Our Attack?

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Much better line running should improve with every game

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The biggest reason for the win and i feel like people underestimate this is Burton's absolute monster boot.

Our biggest issue starts with JMK having absolutely no clue and then by the time any of our halves get the ball the opposition has already rushed up and they have no option but to shovel the ball to a forward for the same play we've done for the last 5 years.

We need to stand deeper and we need better service from DH. The times we looked very good was when BBO came on and we started to get a roll up the field but by that time there was only a few minutes left and we were going for percentage plays as opposed to trying to land the killer blow.

BBO needs to come on towards the end of both halves against a tiring defence. I don't get why Barrett doesn't see this, he needs to match fresh players on the interchange against a tiring opposition. Waddell and JMK should be subbed off at certain points in the game. We have a bench for a reason

xreedmatic

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We dont have a halfback and our game plan still consists of 4 hitups with a hail mary bomb on the last

Averillo out, Wakeham in

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Yesterday against Cowboys our attack was as predictable and unimaginative as it has been for the past few years.

One out running by forwards.
Flat footed backs receive the ball on the 3rd / 4th tackle.
No depth, no decoys, no motion.

We do the same thing when we have 6 tackles 10m out from the goal line. Why are we giving it to forwards for 3, 4 tackles?

Hetherington had his arms free to pass many times in the game - no-one backing up, no bodies in motion.

Our backline is standing flat - JAC is even getting in front of Naden.

There was a scrum 8 mins to go, 10m out from their line - Burton, Naden, JAC set left virtually man on man. We go right (ffs) then play 3 forward plays at the line - moment killed.

We look disorganized around the rucks.
Glad we got the win but we have a lot to do.
Attack was widely predicted to take time to gel, with so many new players. If it looks clunky and we still jag wins along the way, bonus. I think Mahoney is a major missing piece, he could make up for only having 1.5 halves. Kikau will also add a lot. So next year will be better whatever happens. And we could have used TPJ's x factor last week, a bit more punch at their line and his offload, would have been nice.

One thing i think we need to and will improve is: we have players able to offload all over the park, moreso when TPJ returns, so we need more players following around those players.

Hetho, TPJ, Thompson, Jackson all have offloads. Kikau too when he arrives. Dufty will be one who will improve selecting who to follow around, and wasnt bad last week, but we need more than him supporting players. Lamb was the best support player we ever had. A half. The halves need to do it more. Actually anyone near these players should be looking for the offload

Reactions: 88

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
That’s a ridiculous post mate and you know it. Where did I say to drop him?? I have said multiple times that I like Jake and he is our best option at the moment but he is not a 7.

FMD, you, Marley and Steve sometimes go on like he is the second coming of JT. A little bit of perspective won’t hurt.
All 17 players are on borrowed time. Reputations don't count for shit, all of them are required to perform or be replaced.

No one is saying that Jake's the answer but to to give him a chance and see if he has what it takes

I'm not referring to your posts but read through this thread and the forum, there are some that are just shitting on him purely for shitting on him. There's zero acknowledgement of the good things he does. Some of them want Kyle ffs, Kyle should never ever see 1st grade ever again (except maybe for tigers because they're dumb enough to take him).

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Some on here bag Shane Flanagan but at least he seems to see some things that Barrett doesn't. After we wasted 6 tackles on the Cowboys tryline with one out runs Flanagan said in Fox commentary how teams need to really attack on "every" tackle in good ball position (ie: not waste tackles with hit-ups).

From the way we play it seems Barrett doesn't get that. I think we'd definitely improve if Flanagan was coaching us.
I'm convinced that Barrett's system in attacking sets is about using crash balls searching for a quick play the ball to generate a good look the next tackle.

Thoughts?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
It starts from dummy half, then the halves, there's no way Mahoney will set-up settler followed by settler or allow our players to not run onto the ball. He will lose his shit and players will change. JMK just happy to be there.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The biggest reason for the win and i feel like people underestimate this is Burton's absolute monster boot.

Our biggest issue starts with JMK having absolutely no clue and then by the time any of our halves get the ball the opposition has already rushed up and they have no option but to shovel the ball to a forward for the same play we've done for the last 5 years.

We need to stand deeper and we need better service from DH. The times we looked very good was when BBO came on and we started to get a roll up the field but by that time there was only a few minutes left and we were going for percentage plays as opposed to trying to land the killer blow.

BBO needs to come on towards the end of both halves against a tiring defence. I don't get why Barrett doesn't see this, he needs to match fresh players on the interchange against a tiring opposition. Waddell and JMK should be subbed off at certain points in the game. We have a bench for a reason
Spot on with this post.
BBO can play flat. JMK cannot.
Its either stand deeper and run onto the ball or play BBO.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Yesterday against Cowboys our attack was as predictable and unimaginative as it has been for the past few years.

