Opinion Burton a flop?

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Some people on here think Burton is the Messiah, great young talent but no where near close to the top couple of halves at this stage of his career. You only had to see the JT comparisons on here haha.
Hes just like the side overall at the moment, a work in progress

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
More like a work in decline
Not really

Last year we were 0-6, this year 1-6. Not a big improvement, but not a decline
Last year in the first 6 rounds we lost to Storm 52-18 (this year let in 44), and to Penrith 28-0 (this year lost by 20). Again not big improvements but not declines either.

We were also pumped 38-0 to souths last year. This year less pumped, and the margin this year flattered them, the binning costing us 3 tries made the margin bigger than it should have been. Again not a decline.

We also had a harder start this year overall. And we have a lot more new players this year than last year too.

In conclusion this year has been slightly better than last year so far. So it isnt a decline. Yeh i hope it improves a lot more going forward, but calling us in decline is inaccurate.

soc123_au

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Some people on here think Burton is the Messiah, great young talent but no where near close to the top couple of halves at this stage of his career. You only had to see the JT comparisons on here haha.
Yeah, I've gotten a few laughs on here from the time you guys signed him. A lot were saying he was better than Cleary.

He has a lot of talent and a great work ethic. In a team with a dominant 7 for a year or 2 would do him wonders. If you guys still had Foran, him and Burto in halves would be interesting. Both 6's but Foran has been around long enough to make it work.

It's kind of why I laugh at the Kikau signing. Don't get me wrong, I love the bloke, but he aint what you need. He is the sprinkles and chocolate flakes on a nice cake. Same as JAC. But you need a nice cake first. No one wants a plate load of sprinkles.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Yeah, I've gotten a few laughs on here from the time you guys signed him. A lot were saying he was better than Cleary.

He has a lot of talent and a great work ethic. In a team with a dominant 7 for a year or 2 would do him wonders. If you guys still had Foran, him and Burto in halves would be interesting. Both 6's but Foran has been around long enough to make it work.

It's kind of why I laugh at the Kikau signing. Don't get me wrong, I love the bloke, but he aint what you need. He is the sprinkles and chocolate flakes on a nice cake. Same as JAC. But you need a nice cake first. No one wants a plate load of sprinkles.
I dont remember even 1 person saying Burton is better than Cleary. For starters he doesnt even play the same position. And Kikau will be exactly what we need to feed JAC some good ball, activating him.

Also it takes more time to make the cake than apply the sprinkles. If we have patience the cake will be made, and then the sprinkles will make it even better.

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not really

Last year in the first 6 rounds we lost to Storm 52-18 (this year let in 44), and to Penrith 28-0 (this year lost by 20). Again not big improvements but not declines either.

We were also pumped 38-0 to souths last year. This year less pumped, and the margin this year flattered them, the binning costing us 3 tries made the margin bigger than it should have been. Again not a decline.

We also had a harder start this year overall. And we have a lot more new players this year than last year too.

In conclusion this year has been slightly better than last year so far. So it isnt a decline. Yeh i hope it improves a lot more going forward, but calling us in decline is inaccurate.
Souths had two disallowed tries as well. Everyone seems to be taking into consideration our disallowed tries but neglecting souths

soc123_au

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I dont remember even 1 person saying Burton is better than Cleary. For starters he doesnt even play the same position. And Kikau will be exactly what we need to feed JAC some good ball, activating him.

Also it takes more time to make the cake than apply the sprinkles. If we have patience the cake will be made, and then the sprinkles will make it even better.
There was a few saying that when you first signed him. I don't remember the names.

Kikau wont feed JAC anything. That's not what he does. He will create space for that side for sure if used correctly. Your numpty coach will most likely adopt the same game plan Hook used though, just give it to the big guy and pray.

I agree with your second paragraph. It does take time to make the cake. I still think you have reached for the sprinkles to early and have too many. JAC, TPJ, Dufty and Kiks. To be fair, getting the right balance is much easier to say than do. You can only get the whats on the market at the time. Mahoney is a step in the right direction.

OldDogFan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Promised so much

Delivered crap

Everyone else cops flak. He’s been absolute shit and if there was a pivotal moment in the game it was his drop ball that turned momentum to bunnies .

Your halves need to need lead . His options have been absolute crap for a marquee signing

If that was Averillo or Flanagan with his errors they’d be crucified
No one's forcing your arm up your back... there's 15 other teams to follow... oh and the dolphins next year.

Doge

Kennel Established
Reaction score

I’ve seen him called the next immortal, most important signing since Terry Lamb, the next Kangaroos halfback and more. That was before he had played half a dozen games in the halves, some people had unrealistic expectations from the moment we signed him.

Abdul..

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Kikau will drag 3 defenders in. Right now the only player capable of doing this for us is TPJ. That is why we cannot outflank the defense

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

Foran would not work for us, just doesn't have the legs to play the type of half we need. At manly he doesn't need to be the dominant playmaker and when everyone is fit he's basically the 4th playmaker behind DCE, Turbo and Shuster. Manly also have Turbo and Walker at lock doing a lot of work.

The big issue for us is play style, we're just a cheap imitation of you guys without the right players and right combinations and chemistry. It's just never going to work for us. We need to play a more Parramatta, Storm, Sharks, etc style of play. A more power based game, a bit of ball movement between the forwards without the out and out ball playing lock, play off offloads, running focused halves, etc. Things like that suit our squad far more than how we're trying to play now and it would make it a hell of a lot easier for Burton to find his feet in it.

You're right about Kikau, a signing like Papali'i from Parramatta would've been more ideal with his workrate combined with his attacking ability. Kikau does make us more attractive for potential targets though and does being a lot of what we're lacking but the reality is if nothing else changes then he will be the next target our fans go after because his style of play will not go down well if we're still losing and failing to score points.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
@Dognacious I need to make a comment in the player of the year thread, pls give me the power to do so :tearsofjoy:

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not really

FYI number of tries down this year compared to last year due to penalties being reduced and teams not pinning teams down their half by being offside /slow ptb . Not one 50 plus game yet

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

We need a strike backrower we definetly needed a kiks type signing

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Foran would not work for us, just doesn't have the legs to play the type of half we need. At manly he doesn't need to be the dominant playmaker and when everyone is fit he's basically the 4th playmaker behind DCE, Turbo and Shuster. Manly also have Turbo and Walker at lock doing a lot of work.

The big issue for us is play style, we're just a cheap imitation of you guys without the right players and right combinations and chemistry. It's just never going to work for us. We need to play a more Parramatta, Storm, Sharks, etc style of play. A more power based game, a bit of ball movement between the forwards without the out and out ball playing lock, play off offloads, running focused halves, etc. Things like that suit our squad far more than how we're trying to play now and it would make it a hell of a lot easier for Burton to find his feet in it.

You're right about Kikau, a signing like Papali'i from Parramatta would've been more ideal with his workrate combined with his attacking ability. Kikau does make us more attractive for potential targets though and does being a lot of what we're lacking but the reality is if nothing else changes then he will be the next target our fans go after because his style of play will not go down well if we're still losing and failing to score points.
Papali has had 1 good year and 5 games… for 600k plus you might aswell get Kikau who has been good for a few years now as we need a strike back rower

GUSLER

Kennel Established
Reaction score
How can every singe player we sign or bring up form juniors
Flop and not improve System is broken and coach is broken

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
JT early in his career was no messiah either. It took him 2 or 3 years at the Cowboys to really start dominating.

Doge

Kennel Established
Reaction score
JT early in his career was no messiah either. It took him 2 or 3 years at the Cowboys to really start dominating.
Took him another 10 years to win a premiership too