News Stand up’: Dogs’ big issue ‘reared its head again’ — and Barrett has run out of patience

BondiBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Braith was trying so hard to contain himself when Barrett was being interviewed after the match.

Very strong rumours that Adam Reynolds was happy to stay at Souths for 650k
I’m sure an astute negotiator could have got him across for around that money. So yeah not quite Kikau money (considerably less)
Feels like a bit of a kick to the guys especially after we executed our ‘get out of jail free’ card with Elliot and then let Cotric go. (This seems even crazier now watching Okunbor run around last night)

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Dont get me started, I am being good and keeping my powder dry for at least 5 or 6 FG games. But I am yet to see anything from our team last year or this year that even looks like a structure that he is implimenting. Great players dont always become great coaches, but all players can become better with a good coach.
Never really rated Craig Bellamy as a player but he is a great coach. Although some of his tactics are questionable....he is at least willing to push the envelope at times??? Always searching for an advantage to exploit.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Guys it all went south when Hasler joined the club…. That’s when our identity and culture changed and I remember supporters noticing it back then…
There are too many good people now at the top of the club for us have our culture threatend like that again, and surley we cant just keep Barrett becuase he is a good bloke and talks well?

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Trent Barrett is done making excuses for his halfbacks and wants either Jake Averillo or Kyle Flanagan to stand up and take ownership of the Bulldogs attacking end of sets.

In the aftermath of his side’s 16-16 draw with the Knights in their second last trial before the season kicks off, Barrett admitted his side are still struggling with their fifth tackle options, an issue that plagued them all last season.

“Yeah, look, it was a funny one tonight,” Barrett told Fox League.

“I said pre-game I was worried, or, not worried, but our set ends were going to be really important.

And it was what we had problems with last year. And it reared its head again tonight. That’s why Burton’s been brought to the club.

“He’ll obviously be our dominant playmaker, our dominant kicker. But we need the [No.] 7 to stand up.”

Jake Averillo, who was Barrett’s preferred halfback for much of 2021 started the trial at No.7, but only managed 31 run metres and nine tackles with zero try or linebreak involvements.

Flanagan, who has fallen out of favour with Barrett since being let go by the Roosters and brought to the club on a substantial three-year deal, had zero run metres, zero try or linebreak involvements and an error in limited minutes.

In Burton’s absence, starting five-eighth Brandon Wakeham was probably the pick of the halves with 23 run metres, an offload and a linebreak assist.

However neither of the three are consistently creating opportunities for their teammates to score when in good field position, which will place plenty of pressure on Burton to carry the team’s attack.

Barrett admits his side need to get better at icing the end of their sets or they won’t climb up the ladder in a hurry after finishing last season with the wooden spoon.

“I thought we were scratchy in parts of our attack; not a lot of continuity there, which I thought would happen,” Barrett said.

“But we got a fair bit of good ball there at the back end of the game, and we just need someone to stand up and take control of the side.

“They’re young, I get it. But that’s the job, and we’ve got some work to do this week.”
I am sure I'm not alone noticing this and I'm sure TBaz does too, we've been in this predicament for many years with no evidence of improvement...
In attack we have the slowest play ball, no fight or urgency to get out of tackles knowing every second count. play the ball from dummy half is ordinary and misdirected at times, the halves lack cohesion and enterprise, as a result the opposing defenders are always ready to nullify our ever so slow attack.
In defence we have few jersey grabbers and bad readers, if we don't attack like a pack with our defence we will never again be the Dogs of War !
My message to TBaz, if he is to become a successful coach
Brave decisions have to be made !!! for 1 7 9 8

In defense we

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Given Averillo, Flanagan and Wakeham have proven beyond doubt that they are not up to FG standard at HB, I reckon Baz has two choices. Find a solution from within the squad or go out and buy a HB.
From within the squad a possible solution could be Cook DH, JMK HB and BBO 14. I was impressed with Kurt Falls for Penrith over the weekend. It might be worth Gus having a chat with him.
I thought Falls was good too ,he showed good composure and kicking game looks to be a natural 7. We could do worse than chase him if BBO doesn't work out at 7

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Guys it all went south when Hasler joined the club…. That’s when our identity and culture changed and I remember supporters noticing it back then…
I will never forgive him for disallowing the team to celebrate with the supporters making the 2012 grand final...How cruel was he ?