One out running by forwards.
Flat footed backs receive the ball on the 3rd / 4th tackle.
No depth, no decoys, no motion.

We do the same thing when we have 6 tackles 10m out from the goal line. Why are we giving it to forwards for 3, 4 tackles?

Hetherington had his arms free to pass many times in the game - no-one backing up, no bodies in motion.

Our backline is standing flat - JAC is even getting in front of Naden.

There was a scrum 8 mins to go, 10m out from their line - Burton, Naden, JAC set left virtually man on man. We go right (ffs) then play 3 forward plays at the line - moment killed.

We look disorganized around the rucks.
Glad we got the win but we have a lot to do.
it was 2nd game, it was pissing down rain before and during the game. Should have been 3 tries to 2, stop the fuck winging. Let them get their combinations.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
All 17 players are on borrowed time. Reputations don't count for shit, all of them are required to perform or be replaced.

No one is saying that Jake's the answer but to to give him a chance and see if he has what it takes

I'm not referring to your posts but read through this thread and the forum, there are some that are just shitting on him purely for shitting on him. There's zero acknowledgement of the good things he does. Some of them want Kyle ffs, Kyle should never ever see 1st grade ever again (except maybe for tigers because they're dumb enough to take him).
Nah, I think the only one on borrowed time is Trent “I’m walk-in the green mile” Barrett.

Avo has a spot somewhere in our best 17 side, probably at Centre, Fullback or 14. At the moment it’s 7 because it’s our best option.

I agree that there is some stupid deathriding of one of our own players that actually has some talent.

But he does have some warts that need attending, like staying in the game.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Watch the game again separate from the emotion. There are some good signs, we probably left 24 points out there tbh.

The timing will get better with game time together, but we still don't go through the backs enough in good ball positions.
Yeah i havent had a chance to do that yet but I noticed one thing very important last night.. nobody runs off any ones hip. Dufty ran once inside for Burton to throw the ball and we scored a try, other than that nobody gave the ball players a runner.

We are still stuck in catch pass footy rather than run onto and pick your pass plays.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Yeah i havent had a chance to do that yet but I noticed one thing very important last night.. nobody runs off any ones hip. Dufty ran once inside for Burton to throw the ball and we scored a try, other than that nobody gave the ball players a runner.

We are still stuck in catch pass footy rather than run onto and pick your pass plays.
that will come in time, all teams practice and train this. It about the players knowing which players have the ability to pass before or after the line

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I’m afraid JMK does not know how to get his forwards on the front foot. In the modern game the hooker is the general. He just doesn’t have it. More quicker and crisper service from dummy half gives the halves that little bit extra time when they get the ball. I like JMK because he tries really hard and wants to better his game. But he just hasn’t got it.

Magilla

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Yep. I noticed the same things as you.
Its been the same mentality since the 90s. The only time it changed was with Sherwin-Anasta or Kimmorley calling for the ball.

We are without doubt the ugliest playing team in the comp. Dont let last nights win fool you. The opposition was just poorer on the night.

We look completely uncoached or we train to play this dumb and ineffective way.

I tend to blame Barrett, JMK, Burton and Averillo. Between them, they should be able to identify this ongoing problem and do something about it.

I watch our games and inside the 20m, i just wish we could replace our forwards with backs - NFL style
Same mentality!! Where have you been? 1995, 98, 2002, 2004, 2012? Great teams that played with flair.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I honestly wasn't expecting a polished looking side this week. In our backline only Averillo and Okunbor have played before and I doubt it was together. In training conditions the players might get a slight feel for what their team mates can do, but game day is a different situation. For a few weeks, individuals might do something special, after that the players might start knowing what to expect from the bloke beside them.

I know people would have liked to see us run out like a well drilled unit. But a team featuring almost 50% new players is going to be a bit clunky.

Be happy with the win and patient about how we develop as a team. I think given our last couple of seasons, a win of any sort is something we should enjoy. I know at times last year we played some of our best football and still lost by 2-6 points.

Magilla

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Some on here bag Shane Flanagan but at least he seems to see some things that Barrett doesn't. After we wasted 6 tackles on the Cowboys tryline with one out runs Flanagan said in Fox commentary how teams need to really attack on "every" tackle in good ball position (ie: not waste tackles with hit-ups).

From the way we play it seems Barrett doesn't get that. I think we'd definitely improve if Flanagan was coaching us.
Thanks scoop