only a couple of great signings away from taking that top 4 spot..... IMO.

A top 4 halfback is the one main ingredient we are missing & having him now on the market for 2024 is a game changer.

I'm sure with the relationship Gus has with Player Managers he has already been aware of his contract status.
Part of the reason they didn't re-sign Mahoney, Papalii etc was so that they could lock up Moses, Gutherson and Brown long term.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally given that mahoney is here next year, it might make our halves finally look more polished.
If we had to look beyond next year, a fullback like lantrell would be where I would spend the big money if it was within our means.
Latrell’s days as a fullback are numbered. His injuries over recent times shows his body doesn’t have the miles in it to play fullback. I can see him heading back into the centre’s very soon to prolong his career.

If you are looking at a marquee purchase someone like Munster would be good and move Burton to 13. I don’t think anyone will get close to what the Dolphins will offer him though.

I think a strike centre is the most needed position. With a focus on junior development the answer to the bigger solution.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Ask me at the end of the season when he's available to talk to. By then we should have an idea if Flanagan can be a long term solution too.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
What about BBO, Hayward or Rajab if we're talking 2024? Maybe a year too soon for the Khaled.

Definitely not worth thinking about Moses now.

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We don't need to sign Moses. This is much the problem with our side at the moment.

Everyone wants instant success by chopping and changing lineups and new signings every 5 minutes, when the reality is the most successful sides are those with the most stable rosters.

We made massive signings for 2022, and a few additions for 2023, and we need to give those players time to gel and form combinations, as we don't have the base of players successful clubs already have (we have to grow them).

Even Craig Bellamy, Wayne Bennett and Trent Robinson couldn't get this side firing at the moment.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
If we are in the market for a halfback we have to buy them for 23.

For the last 2 years we have been writing off seasons of football waiting for the Calvary to arrive. Last year it was Fox and Burton this year it’s Mahoney and Kikau. Kicking the can down the road has to stop.

ATT

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think with Mahoney here and hopefully by time Flannigan contract is up one the you halves from ball up start to stand out. Some good judges rate the ball and flegg halves so in two years hopefully one or more is starting to put there hands up

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Part of the reason they didn't re-sign Mahoney, Papalii etc was so that they could lock up Moses, Gutherson and Brown long term.
True, but yet they only locked him up for this year & next - not 2024 & beyond. Done in true Parra fashion.