Our Attack?

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Seriously some of you are only here just to shit on Jake Averillo

No other reason

There were potential signs there, that they are building on something that's been different than the shit we've had for the past 4 years

Given the penalty count, conditions and it being the FIRST FUCKING GAME, give them a chance to build an understanding on the field ffs.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I saw a few times Burton and Avo talking and trying to set up plays, with Burton switching sides to take the defence by surprise

It was their first game, it'll take some time but that combo will get stronger
Yeah, Dufty on inside shoulders etc. Fully expect JAC to go ball hunting at some point too.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Its like watching a drunken pub fight at times, put the bomb up ffs and contest! Anything..

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Seriously some of you are only here just to shit on Jake Averillo

No other reason

There were potential signs there, that they are building on something that's been different than the shit we've had for the past 4 years

Given the penalty count, conditions and it being the FIRST FUCKING GAME, give them a chance to build an understanding on the field ffs.
Mate.. some of the Avo jizz festing is almost as bad as some of the dumb death riding of him..

He looked to have more intent in his running in round 1 and he is building a connection with Burton which is great, but he still goes missing and needs to stay committed for the full 80 as a 7.

Personally, I loved the grit we showed but I worry that a lot of it was emotionally driven and not structured. Our best footy looked to be as lib and not “coach whisperer” inspired.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Mate.. some of the Avo jizz festing is almost as bad as some of the dumb death riding of him..

He looked to have more intent in his running in round 1 and he is building a connection with Burton which is great, but he still goes missing and needs to stay committed for the full 80 as a 7.

Personally, I loved the grit we showed but I worry that a lot of it was emotionally driven and not structured. Our best footy looked to be as lib and not “coach whisperer” inspired.
Who's actually doing a jizz festival over Averillo though?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I liked it when the swing around to the left side and had Averillo and Burton combine.
We have as you say changed structure from last year.
JMK is terrible but BBO adds spark.
Dufty is a much better fb than we have had for some time too.

And don’t forget burtons goal from sideline which won us the game
Yh we look promising when we play towards the left, just need to do it more often and with more variation. Burton also swinging to the right and at time being Naden with him, Dufty shifting to the left, etc. There's a bit more to our play more but like I said we just need to see it more often....it's like we only have one real attacking play per set.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

Baz there's no avo jizz fest, I mean cmon.

It's he's got potential, give him a go in a competent team with a competent halves partner, and a serviceable fullback/rest of the team

It's a let a player with potential be given the chance to build on it.

Our 1st half vs Parra last year with Avo and Wakeham in the halves was more than a pass mark. And this is Avos first game with Burton (who we can both agree is far greater than wakeham) and they showed some signs of linking up

Lastly he's 21 years old playing first grade with a brand new team after last seasons confidence sapping clusterfuck.

Let's give it a few rounds before the pitchforks come out. Reading some of the comments here, there's zero acknowledgement of good things he did do, it's just a shit on him contest

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The conditions were terrible.. rain, high humidity and high temperature yet we still created more try scoring chances than the Cowboys. We've also changed the way our spine links up compared to last season and the trials and there were a few good moments that we can build off.

There's obvious issues like JMK's awful service, not having an out and out on field general, lack of polish and chemistry, too many dead plays, etc...but people need to be realistic, we're not a top 8 team right now so don't expect us to play like one. We're hopefully building towards that this season and have continued to recruit key players that address our current weaknesses.
Exactly bro , and that’s why ugly wins like last night are like worth double to us as we continue to build on combinations and look more fluid in attack

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Who's actually doing a jizz festival over Averillo though?
Ok, call me out on Jizz fest…What I am alluding to is there are several members that appear to defend Jake regardless of how he is travelling.

I think nearly all of us want to see him do well regardless of position, but you can’t always blame the 9 or the structure or the coach for his input.

I think he is out of position and will never be a 7 and so do plenty of others including those in the game, but we are short on options at the moment.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Ok, call me out on Jizz fest…What I am alluding to is there are several members that appear to defend Jake regardless of how he is travelling.

I think nearly all of us want to see him do well regardless of position, but you can’t always blame the 9 or the structure or the coach for his input.

I think he is out of position and will never be a 7 and so do plenty of others including those in the game, but we are short on options at the moment.
Ok let's drop him completely.

Who do we put in?

How long until people start shitting on BBO too?

Flanagan should never ever be near the team ever again

Wakeham will be shitted on too

Jake's the best option at the moment and he does have potential

We cant sign anyone else (this season)

dhoo8450

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep. I noticed the same things as you.
Its been the same mentality since the 90s. The only time it changed was with Sherwin-Anasta or Kimmorley calling for the ball.

We are without doubt the ugliest playing team in the comp. Dont let last nights win fool you. The opposition was just poorer on the night.

We look completely uncoached or we train to play this dumb and ineffective way.

I tend to blame Barrett, JMK, Burton and Averillo. Between them, they should be able to identify this ongoing problem and do something about it.

I watch our games and inside the 20m, i just wish we could replace our forwards with backs - NFL style
Burton has played one (two if you count the trial) game for us. What do you expect from him in one game?

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This win is particularly good as the team is still very new and were playing the Cowboys very much on their own turf and I don't just mean the home-ground advantage.
What most people (keyboard coaches) forget is that the squad had to play to the conditions and that was; sweltering, wet, slippery, and physically draining particularly if you don't train in those conditions and are not used to them like the cowboys are, so expansive fast play becomes very risky. Rotten conditions mean safety-first football and they played it very well!
Mind you, If they play similarly on a dry track I would begin to ask questions...

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ok let's drop him completely.

Who do we put in?

How long until people start shitting on BBO too?

Flanagan should never ever be near the team ever again

Wakeham will be shitted on too

Jake's the best option at the moment and he does have potential

We cant sign anyone else (this season)
That’s a ridiculous post mate and you know it. Where did I say to drop him?? I have said multiple times that I like Jake and he is our best option at the moment but he is not a 7.

FMD, you, Marley and Steve sometimes go on like he is the second coming of JT. A little bit of perspective won’t hurt.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some on here bag Shane Flanagan but at least he seems to see some things that Barrett doesn't. After we wasted 6 tackles on the Cowboys tryline with one out runs Flanagan said in Fox commentary how teams need to really attack on "every" tackle in good ball position (ie: not waste tackles with hit-ups).

From the way we play it seems Barrett doesn't get that. I think we'd definitely improve if Flanagan was coaching us.