Things are becoming clearer

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whilst it’s clear we don’t have a first grade standard 7 to choose.

We could have Cleary or DCE dropped into our lineup and it wouldn’t make much difference.

What they do on the training field totally baffles me. It’s like they don’t practice attacking in the opposing teams 20m.

They run at least four forward settlers each set. Which are not a threat and not followed by a quick play the ball.

Then when the play makers get a shot everyone is basically flat and walking. There is no fluidity. No players in motion. No speed in anything we do. It’s like watching the local under 12s. Catch, pass and hope.

We have players that offload this year. Why don’t the little quick men anticipate this and be there.

The coaching and general player awareness or lack there of is the major issue. Way up and above our lack of a 7

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Our best bulldog teams of the Past all had forwards who run in pairs and link up with eachother while engaging the defence. Simple but effective yet not used by barrett. Surely between Thompson, vaughn and tpj this could be effective through the middle
Thompson in particular used to score plenty of tries by trailing his fellow book end and using his pace to benefit from offloads. I think that Hetherington would also do well from this given that he's got the pace of a backline player. So I agree with you on this.

We really don't have a lot of our players backing up at all let alone our forwards.

A few musings…

1. Josh Jackson said in the post-match presser yesterday that their attack is suffering in the attacking zone because they’re ‘trying to score off every play instead of building the sets’. I’m sorry, but this is my biggest criticism and Jackson is the worst offender. The Storm, Eels, Panthers, Roosters etc will put play after play on. They will only use a forward hit up ‘settler’ if that forward has the capacity to attract 3-4 defenders and get a quick play the ball. Jackson and others completely fizzle the momentum with Tolmanesque hit ups that are slow, attract only 2 defenders and then allow the defensive line to reset.

2. Looking at the best halves combinations in the comp, there is an organising 7 and a running 6. DCE organises and does most of the kicking. Foran runs and engages the line. Cleary and Luai, same. Hughes and Munster, same. Moses and Brown, same. Reynolds and Walker (2021), same. Burton is a running 6 and should be left to play his natural game, only being relied to put in attacking kicks, not clearing kicks. Halfway onwards and that’s it. Wakeham, Averillo, BBO - they’re all running 6’s with little to no ability to organise. With this in mind, and with the knowledge that Flanagan is average at best, his game is best suited to supporting Burton. Hell at this stage I would even take Brooks over those above.
On 1. Jacko is right. By all means we have to use the ball in attacking positions. But we're looking like we're just throwing it around aimlessly. We have to be practicing the support play as nauseum at training for it to just work flawlessly during games. Right now it looks a bit like they've been training separately. Partly expected with a team with so many changes. But it should be something we need to work harder on at training.

On the second point. In moderately recent times, one of our best halves pairings were both running halves with limited kicking games. We went a long way with Reynolds and Keating. But at that time we had handfuls of support players sweating on offloads. Now that we've once again got a few players that are skilled with generating second phase play, we should have those handfuls of support players getting active again.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Just posted in the Matt Burton thread my thoughts on some of the mental suggestions about what we should do. Dufty to 6 , JAC to 1 Burton to 7 and even the crazy idea of releasing Barrett and putting Furner in charge…

Barrett is the problem and this is a Gus issue. I look forward to seeing how he deals with it.
Dufty cant tackle in the front line

Bulldogz82

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thompson in particular used to score plenty of tries by trailing his fellow book end and using his pace to benefit from offloads. I think that Hetherington would also do well from this given that he's got the pace of a backline player. So I agree with you on this.

We really don't have a lot of our players backing up at all let alone our forwards.

On 1. Jacko is right. By all means we have to use the ball in attacking positions. But we're looking like we're just throwing it around aimlessly. We have to be practicing the support play as nauseum at training for it to just work flawlessly during games. Right now it looks a bit like they've been training separately. Partly expected with a team with so many changes. But it should be something we need to work harder on at training.

On the second point. In moderately recent times, one of our best halves pairings were both running halves with limited kicking games. We went a long way with Reynolds and Keating. But at that time we had handfuls of support players sweating on offloads. Now that we've once again got a few players that are skilled with generating second phase play, we should have those handfuls of support players getting active again.
Support play is shocking. It's literally one out with a useless offload that leads to nothing

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What worries me is with Barrett as our coach and the combination of outside news whiles watching our new recruits old teams kill it that they are secretly regretting signing here . I’m pretty over this shit like it’s not hard, tell the **** he’s got til round 10.. I’m not convinced .. I still had no idea why they signed Barrett .. Flanagan , or holbrook, or Anthony griffin were all available I think even Cleary around the same time as pay but we go with Barrett

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

We could have Cleary or DCE dropped into our lineup and it wouldn’t make much difference.

What they do on the training field totally baffles me. It’s like they don’t practice attacking in the opposing teams 20m.

They run at least four forward settlers each set. Which are not a threat and not followed by a quick play the ball.

Then when the play makers get a shot everyone is basically flat and walking. There is no fluidity. No players in motion. No speed in anything we do. It’s like watching the local under 12s. Catch, pass and hope.

We have players that offload this year. Why don’t the little quick men anticipate this and be there.

The coaching and general player awareness or lack there of is the major issue. Way up and above our lack of a 7
Best post on the core issue of the team. Bravo.
This post should be sent to the club, or better still, the media. Things happen once they get to the media.

repolski

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If the issue of mental health is such a big thing these days and something to be taken very seriously, then why is Barrett still in charge. He should be shown the door, feature on a 60 minutes exposé and the mere mention of his surname should ring in our ears like the filthiest swear word.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
?? I was quoting the absolutely mental suggestions of others. Who cares if he can’t tackle, he is not a 6 anyway..
How is putting Burton at 7 a crazy suggestion when the alternative is inferior players like Averillo, Wakeham, Flanagan etc playing that role and dominating the touches?