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Burton has a chance to make this team his own, yes there is a lot of pressure. But I think he will thrive an grow because of it… he will shine for our blue and white doggies.!!!

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Hes a premiership winning half from a good team. So rare. I expect at least a million
i think it was close to that and he isnt worth it.
lets just wait till burton plays and the combination he has with Averillo. They have trained all year as Burton the dominate kicker, lets hope the combination works.
They do alot of opposed work so the combination must be working.
i think back a few year ago at belmore and a virtual dogs reserve grade team beat a full strength panthers team, we finished down the bottom and the penrith near the top. It can happen in trials.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Baz knows he needs to fix this shit yesterday because Gus will not tolerate mediocrity for much longer. I wouldn't be surprised if Baz is flicked before the end of the season if we keep attacking like this. I don't care how good our defense is, or how many attacking guns we have in our side but if our fucking forwards keep getting the ball at first receiver in the opposition 20 it's going to be a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG year (for us fans....Baz will be sacked before round 20)
I don't think Baz is under pressure.
Gould knows the halves are not playing well and stepping up.
It's clear they have worked hard over the off season yet the players are not executing what they are being asked to do.

That's not on Baz.
GOULD will move on these hacks.
Just need to find the right replacement player.
Such a shame we couldn't snag Adam Reynolds

Birddog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Trent Barrett is done making excuses for his halfbacks and wants either Jake Averillo or Kyle Flanagan to stand up and take ownership of the Bulldogs attacking end of sets.

In the aftermath of his side’s 16-16 draw with the Knights in their second last trial before the season kicks off, Barrett admitted his side are still struggling with their fifth tackle options, an issue that plagued them all last season.

“Yeah, look, it was a funny one tonight,” Barrett told Fox League.

“I said pre-game I was worried, or, not worried, but our set ends were going to be really important.

And it was what we had problems with last year. And it reared its head again tonight. That’s why Burton’s been brought to the club.

“He’ll obviously be our dominant playmaker, our dominant kicker. But we need the [No.] 7 to stand up.”

Jake Averillo, who was Barrett’s preferred halfback for much of 2021 started the trial at No.7, but only managed 31 run metres and nine tackles with zero try or linebreak involvements.

Flanagan, who has fallen out of favour with Barrett since being let go by the Roosters and brought to the club on a substantial three-year deal, had zero run metres, zero try or linebreak involvements and an error in limited minutes.

In Burton’s absence, starting five-eighth Brandon Wakeham was probably the pick of the halves with 23 run metres, an offload and a linebreak assist.

However neither of the three are consistently creating opportunities for their teammates to score when in good field position, which will place plenty of pressure on Burton to carry the team’s attack.

Barrett admits his side need to get better at icing the end of their sets or they won’t climb up the ladder in a hurry after finishing last season with the wooden spoon.

“I thought we were scratchy in parts of our attack; not a lot of continuity there, which I thought would happen,” Barrett said.

“But we got a fair bit of good ball there at the back end of the game, and we just need someone to stand up and take control of the side.

“They’re young, I get it. But that’s the job, and we’ve got some work to do this week.”
More like he's run out if ideas, he has had all off season to work his attack and half magic and first game he is already piling on the pressure and passing the buck.

I hope this part was a mis quote

" I said pre-game I was worried, or, not worried, but our set ends were going to be really important."

WTF sort of comment is that no wonder the play makers could make a decision when the coach offers such great inspirational quotes :D

Only the first trial key players still not gelled or playing so willing to overlook but fk me barret start coaching will ya.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I think he would have already if he could have based off their poor form last year, like flanno no would take them unless they have rocks in their head.
At some point their contracts will run out.
Gould will do a deal with a super league club if need be.
I trust it will all be taken care of my next season

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Flanagan, Averillo and Wakeham are not First Grade level footballers.

Whilst still not ideal.

JMK is our best option at 7
Cook showed enough last night to show he is a genuine 9.
BBO can cover 7 & 9

6. Burton
7. JMK
9. Cook
14. BBO
Almost everyone says JMK is useless, so what makes you think he could be our saviours 7? This idea makes no sense whatsoever to me.