Opinion It's in front of us and we cannot see it

Cartel

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
We have been crying for a complete spine for the last decade and it's right infront of us and Trent Barrett!!!!

It's insane that Kyle Flanagan has been given the flick considering he is the most talented halfback at the club.....The kid has had all the confidence knocked out of him, thanks to Barrett's orthodox ways....

Anyways we have the best young 5/8 in the game in Matt Burton along with the best hooker in the game Reed Mahoney coming in 2023....

Currently out spine is more than serviceable with Dufty, Burton, JMK and what should be Flanagan at HB....

Trent is wasting his time with Averillo at 7, and is not building to the future with what he has in his disposal.....Trent actually has a straight flush at his disposal, while in a couple of years he will have the royal flush if he is aware of it....

This season it has to be Dufty, Burton, Flanagan and JMK.....

Next season we get Reed Mahoney who goes straight into #9 pushing JMK #14.... that leaves us with Dufty, Burton, Flanagan & Mahoney

We have a HB in Flegg by the name of Bailey Hayward who will eventually be the NSW and Australian HB in due course

Creedence Toia will also be our long term FB and come season 2024, at our disposal, we will have the Royal Flush with;
1. Toia
6. Burton (c)
7. Hayward
9. Mahoney

For now, Barrett needs to snap the fuck out of it, and play Flanagan at HB while Gus takes control with the development of Creedence Toia and Bailey Hayward

Craystar

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Bailey Hayward is an absolute dime of a talent!

Hopefully he kicks on

I agree with your post, but it aint gonna happen!

Trent is fucked in the head and has totally wiped Flanagan out, and the worst of it is that he wont give the second best HB in Wakeham a crack at the #7 jersey

Kennelnator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As long as Trent doesn't take Hayward under his wings and labels him as the next Nathan Cleary, than demotes him to Cup after a handful of first grade games

Actually i cannot see Trent coaching the Dogs in 2024 so my opinion is invalid

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
We have been crying for a complete spine for the last decade and it's right infront of us and Trent Barrett!!!!

It's insane that Kyle Flanagan has been given the flick considering he is the most talented halfback at the club.....The kid has had all the confidence knocked out of him, thanks to Barrett's orthodox ways....

Anyways we have the best young 5/8 in the game in Matt Burton along with the best hooker in the game Reed Mahoney coming in 2023....

Currently out spine is more than serviceable with Dufty, Burton, JMK and what should be Flanagan at HB....

Trent is wasting his time with Averillo at 7, and is not building to the future with what he has in his disposal.....Trent actually has a straight flush at his disposal, while in a couple of years he will have the royal flush if he is aware of it....

Next season we get Reed Mahoney who goes straight into #9 pushing JMK #14.... that leaves us with Dufty, Burton, Flanagan & Mahoney

We have a HB in Flegg by the name of Bailey Hayward who will eventually be the NSW and Australian HB in due course

Creedence Toia will also be our long term FB and come season 2024, at our disposal, we will have the Royal Flush with;
1. Toia
6. Burton (c)
7. Hayward
9. Mahoney

For now, Barrett needs to snap the fuck out of it, and play Flanagan at HB while Gus takes control with the development of Creedence Toia and Bailey Hayward
Everyone is entiltled to their opinion - have you watched much of Flanagan and Toia in NSW Cup? Toia is elusive and a bit of speed in space - yet to see Flanagan do much apart from take a few steps pass and point

Baily Howard has looked good in Flegg this year and last year - also have Rajab and the two halves in SGBall - Iverson Matai and Joseph Oneill - Matai was very good last year but relatively quiet in games this year in which Oneill has been the dominant half - Matai still has another year in SGBALL

kap123

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Your wraps on Flanno are silly but definitely agree that I think Hayward will get his shot next year. I reckon he has got to be our next in line. BBO/JMK fight for the 14 and Wakeham ultimately leaves next year. Toia is good but I think Dufty will be around for awhile too.

1 Dufty
2 Allan
3 Alamoti
4 Naden
5 JAC
6 Burton
7 Hayward
8 Thompson
9 Mahoney
10 Pangai
11 Hetherington
12 Kikau
13 Jacko

14 BBO/JMK
15 King
16 Ava
17 Patolo

Kiwipup

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I actually have a very bad feeling about our halfback position going into the future....

It's quite obvious Trent has put the red line through Flanagan and will let him rot in Cup unless another club picks him up

Wakeham is also stuck in cup and is off contract this season....I dont think he will be re-signed, considering there is a utility playing halfback in first grade

There are no experienced halfbacks off contract, with only "Brooks" available if those rumours are true and at 900k that aint worth it one bit

That leaves only Averillo which showcases the blinkers Trent Barrett is seeing

I've watched Hayward and the kid is an amazing talent, and I really hope we have the resources and coaches around him, to give him every opportunity to become a long term halfback at the Dogs

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Although JMK had probs his best game I think we should be giving Cook a go at #9 where possible. Tbaz will get his chance after we lose a few games in the next month, it's assured if he keeps picking Knockonbore.