Burton played on both sides at Penrith. Everyone thought Nico Hynes and Jahrome Hughes couldn't play halfback but certain teams use their halfbacks like those two in less traditional ways and they're still effective. Why can't we do the same with Burton? Would you rather him all over the field getting more touches or do you want him stationed on the left waiting for three passes from JMK, Jackson and Wakeham first before the defence all slide over to Burton and smash him before he gets a chance to do anything?

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
It's not just individual players. It's the team as a whole, with 1 or 2 exceptions each week. (Dufty every week) we are not a team in motion. We stand in a bunch, we stand around scratching our heads, we are totally lost for a vast majority of the game. Watch the fluid motion and readiness of the Storm. Fucking poetry in motion. Baz should be coaching this into the Dogs, not hop, skip and a little jig. FFS, I could coach better than this shit.
Hop skip and a little jig then turn around and throw it back as the other team has been coached to look out for this and hit the arms down as they do this lazy throw and then the ball goes to ground or hits a player in the knee and usually the opposition get it back

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

This cmp this.

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score

We train and might I add are the best in the comp
to pat each other’s bums when we make a mistake . That’s what those membership dollars go towards the old don’t worry cobber that you bombed the try that could have won the game pat* pat* pat* next time next time.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Adding our Reynolds/Hokko once upon a time duo worked similarly which brought us some good success…

Apart from solid coaching, we lack footy IQ and leadership. JAC is doing most of the talking, we’re is the spine barking orders?? They would be the most speechless spine in the comp.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Adding our Reynolds/Hokko once upon a time duo worked similarly which brought us some good success…

Apart from solid coaching, we lack footy IQ and leadership. JAC is doing most of the talking, we’re is the spine barking orders?? They would be the most speechless spine in the comp.
Indeed.
I laugh at how some people think we are "not far off" from being a contender or a top 8 team.

There are so many facets of our game that is below the top 8 teams let alone the top 4.

It pains me to say this, but I wish we were like Parra. I feel they have been on tge correct path for afew years now and tremendously unlucky to not be in a GF. This year looks to maybe be different for them as guys like Moses have gone to another level and I reckon he can guide them to a premiership unless injuries screw them over in the back end.

Its a long road back for us I'm afraid, and I'm not even sure the guys we have playing now will be part of our next premiership window.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
How is putting Burton at 7 a crazy suggestion when the alternative is inferior players like Averillo, Wakeham, Flanagan etc playing that role and dominating the touches?

Burton played on both sides at Penrith. Everyone thought Nico Hynes and Jahrome Hughes couldn't play halfback but certain teams use their halfbacks like those two in less traditional ways and they're still effective. Why can't we do the same with Burton? Would you rather him all over the field getting more touches or do you want him stationed on the left waiting for three passes from JMK, Jackson and Wakeham first before the defence all slide over to Burton and smash him before he gets a chance to do anything?
I was more refereing to the fact that the Kennel had lost its mind becuase of the Storm result, and the number of suggested major chances seems crazy to me. I have no doubt that Burton could slot into the 7 role but it will still be an issue of who is outside him, also I think it will restrict his natural running game if he feels he needs to organize more. But shit like Dufty to 6 and JAC to Fullback are just dumb and panicky.

Now before Marley goes off on a tangent again about players postions not really being positions anymore and a 7 is not really a 7 etc etc, I think (and so did he) that the biggest mistake made was destroying the trust trying to be built with the backline after just 2 games.

Bellamy, Bennett and Robinson have one very common trait that is huge in being a good coach, they are excellent man managers. They dont have to be there mate or blow smoke up their players asrses, but they have genuine intereset in thier footy lives and out of footy lives.

Yet all 3 of them can rip a player anew one if required or pump his tyres if its needed. Any trust the team was building off thier committed defence in the first 2 rounds was ripped to pieces by Panic boy removing Averillo and starting fresh with Wakeham. Massive chopping and changing is not the answer.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Things are becoming clearer as the ice gets thinner.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Things are clear we are finished, done out here. Parra are going for a premiership tilt and Tbaz has us in the cellar again. Joke club run by clowns being run into the ground.

Shnissss

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Things are becoming clearer. We’ve played only 4 games and used 2 different halfbacks. No need to say anymore

grunta

= dOgGyStYlE =
Reaction score
Cleary average kick metres - 506.7
Cleary average run metres - 66
Luai average kick metres - 95
Luai average run metres - 56

DCE average kick metres - 293
DCE average run metres - 66
Foran average kick metres - 44
Foran average run metres - 90

M Moses average run metres - 67
M Moses average kick metres - 408.4
D Brown average run metres - 138
D Brown average kick metres - 42

Of the three examples you got 'LOL vibes' from, there is a clear organiser/kicker and a fairly clear 2IC organiser/runner.
Well said brother! Awesome investigating and stats

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Every time Baz has coached it’s been excuse after excuse… last year it was the cattle and they were young. This year he has the cattle but it’s the 7 and 9…. You had all off-season to sign a 7 or 9 that’s better then what we currently have. But no you didn’t. (Baz) the guy is just not built to be a grade coach he should do everyone a favour and quit before shit gets worse. Everyone I know who said give him a chance have finally seen what I have been since last year