News Dogs’ face $1m problem: Every club’s biggest selection headache

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would drop Averillo for that performance we need to install some respect for our first grade expectations and performances. We need to honour the half back jumper at the club. It has been worn by champions and not any fucking chump should put it on, you must earn the 7.

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
TBH the only player for now to partner Burton is Averillo his the best we have, and hopefully Burton brings out the best in Averillo.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's been a while since I saw Barrett play, but I don't recall him ever being an "organising 1/2" he was hard running 5/8. My recollections are that Hornby was the "organising 1/2" when Barrett played.

Always a Bulldog
I was thinking the same thing yesterday but i don't think it was Hornby.. maybe Willie Peters?

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing yesterday but i don't think it was Hornby.. maybe Willie Peters?
Baz was a bloody good player. He was a five eighth who could also play halfback. Not a traditional halfback but still a decent player who could organise when he had to.

He played halfback when Mundine was at Dragons and then later on at the Sharks. He also played halfback a few times for NSW

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Baz was a bloody good player. He was a five eighth who could also play halfback. Not a traditional halfback but still a decent player who could organise when he had to.

He played halfback when Mundine was at Dragons and then later on at the Sharks. He also played halfback a few times for NSW
Yep.. He was Saints halfback in their GF against Melbourne and at later when he was at Cronulla like you said.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I laugh at how often the media mention Kyle Flanagan. They even had a Flanagan cam in our trial waiting for him to get on. And when he did, he dropped it cold when trying to kick it but luckily for him we got a penalty.

The media know he's rubbish. They just have an easy story to print whenever our other halves are struggling and make it seem like we're keeping an immortal in Reserves just to add hysteria and to sensationalise everything.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It's been a while since I saw Barrett play, but I don't recall him ever being an "organising 1/2" he was hard running 5/8. My recollections are that Hornby was the "organising 1/2" when Barrett played.

Always a Bulldog
As Howie B said, he was a halfback at Saints with Mundine and at Cronulla. He was always more of a traditional running 5/8th at Illawarra but when they merged, he had to change his game as Mundine took that role and Barrett had to organise more, do more of the kicking and play first receiver more.

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark St John probably should have watched all of our game on the weekend.

Flannos first touch he knocked the ball on cold.

That was literally the only thing he did, infact Khaled Rajeb did more in his 5 minutes on the field than Flanno.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
How is this even true? Can they back it up with stats or just talking out of their arse?
The latter given The Flange signed a 3 year deal to start with. Unless he can be offloaded he’s here until the end of 2023.

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
This the reason why I want salaries made public as one week you get these drop kicks saying 400k, then 500k then a million.
The pros outweigh the cons, salary cap should be Open book, ready to scrutinise, otherwise get rid of it. The players are almost like public servants, their wages should be disclosed to make a fair competition, that's why the cap is there first place.

While at it, also, transfer fees compensation money, clubs should disclose what's been played when a player manages to switch between clubs mid contract. Not often, but I know it happens, the transfer process is not bad or good, just business.

Dawain87

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What i dont understand is that we clearly have a problem within the halves and we have a coach who played in the halves heck he even won a Dally M in that position in 2000.

What is the issue, are the players not listening to him? has the game changed so much his experience don't mean much? Is it a confidence issue?
There's definitely something there that we are all missing.