I would be giving Flanno a go at HB but it's very obvious they don't want him at the club or to give him a go with this years team. Too much salary for me to not atleast give him a few games as a last chance. Hell how many has Avo and Oka had with zero?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The continual hard on and obsession for Flanagan by a section of fans is worse than the Lewis era which is now thankfully over. I don't know why people think that these sorts of players just need one more chance when they've proven time and again that they aren't FG standard.

The fact that Lewis isn't playing anywhere and no club has signed Flanagan proves that other clubs don't think they're First Graders either and how delusional those that think they're good players are..

Last edited:

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Another Avo is not the answer thread really...
May not be the long term answer but he will be the 7 for a while to come you would think..depends a bit on how we fair over the next 6 rounds, plus the progression our halves pair make in that period of mostly tough games I suppose.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Knowing Baz 2023 will look something like this
1. Dufty*
2. JAC
3. Naden
4. Alamoti
5. Okunbor
6. Burton
7. Averillo
8. TPJ
9. Mahoney
10. Sutton
11. Kikau
12. Hetherington*
13. Jackson

14. JMK
15. Thompson* (1 of Thompson or Vaughan will need to go imo)
16. King*
17. Waddell

My side would be completely different

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
The continual hard on and obsession for Flanagan by a section of fans is worse than the Lewis era which is now thankfully over. I don't know why people need to think these sorts of players just need one more chance when they've proven time and again that they aren't FG standard.

The fact that Lewis isn't playing anywhere and no club has signed Flanagan proves that other clubs don't think they're First Graders either and how delusional those that think they're good players are..
I'm NOT a Flanno fan but I don't think anyone can say that Flanno has been given the same opportunities as Lewis, Avo, JMK and although not a half, Oka. He's getting paid heaps and didn't even get a fair go in the trial matches. All I'm saying is that no-one know's for sure unless he has been given the same opportunities as the previously mentioned guy's with this years team. If he fails again, fair enough. BUT not not even try is just limiting your options and amateur hour. He just may be the yin to Burto's yang. Either way we need something for 2023 so exhaust all options rather then just not even try. Fukin crazy!

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

1. Toia
6. Burton (c)
7. Hayward
9. Mahoney

Sorry Cartel but you don't know like the rest of us what goes on behind the scenes. Rumour has it that Flanno's expertise is not why Barrett doesnt pick him. Its mainly due to his beligerent attitude and disrespect for Barrett's authority.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
The continual hard on and obsession for Flanagan by a section of fans is worse than the Lewis era which is now thankfully over. I don't know why people need to think these sorts of players just need one more chance when they've proven time and again that they aren't FG standard.

Because some of our fans have ALWAYS had an obsession with constantly shuffling our team. The Flanagan thing is ridiculous though, Baz was literally sucking the ***** dick in the presser when we signed him and talked about him being Cleary like yet Flanagan STILL managed to piss Baz off within a couple of months.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'm NOT a Flanno fan but I don't think anyone can say that Flanno has been given the same opportunities as Lewis, Avo, JMK and although not a half, Oka. He's getting paid heaps and didn't even get a fair go in the trial matches. All I'm saying is that no-one know's for sure unless he has been given the same opportunities as the previously mentioned guy's with this years team. If he fails again, fair enough. BUT not not even try is just limiting your options and amateur hour. He just may be the yin to Burto's yang. Either way we need something for 2023 so exhaust all options rather then just not even try. Fukin crazy!
He's had plenty of opportunities with us and with the Roosters where he struggled badly at the end. And Cronulla before that. He's played 50 plus FG games. We know what he is at this point.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Because some of our fans have ALWAYS had an obsession with constantly shuffling our team. The Flanagan thing is ridiculous though, Baz was literally sucking the ***** dick in the presser when we signed him and talked about him being Cleary like yet Flanagan STILL managed to piss Baz off within a couple of months.
the post is embarrassing, every day we get a similar post, surely the mods can drop them all into one post?

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
He's had plenty of opportunities with us and with the Roosters where he struggled badly at the end. And Cronulla before that. He's played 50 plus FG games. We know what he is at this point.
He had opportunities with last years losers, not with Burto or our new backs? He hasn't been given the open ended cheque like Avo and Oka.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
He had opportunities with last years losers, not with Burto or our new backs? He hasn't been given the open ended cheque like Avo and Oka.
Jesus :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Chill for a few more rounds yet guys, Barrett is not going throw the whole preseason training away after 2 games. None of the 3 alternatives to Averillo, Wakeham, BBO or Flanagan, will fit the backline structure that we have trained to. We are playing 2 x wide, running halves so get used to it.

Always a Bulldog

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Flanagan was one of last years duds though. If he was in the team now he'd be worse than Averillo. If people want to make a case for anyone to replace Averillo, it should be for Wakeham who looked great in Reserves last week and seems to have improved over the offseason unlike Flanagan.